Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you find Paula Deen irritating?
Yes 62 62.63%
No 37 37.37%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

I don't watch her. I am a harsh critic of Deen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Some of the people on the Food Channel are irritating. Paula Deen tops the list, but Ann Burrell isn't far behind. Rachael Ray is entertaining...her husky truck-driverish voice and high energy don't require a break to recharge the batteries.

Paula Deen's recent scandal with a restaurant employee is "interesting." I wouldn't be surprised if someone who has his/her own show treats employees like the "help."

Not only are a lot of Paula Deen's dishes kind of gross, I think her accent is exaggerated. Get real.
It is amazing how we each see stars differently I guess. Yes, Paula Deen makes me almost sick. I can take about 35 seconds of her, then I have to leave the room, talk about phony and the worst part, except for her food giving us all a coranary, it is yummy. I love Ann Burrell, she is one of my favorites, but Rachael Ray drives me a little crazy. My favorite hands down is: Melissa and her dinner for four under $10. Next would be guy I think. Arti Party is one I do not like either. I have trouble with any of them that are too sweet to be real.

Nita

Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The accent is likely not exaggerated as she is from southern Georgia.
I still think it might be a litle over done...

Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Is it typical for a Southerner to say "y'all" twice in every sentence? I love when I hear someone say "y'all" but, with Paula, it seems gratuitous.
I had to wander if i nthe north it ws normal to say "and uh" and "like" five time is one sentence that contained the inofrmation that would have been in a pargraph. I found that speaking fast and saying those where pretty normal.So I guess it like her sayig Ya;ll alot.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,107 times
I seem to have very little tolerance for her these days. I may watch for a few minutes but never an entire show. And I never watch when she has here sons with her. The way they interact with each other just seems weird to me. Her recipes are delicious though.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I don't know any women 'of a certain age' from the north whose speech is peppered with the annoying filters "um", "like" or "you know".

Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Is it typical for a Southerner to say "y'all" twice in every sentence? I love when I hear someone say "y'all" but, with Paula, it seems gratuitous.
Warning: this program contains gratuitous use of southernisms in a deliberate manner calculated to make the host seem more 'down home' and thus make her target audience - who look and sound like she does - relate more to her.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:31 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
[quote=Trimac20;23381365]Warning: this program contains gratuitous use of southernisms in a deliberate manner calculated to make the host seem more 'down home' and thus make her target audience - who look and sound like she does - relate more to her.[/quote]

That does not exist.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Paula? No, she doesn't irritate me. Just where does she buy all that butter anyway? I don't mind her sons at all....I'm glad when a guy can cook!

Julia Child? To me, her voice was like nails on a blackboard....but I sure did love that movie a year or two ago and you had to give her kudos for not giving up! She paved the way.....

Guy? Love that dude! He sticks his finger in everything!

Rachel? She's okay...always seems to be in a hurry...

Barefoot? She's okay.....loves flowers, too....

Bobby Flay? Eh...

The Cake Doctor guy in New Jersey.........fun to watch....so imaginative.....such a stressful show....

Alton Brown......is he the Iron Chef? He drives me nuts.

Anne Burrell......she has platinum hair that looks like it's been in an egg beater....like her....

Giada........she's from Italy, I think......I like her...probably the least caloric of them all.....likes flowers and kids, too.

The Neely Couple......man and wife...like them.....fattening comfort food....

Sunny.......like her....fattening comfort protein.....

They're all different.....they all have their quirks......some have more 'gentle' personalities than others...... Ya know, I don't think any of the ya'll's are put-ons......people just have habits and say certain things all the time......ya know?

I haven't paid any attention to Paula's issue with that person or employee or whoever it is..... Example: Oprah didn't get to where she is by being sweet, indecisive, afraid to step on toes.....heck, she's a tyrant, workaholic, controlling, etc.....

What was the question?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Paula? No, she doesn't irritate me. Just where does she buy all that butter anyway? I don't mind her sons at all....I'm glad when a guy can cook!

Julia Child? To me, her voice was like nails on a blackboard....but I sure did love that movie a year or two ago and you had to give her kudos for not giving up! She paved the way.....

Guy? Love that dude! He sticks his finger in everything!

Rachel? She's okay...always seems to be in a hurry...

Barefoot? She's okay.....loves flowers, too....

Bobby Flay? Eh...

The Cake Doctor guy in New Jersey.........fun to watch....so imaginative.....such a stressful show....

Alton Brown......is he the Iron Chef? He drives me nuts.

Anne Burrell......she has platinum hair that looks like it's been in an egg beater....like her....

Giada........she's from Italy, I think......I like her...probably the least caloric of them all.....likes flowers and kids, too.

The Neely Couple......man and wife...like them.....fattening comfort food....

Sunny.......like her....fattening comfort protein.....

They're all different.....they all have their quirks......some have more 'gentle' personalities than others...... Ya know, I don't think any of the ya'll's are put-ons......people just have habits and say certain things all the time......ya know?

I haven't paid any attention to Paula's issue with that person or employee or whoever it is..... Example: Oprah didn't get to where she is by being sweet, indecisive, afraid to step on toes.....heck, she's a tyrant, workaholic, controlling, etc.....

What was the question?
like your breakdown and pretty much agree with you. You did miss a few of my favs though or a few of my not so faves: I do not like the cake decorating or cupcake stuff at all: I love $10 dinners, even if I can't spell her name correctly, I don't like Sandra either. Her only saving grace, she makes some pretty decent and unusual cocktails. The Neely's used to be my favorite, but they have done to much of the same things lately.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink