Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy spicy ethnic cuisines?
Yes 47 79.66%
No 9 15.25%
Other - describe 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times

Advertisements

I don't personally but I can understand why some people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I like spicy food but not too hot. Too much capsaicin burns my mouth and hurts. I can easily eat medium salsa and some hot. Those thin green Thai chilies, those demonic red things in kung pao, habaneros ... those are too hot for me.

I like Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Indian foods. I haven't had really adventurous East Asian food, but I think I would like it.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:48 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I love hot, spicy food, especially Indian.

Of course, it has to be flavorful, too - the heat can't mask the flavors.

I also like Spanish and Italian food, but not as much as say, Ethiopian or Indian.

Thai food I've only had about five or six times. Authentic Thai food I seem to like; however, Thai food as often served in the U.S. has too many vegetables (I don't mind them cut up, pureed, or sometimes overcooked and spiced, though).

I also put Sriracha on almost anything. One of my snack dishes is large-curd cottage cheese mixed with Sriracha sauce. In fact, I've come to see it as only mildly hot rather than severely hot as I did when I first tried it back about five years ago. Even when nauseated on chemotherapy, I enjoy hot food.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Does anyone else find that they have completely different palates when it comes to hot with their spouses?
There are things I will find almost unbearably hot which Hubby does not and others which to me taste reasonably mild and will have him in a sweat , his eyes watering in pain ?

I was wondering whether maybe men and women might perceive certain degrees of heat differently. We really never seem to have the same experience when eating spicy foods.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I like spicy food but not too hot. Too much capsaicin burns my mouth and hurts. I can easily eat medium salsa and some hot. Those thin green Thai chilies, those demonic red things in kung pao, habaneros ... those are too hot for me.

I like Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Indian foods. I haven't had really adventurous East Asian food, but I think I would like it.
Wouldn't Thai, Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese be considered East Asian?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wouldn't Thai, Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese be considered East Asian?
I said I hadn't had really adventurous East Asian food. Pho is not adventurous.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 AM

20,927 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I am a picky eater when it comes to ethnic foods as I have not tried much other than Chinese, Japanese, Itlalian, mexican, spanish and greek. I am also picky with those I mentioned as well. I like a little kick in my food but not alot. I went to a cajun restaurant one time here on LI and ordered a dish that was so spicy I only ate 1/4 of it and did not even bother to take it home mind you they told me this was mild. They go by numbers in order of spicyness and heat, 1 being mild and 4 being very hot and spicy. I ordered a number 1 and my mouth was burning. I guess I am a wimp when it comes to spicy foods.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I said I hadn't had really adventurous East Asian food. Pho is not adventurous.
I see. So what you're saying is you haven't tried duck eyball soup or ox s¢rotum or or squid so fresh it lashes back at your chopsticks.

And seriously, you can't say "s¢rotum" around here without dodging the auto-sensor?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I'm not a huge fan of spicy food, which is why I love South American and Arabic food. That being said, I still do like Indian food, but it just doesn't top my list because spiciness doesn't really appeal to me all that much. I have to say though, I love all food and there's not much that I don't enjoy.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Yeah the most adventurous pho will usually come with is if it has tripe in it, maybe some ox tail but that isn't too off-the-wall. I can eat tripe but don't really see the point in a soup where it doesn't seem to really do much for the dish aside from an alternate texture.

In Vietnam some of the menus have all kinds of stuff that you commonly see but don't eat like horse, pigeon, etc. Tried to order dog last time in China (just curious about taste) but it was out of season, more of a winter thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink