U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

I saw an add for a Japanese 'curry cheese bowl' snack/pre-made meal which sounds kinda gross...but then I've had Paneer cheese curry which is great, but the idea of Japanese curry with cheese? Also the Elvis sandwich, you know the one with peanut butter, bacon etc...

What weird combos of otherwise normal foods are COMMONPLACE in some regions/countries? I.e. not just some person's idea of an experiment. I know, for instance, some cuisines use fruit a lot more in main meals than others as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 PM
 
653 posts, read 697,718 times
Reputation: 408
Well, I don't think it's odd since I'm Greek, but some people find it odd that several Greek dishes call for yogurt on meat.

My grandmother used to make a chicken and rice dish then smother it with plain yogurt. When I was a little kid, it was one of the only meat dishes, other than fish sticks, that I'd eat. lol

I don't care for chicken now, but I still put plain yogurt on other warm savory dishes and it's divine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Well, I don't think it's odd since I'm Greek, but some people find it odd that several Greek dishes call for yogurt on meat.

My grandmother used to make a chicken and rice dish then smother it with plain yogurt. When I was a little kid, it was one of the only meat dishes, other than fish sticks, that I'd eat. lol

I don't care for chicken now, but I still put plain yogurt on other warm savory dishes and it's divine.
Yoghurt is commonly an accompaniment to a lot of Indian dishes, curries etc. I like to mix it more with fresh vegetables, I don't really think it adds anything to the curry itself, which is creamy enough and I don't like tangy tastes in stewy dishes.

I wonder if this is a Middle Eastern thing as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
 
653 posts, read 697,718 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yoghurt is commonly an accompaniment to a lot of Indian dishes, curries etc. I like to mix it more with fresh vegetables, I don't really think it adds anything to the curry itself, which is creamy enough and I don't like tangy tastes in stewy dishes.

I wonder if this is a Middle Eastern thing as well.
Yes, that region shares a lot of traits with Greece, not just regarding food. i.e. there are several Persian dishes (and even art) that you'd swear were Greek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
4,102 posts, read 4,993,638 times
Reputation: 11837
My Grandma loved Peanut Butter and Bacon, sounds nasty but it's not all that bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
Reputation: 17199
I love PB and bacon mmmmm. My dad liked bologna sandwiches with PB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,805,737 times
Reputation: 2169
Talking about Japanese foods...
One of my fav. is their fish waffle / pancakes that is shaped like a fish & sweet cheese filled... yummy!!!
Some people think it weird but I love it.

Redbean icecream & sweet corn milk is some other items that I do not find in US that I grew up with.

Dunno... it is hard for me to find food weird anymore...
Especially not when I craved apples & raw onions when pregnant.
DD when in my stomach made me craved sushi & sashimi... use to eat that 2X a week while carrying her.
She grew up just fine... and she's able to eat raw fish without problem since at the age of 2.

I just love food and am willing to try anything new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 AM
 
653 posts, read 697,718 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Talking about Japanese foods...
One of my fav. is their fish waffle / pancakes that is shaped like a fish & sweet cheese filled... yummy!!!
Some people think it weird but I love it.

Redbean icecream & sweet corn milk is some other items that I do not find in US that I grew up with.

Dunno... it is hard for me to find food weird anymore...
Especially not when I craved apples & raw onions when pregnant.
DD when in my stomach made me craved sushi & sashimi... use to eat that 2X a week while carrying her.
She grew up just fine... and she's able to eat raw fish without problem since at the age of 2.

I just love food and am willing to try anything new.
Here in Baltimore, I can think of a half a dozen places within driving distance of where I'm sitting that has it. Perhaps it's easier to find in larger cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Peanuts, bananas and cocoa are often combined in main course dishes in Africa. Try it, it's really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 PM
 
653 posts, read 697,718 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Peanuts, bananas and cocoa are often combined in main course dishes in Africa. Try it, it's really good.
Peanuts, bananas, and cocoa? Sounds amazing.

You know what? I love ethnic food, but I don't recall ever having food from Africa. Thanks for the tip! (I'm totally Googling restaurants now, too. DC has to have at least one ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top