Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy spicy ethnic cuisines?
Yes 47 79.66%
No 9 15.25%
Other - describe 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,361,859 times

Advertisements

I love spicy food. It doesn't matter what ethnicity of food.

But I once had a Senegalese chicken dish that was one the hottest things I have ever had in my mouth. It had layers of black pepper and spices packed under the skin - I think from the first bite my mouth was on fire, my eyes wouldn't stop running, beads of sweat rolling down my face... brutal.

I like spicy but I don't want to sit in misery, when it's painful to enjoy a meal.

There was another meal I had which was Szechwan Chinese... my advice - If the chili pepper is BLACK, avoid it, avoid it, push it off your plate so you don't mistakenly eat it. I bit into the black chili pepper and my vision went blurry, I couldn't inhale or exhale, and in the end it was 10++ minutes of a nuclear meltdown in my mouth.

Food isn't supposed to be PAINFUL.

I want spice, but not pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM

10,165 posts, read 20,708,050 times
So long as the spice doesn't kill the flavor of what I'm eating, I enjoy a moderate degree of spicyness. Often times heavy spice is used to mask the flavor of poorly cooked meals. If it's killing my taste buds and lighting my mouth on fire no thanks.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:20 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,573,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Does anyone else find that they have completely different palates when it comes to hot with their spouses?
There are things I will find almost unbearably hot which Hubby does not and others which to me taste reasonably mild and will have him in a sweat , his eyes watering in pain ?

I was wondering whether maybe men and women might perceive certain degrees of heat differently. We really never seem to have the same experience when eating spicy foods.
I think you're right. I know men who can eat spicy stuff and love it. I can't and never could. Even a mildly spicy dish is too much for me.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM

3,295 posts, read 6,989,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I think you're right. I know men who can eat spicy stuff and love it. I can't and never could. Even a mildly spicy dish is too much for me.
Is eating spicy (or in this case, you mean burning heat) thought to be more a manly thing (I know this is true in western culture, but what about in the cultures that already have either hot or spicy food)?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 PM

2,418 posts, read 3,541,764 times
I love thai and indian cuisine. I'm not a huge fan of mexican food. Not sure about the mediterranean cuisine, but will be finding out soon enough.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 PM

2,418 posts, read 3,541,764 times
Using spices also help eliminate a need for so much sodium to foods.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,284,073 times
I love spicy food, and have no particular ethnic food I avoid.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,793,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yeah the most adventurous pho will usually come with is if it has tripe in it, maybe some ox tail but that isn't too off-the-wall. I can eat tripe but don't really see the point in a soup where it doesn't seem to really do much for the dish aside from an alternate texture.

In Vietnam some of the menus have all kinds of stuff that you commonly see but don't eat like horse, pigeon, etc. Tried to order dog last time in China (just curious about taste) but it was out of season, more of a winter thing.
Anyone who loves Pho and spicy food should try Bun Bo Hue, which is basically like pho but in a spicy-chilli infused broth. It's generally not too hot alone, think the typical laksa or tom yam soup, but I remember eating it at a street stall in Hue. Rather foolishly I poured in all the chopped up chilli pieces they gave me (at least a couple of dozen) and ate them all with the soup. By the end my mouth was on fire, my nose was like a tap, tears were streaming down my eyes and I downed at least a litre of cold tea. The locals found it amusing, lol.

I had Kung Pao Chicken recently and ate all the dried chillis. That was quite bad, I find Sichuan cuisine is one of the worst for heat. This was in Singapore, mind you. I think in the US or somewhere the chillis used are generally milder.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,949,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't care for Thai and Vietnamese food. Even when you request a low spice quotient, they are still spicy and leave a bad after-taste. I don't like Indian and Ethiopian food, and the smell being near it makes me want to run. On the other hand, I love the Chinese and Japanese food I've had. So it's not an issue with a specific continent.

Topping my list are Italian and Greek food. These are not spicy, they are seasoned. I also enjoy Mexican and Cuban food and, though there is some Mexican food that requires a nearby fire hydrant, a lot of it is mild(er) and delicious.

Go ahead and describe your parameters for the level of spiciness and types of ethnic food you can and CAN'T deal with.
I could never imagine my life without the spicy foods, such as Thai, Indian and other ethnic cuisines. I also do enjoy the less spicier ethnic foods, such as Japanese, Greek. Although I eat Italian, I just have to be in the mood as I'm not big on rich tomato sauces and the food is often too heavy for me.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,793,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I could never imagine my life without the spicy foods, such as Thai, Indian and other ethnic cuisines. I also do enjoy the less spicier ethnic foods, such as Japanese, Greek. Although I eat Italian, I just have to be in the mood as I'm not big on rich tomato sauces and the food is often too heavy for me.
If you can find it you should try Indonesian/Malaysian cuisine. Every bit as good as Thai, if not better. You won't regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink