Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times

Advertisements

I'm laughing because of the irony with your nic, because when I get lazy, I pick up sushi. It's so easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 03:16 PM

165 posts, read 1,024,601 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! And those wrapped dill pickles sound really interesting!

I did a total turnarond from my original plan of the dip in the sourdough bowl - I brought brownies with a cream cheese topping. Everyone raved about them and they were all gobbled up. Yay! It worked out well because the dip would have made too much for the number of people there.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
Exclamation Potluck dishes

help! I have to take a main dish to feed about 50 people to my daughter's cast party on Saturday. TONS of children, so it has to be child friendly. I was thinking chicken wings or spaghetti with bolognese sauce The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Ree Drummond (could keep it warm in a crockpot and it's CHEAP enough to make a lot).

Any other ideas? I really don't want to spend more than $20-25.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
rice goes a long way...you can add a protein of some kind to it and some veggies, maybe a sort of stir-fry, but with everything chopped a bit smaller.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:11 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
help! I have to take a main dish to feed about 50 people to my daughter's cast party on Saturday. TONS of children, so it has to be child friendly. I was thinking chicken wings or spaghetti with bolognese sauce The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Ree Drummond (could keep it warm in a crockpot and it's CHEAP enough to make a lot).

Any other ideas? I really don't want to spend more than $20-25.
Cheeseburger Pizza you make at home
Mexican Lasagna
Chili and Toppings Bar (since you have a crockpot)
Pups In Blankets
Seven Layer Nachos
Macaroni and Cheese with Hot Dog Slices
Sloppy Joes
(make the meat filling on the stove, serve it from
the crockpot)

Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
How old are the kids?

Would be hard to beat homemade mac & cheese. Check out alton brown good eats.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:34 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
party potatoes can't be beat. EZ to make. I agree with Capt. Cave Man on the mac-n-cheese.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
This sesame pasta salad is really good. You can serve it hot or cold--I would make it early in the day or the day before and serve it cold.

Sesame Pasta Chicken Salad - All Recipes

If you multiply the recipe by 3, you'll have plenty. Remember that with party food, especially if there are other things to eat, people never eat as much as at a sit-down dinner. Kids will probably be talking and horsing around instead of eating, anyway, so don't make 50 servings!

Assuming you have vegetable oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, white sugar, black pepper, and ground ginger at home, your grocery list would be:

1 jar sesame seeds - $3
3 boxes/bags dried pasta - $4
Sesame oil - $3
3-lb bag frozen chicken - $8
Bunch green onions - $2
Bunch cilantro - $1

About $20. If you spend a couple dollars more, you can get two rotisserie chickens from the deli counter at the grocery store and shred the meat. That'll save you having to thaw and grill or broil the chicken, and you'll have some meat leftover. You can make a soup or some enchiladas.

Note: As many of the reviews state, cut the oil down from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup for each batch. That's what I do, and it's plenty of dressing. If you use the full amount in the recipe, many reviewers say it's way too oily.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:54 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Mini hot roast beef sandwiches from the crockpot. I get Italian roast beef from the deli and put it in the crock pot with a mix of beef broth and gravy. Where I live, you can usually get the gravy from the deli and it is better than canned. Serve on mini rolls like slider rolls. Adults can add horseradish. Another is sloppy joes made in the crockpot. I agree about mac and cheese. Kids love that.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Hot roast beef or meatball sandwiches (this is just what I remember from every big party growing up). Sloppy joes is another good choice, or some sort of pasta like baked ziti, mac n cheese, or your bolognese idea.

I was also a very picky eater growing up, but liked all of these options. I wouldn't have eaten pasta salad or seven layer nachos (now I would, but not then). Just one thing to think about, no need to kill yourself if you've got picky eaters who just want spagetti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink