Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times

Advertisements

Europeans eat like prisoners or nursing home patients. Only in the most expensive restaurants (think $120/person w/o wine) did we have meals that were comparable to a good US restaurants. Street markets were filthy with flies on everything even in the poshest districts, although market food was the best.

Europeans have a much higher tolerance for bad stuff, like gristle, fish scales, lumpy sauces, etc.

England and Ireland are the absolute worst. Many meals offered even at nice restaurants had the cheapest cuts of meat poorly prepared. The English do know how to do little sandwiches though.

In Spain nothing was fresh in any city. They have a prehistoric distribution system where food supposed to be fresh has sat on the highway for days not hours. Coastal villages where we got much fresh seafood were the only memorable dining experiences.

In France, if something has a regulated name (I think this system is called PGS or the like) they think it is great by definition. Its not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Did you notice the serving sizes? Generally, they are MUCH smaller (and more to the recommended serving sizes) than here, in the State! That could play a huge part in your weight loss!
very true, in Canada as well.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Most of my European dining has been in Ireland, a place not widely known for its cuisine. Serviceable enough, but certainly nothing to make me say, "Wow, American fare sucks."
I certainly didn't find the food in Ireland or Scotland any better or fresher than in the US. I agree with you, the same in England. We did love the food in Poland and Spain, but I don't know if I would say it was higher quality or fresher, it was just really good. Maybe what some do not realize, when you are visiting a place for a few days or weeks on vacation everything seems better.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Europeans eat like prisoners or nursing home patients. Only in the most expensive restaurants (think $120/person w/o wine) did we have meals that were comparable to a good US restaurants. Street markets were filthy with flies on everything even in the poshest districts, although market food was the best.

Europeans have a much higher tolerance for bad stuff, like gristle, fish scales, lumpy sauces, etc.

England and Ireland are the absolute worst. Many meals offered even at nice restaurants had the cheapest cuts of meat poorly prepared. The English do know how to do little sandwiches though.

In Spain nothing was fresh in any city. They have a prehistoric distribution system where food supposed to be fresh has sat on the highway for days not hours. Coastal villages where we got much fresh seafood were the only memorable dining experiences.

In France, if something has a regulated name (I think this system is called PGS or the like) they think it is great by definition. Its not.
My husband would agree with you. He lived in Belgium and England and visited many other countries. We also have friends from France who say the food here in US is MUCH fresher and better! They live here half the year now and if it were possible they would make it full time.

I think you can find good and bad food anywhere. I have access to wonderful fresh food right where I live - but it does NOT come from places like Walmart - LOL!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My husband would agree with you. He lived in Belgium and England and visited many other countries. We also have friends from France who say the food here in US is MUCH fresher and better! They live here half the year now and if it were possible they would make it full time.

I think you can find good and bad food anywhere. I have access to wonderful fresh food right where I live - but it does NOT come from places like Walmart - LOL!

Or, burger doodle either.

What happens, i think, is that Europeans who come to the US end up eating at our endless chain restaurants which we must admit are not very good. They mostly don't care that our fast food joints and chains like Fridays and Olive Garden are clean and safe and generic. They just hate them and they are very vocal about that. Also, they may eat in a big hotel dining room or a famous big city restaurant which, while equivalent to Europe's best, are not nearly as interesting or eclectic. Agaion, the complaints.

But, Europeans never find their way to the neighborhood spots where really good American food is served. Family restaurants outside the megacities. Diners and delis and little BBQ or steak houses. Southern and soul food, southwest cuisine, never even get on the radar screen for European tourists.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Absolutely not. I have been all over Europe (and all over the US) and give me the fresh food here in the USA any day! I do love the creamy ice cream in some of the countries and some breads I like better than here locally. That has to do with the water. I just can't say that the quality, overall, is higher.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

I think you snagged the problem, people who depend on WalMart or even the large chain grocery stores, do not get the truely fresh produce. This is why I get so excited when our farmers markets open in late April. I realize we don't have much choice as to where we shop during the winter (rarely do I shop at WalMart). I am, by no means putting WalMart down. There is a place for them and they offer a variety of products, some less expensive than other stores. Some people have no choice but to shop there and some people do for convenience sake. I think we are lucky to have so many wonderful choices in our country. We can choose the "Aldi" type of shopping, chain stores, box stores, or independent stores.

Nita

Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,086 times
I lived in Italy for a few years and have to say the food phenomenal! Fresh...healthy....and the standards were much higher for good food.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Did you notice the serving sizes? Generally, they are MUCH smaller (and more to the recommended serving sizes) than here, in the State! That could play a huge part in your weight loss!
I love the huge serving sizes here in the States. I always know I'll get two meals out of the breakfast served to me at the diner down the street. That cuts whatever I paid for it in half. Just because one is served a lot of food doesn't mean they eat it in one sitting.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
I'd say a little of both. I've never had a steak outside of the US that was worth eating. But some of the specialties of each country have been fantastic - of course that's eating at restaurants that are much more expensive that what I normally spend here. I've had some really awful food, and some really wonderful food in all the countries I've visited, and at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink