U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What do you think of seafood?
Totally overrated, I really dislike it 8 9.52%
I can take it or leave it 8 9.52%
I love seafood 68 80.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 AM

24,693 posts, read 18,052,262 times
Default Do you think seafood is overrated?

Most kinds of seafood are totally overrated IMHO. I only really like well done fish, and maybe lobster and crab, but the other kinds - a no thanks for me.

Prawns can be okay if very fresh and well marinated.

Mussels and oysters - rubbery, slimey texture, little taste or too fishy. I've had chilli mussels before and I tried to focus on the taste of the chilli. Basically water dwelling snails.

Squid, octopus, cuttlefish - Although dried spiced cuttlefish is passable, on the whole not a fan at all. I will take calamari, but more for the batter. I'd probably prefer to peel off the batter/crumbing and let someone eat the actual rings, which taste like rubber to me.

Caviar, fish roe - Yuck

All the less commonly eaten sea creatures like sea cucumber, clam (although I do like clam chowder)...no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 AM

11,023 posts, read 5,748,128 times
noooo way. Oysters [natural]
prawns, octopus, barramundi, snapper, actually almost anything {as long as its fresh}

Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 23 days ago)

21,022 posts, read 22,214,952 times
I don't think seafood is overrated. It looks like some people just don't like the way is prepared, or maybe the texture/taste of it. That's actually has nothing to do with being overrated. There is lots of really great seafood dishes that are healthy, delicious and contribute to the variety of our foods.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 AM

Hmmm...I just find it funny that my tastebuds are generally in agreement with the 'majority' yet...

I.e. I love most junk food, fried chicken, pizza, pies, hamburgers, I love good steak, mashed potato, good ingredients...pretty much what most people tend to like. I'm not sure the percentage who love seafood, but it seems significant. There are quite a few who don't like it so maybe seafood is more a 'love it or hate it' thing compared to say pizza.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 AM

20,878 posts, read 18,404,241 times
I love it. I prefer seafood from the sea, like ahi and squid and orange roughy and sea bass and salmon and all kinds of yummy fishes. I do not care for freshwater fish. Catfish and tilapia and swai, no thank you.

I do not like sea urchin. I had it once and thought it was gross. But I like sushi and sashimi in general.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 AM

17,379 posts, read 14,527,271 times
Fish/shellfish are definitely overrated where I live. Living midcontenent, it's difficult/cost prohibitive to get fresh seafood, and what is available isn't much worth the money.

As a whole, I can't imagine why it would be overrated. I don't see that food can be overrated. You either like it or you don't. I don't love seafood, but I'll eat it if it's decent. It's just usually subpar in the midwest, so I rarely bother.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 AM

20,878 posts, read 18,404,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Fish/shellfish are definitely overrated where I live. Living midcontenent, it's difficult/cost prohibitive to get fresh seafood, and what is available isn't much worth the money.

As a whole, I can't imagine why it would be overrated. I don't see that food can be overrated. You either like it or you don't. I don't love seafood, but I'll eat it if it's decent. It's just usually subpar in the midwest, so I rarely bother.
I hear that (from Illinois). We eat fish twice a week, and it's difficult to find a good selection of ocean fish that isn't $20 a pound. I prefer fresh to frozen but it is so expensive here. All the lesser expensive stuff is catfish nuggets and family packs of swai. I never even heard of swai till I moved here.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Well you still got freshwater fish. There are some great freshwater table fish like trout, I don't know if they are raised/fished in your neck of the wood.

I just don't find anything innately appealing in the taste of say oysters. I think there's something innately appealing in the taste of say fried chicken, but for the life of me I can't figure out why some go ga ga for the taste of oysters. Try me. Describe to me exactly why you find the taste of shellfish so darn addictive, because my tastebuds are not detecting it.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,782,493 times
I love nearly all Seafood, except Oysters. Tried them once, nearly vomited everywhere. Most disgusting things in the world. All types of fish I'll eat, crab, lobster, prawns, squid, scallops, mussels, but never oysters.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,937,357 times
I love seafood - fish, crab, lobster, shrimp, prawns, scallops and cooked clams, mussels, oysters...

I do not care for raw seafood (I don't eat any meat raw, yuck). And things like fish eggs, squid, octopus, urchins, eel, cuttlefish don't appeal to me. Aside from caviar, I haven't tried them and probably never will.

In much the same way, I like a wide variety of (turf) meat but I won't go near things like gizzards, scrapple, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink