U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:38 PM

2,402 posts, read 2,022,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibarfast View Post
Hello.

I do it all, if i don't it wont get done. I live on my own except for the cat and she's no help..
Lol!!!

Doing it by the self is the best way to have the place look the way one wants... nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM

50,021 posts, read 42,368,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibarfast View Post
Hello.

I do it all, if i don't it wont get done. I live on my own except for the cat and she's no help..
well you need to get a dog, they are easier to trian. Our cats have trained us: darn cats!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 AM

135 posts, read 84,378 times
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well you need to get a dog, they are easier to trian. Our cats have trained us: darn cats!!!!
It's the subversive way they do it though .

Old 03-05-2012, 10:45 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
That tradeoff doesn't work will at my place. When I cook, I keep everything tidy, and clean up as I go, or at least start things soaking. So after dinner cleaning up is pretty minimal. But when my wife cooks, it looks like they filmed a chase scene in the kitchen, and we can almost file an insurance claim in there.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 AM

4,143 posts, read 2,842,200 times
When my husband was alive he liked to help-out and hang-out with the women (in the kitchen) at family/ friend gatherings..He didn't want to sit in the den with the men and "talk sports." Cooking was more exciting to him. And he enjoyed talking about anything and everything with the women versus being limited to "just sports!"

Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM

4,143 posts, read 2,842,200 times
I like to be neat and tidy and clean-up all along the way. But it doesn't always work out this way. My family members and close friends tend to be "big talkers!" Me too!... So "cleaning as I go" can be put on the back-burner at times when conversations get interesting! But I do try to put food away as soon as possible so nothing sits out too long.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM

1,545 posts, read 827,369 times
We both clean as we go when we cook; we take turns cooking so the final cleanup goes to the one who didn't cook

Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,568,411 times
I was raised by a mother that thought kids were given to her to clean up after her. When DH and I began our life together, I made it clear, make as much of a mess as you like, but clean it up.

Sadly, we are still working on his timing....

Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 AM

50,021 posts, read 42,368,204 times
QUOTE=LookinForMayberry;23274836]I was raised by a mother that thought kids were given to her to clean up after her. When DH and I began our life together, I made it clear, make as much of a mess as you like, but clean it up.

Sadly, we are still working on his timing.... [/quote]

to funny, I was just thinking something similar when cleaning the kitchen the other night: I grew up doing the dishes with my sister from the time I was about 8 years old. Then she (who was 6 years older than me) left for college so I did them by myself for years. Mom and dad watched TV or listened to the radio while I cleaned up. Then I got married and I continued to do them. In fact, except for a few years I don't think the kids helped much. Mom thought, like yours, I was put on earth to clean the kitchen and hubby thinks the same: maybe it is true?

Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,142 posts, read 8,316,400 times
Default Who cooks in your house? Dad or Mom?

Me and my wife split it up. She's Japanese, I'm a Southern boy, but I don't do a lot of Southern dishes....they typically have a lot of salt and fat. But I do do a lot of "mainstream" American dishes. Beef stew, spaghetti and meatballs, salisbury steak and rice, hamburgers, mac and cheese, etc. She does a lot of Japanese dishes, ramen, udon, dry curry, etc.

My Dad, bless his soul, is not a great cook. He's great on making sausage and grilling, though. My mom thinks anything past salt and pepper is exotic. I love to cook and try new things. My mom thinks that Walmart frozen biscuits are awesome. She does a lot of canned stuff + something deep fried, or just fried, and some fresh vegetables from the garden. I'd say that in the 18 years I spent in my home, my Dad cooked the main course about once or twice a month, while I remember mom doing it almost every day.

For myself, I'd say 1/2 of the week, I cook. We tend to offer to do the dishes for the person cooking. Sometimes, we just clean up after ourselves. (To give the other person a break, eh?) I think it's kind of cool to be able to prepare a meal that your family enjoys.

Was just curious how you guys do it. Wondering how many men take over the cooking duties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink