Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Pickled red beet eggs - yum!!!! I like to make these with my home grown beets from my garden. DH has to watch his cholesterol, though, and he tends to get kidney stones from eating too many eggs, but they are a treat we enjoy when we harvest the beets.
I don't think I have even thought about them in years. They were a favorite as a child. Of course beets are still one of my favorites and I love eggs.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 02:19 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,584,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We had a milk man, of course, and a door to door bakery that made home deliveries twice a week. He came right into your kitchen and sold everything from loaves of bread to donuts to iced snack cakes. "Freihoffer's Bakery'" it was called (sp?). Also the "Cloister's Dairy" ice cream truck came to our neighborhood at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays (right after school - perfect timing!!!!) He sold half gallon cartons of ice cream in addition to popsicles and dixie cups. On Saturdays, the butcher truck came to our neighborhood and you could buy your weekly supply of specially cut meats and sausage direct from the "butcher shop on wheels", wrapped in brown butcher paper (no plastic wrap or styrophoam back then). I remember the butcher and his blood stained white apron - he was missing three fingers on his left hand (something I always think about when I use the meat slicer at work!)

We didn't have a grocery store close by (just a little country general store), so we relied on these delivery people. Plus, most of us had only one car, and some of our moms didn't drive anyway.
We ate Freihoffer's chocolate chip cookies and chocolate fudge cupcakes growing up. The cookies were just phenomenal!!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,903,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The 80s is about the time things started really changing, closer to the late 80s I would say, even the early 90s. When families started having 2 adults working out of the house as the rule and not the exception family eating habits changed. As for your never eating out, you were certainly the exception I would guess. Did your moms habits wear off on you or do you like to buy prepared entrees, etcI. It is always interesting to see how adults handle situations based on their childhood, both good and bad.

Nita
It's true - people do tend to follow the same pattern as they did growing up. Lots of homemade meals? That's what they do. Lots of eating out? They know every restaurant in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
We ate Freihoffer's chocolate chip cookies and chocolate fudge cupcakes growing up. The cookies were just phenomenal!!
One of the many markets I shop in still carries Freihofers chocolate chip cookies. Usually run a special - BOGO. I've never bought them so I can't vouch for how good (or bad) they are.

As far as chocolate cupcakes are concerned, I grew up in Philadelphia and even though Freihofers was located there, it was the home of TastyCake and they had the market cornered on lunch cakes.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,531,971 times
I grew up in the late 60s and 70s. My mother made every meal from scratch, and was (is) a great cook. She was "old school" and did not believe in eating canned or frozen foods. Thus, the only canned products we ever ate were sardines, tuna and tomato paste. She was convinced that freezing changed the taste of food and refused to buy frozen. Thus, she shopped two or three times a week for fresh food.

Every morning we sat down to a hot breakfast before school or work. When I was in elementary school, I went home for lunch. By high school, no one ate lunch at home except Mom, since we attended schools far from home and Dad worked far away.

Every night we ate together at 7pm. There was no question of not being at the table at dinnertime--my father insisted on it. My job was to set the table with a simple tablecloth, dishes, cutlery, glasses, paper napkins, and the water jug. The meal consisted of meat, one or two veggies, a starch, and a salad. Fridays were always seafood--a holdover from my parents' Catholic upbringings. Desserts were usually simple: cheese, fruit, or cookies.

Saturday dinner was usually leftovers or a soup.

On Sundays we had a big late breakfast (before church, around 10am), and an early dinner at 4pm. Sunday dinners were more formal, and often there were guests. The table was always set with a damask or lace tablecloth, cloth napkins, the "good" china & glasses, and everyone was nicely dressed. The dishes had more complex recipes, and the meal included wine and dessert. Sunday dessert was always really special--usually a meal in itself, and was eaten a couple of hours after dinner.

Holiday meals took an entire day or days to prepare. There would be appetizers; multiple meats; complicated, labor-intensive dishes; traditional foods; numerous desserts. The table would be beautifully set and include a centerpiece. Mom's favorite holiday was Christmas, and she went all out for the Xmas dinner. All the women in the family would be involved in preparing these meals: Mom, the kids, Grandma, aunts, cousins. All the women helped with the clean up. The men never helped with anything.

Last edited by Pivot Point; 04-04-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,531,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Me too! Freihofer's made the best chocolate chip cookies.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
I grew up in the late 60s and 70s. My mother made every meal from scratch, and was (is) a great cook. She was "old school" and did not believe in eating canned or frozen foods. Thus, the only canned products we ever ate were sardines, tuna and tomato paste. She was convinced that freezing changed the taste of food and refused to buy frozen. Thus, she shopped two or three times a week for fresh food.

Every morning we sat down to a hot breakfast before school or work. When I was in elementary school, I went home for lunch. By high school, no one ate lunch at home except Mom, since we attended schools far from home and Dad worked far away.

Every night we ate together at 7pm. There was no question of not being at the table at dinnertime--my father insisted on it. My job was to set the table with a simple tablecloth, dishes, cutlery, glasses, paper napkins, and the water jug. The meal consisted of meat, one or two veggies, a starch, and a salad. Fridays were always seafood--a holdover from my parents' Catholic upbringings. Desserts were usually simple: cheese, fruit, or cookies.

Saturday dinner was usually leftovers or a soup.

On Sundays we had a big late breakfast (before church, around 10am), and an early dinner at 4pm. Sunday dinners were more formal, and often there were guests. The table was always set with a damask or lace tablecloth, cloth napkins, the "good" china & glasses, and everyone was nicely dressed. The dishes had more complex recipes, and the meal included wine and dessert. Sunday dessert was always really special--usually a meal in itself, and was eaten a couple of hours after dinner.

Holiday meals took an entire day or days to prepare. There would be appetizers; multiple meats; complicated, labor-intensive dishes; traditional foods; numerous desserts. The table would be beautifully set and include a centerpiece. Mom's favorite holiday was Christmas, and she went all out for the Xmas dinner. All the women in the family would be involved in preparing these meals: Mom, the kids, Grandma, aunts, cousins. All the women helped with the clean up. The men never helped with anything.
the men not helping reminds me of my husband's aunts home. They had no children and were typical WV farmers even though by the time I met them they lived in So CA. Aunt Freda worked but Uncle Herman never did get a job after they moved to Ca in the late 1940s. She would fix his lunch before she left in the mornings and leave it for him to heat up. On holidays the women did all the cooking and even carved the meat. Aunt Freda never sat down with us at the table, she just kept bringing the food. After dinner (which was served about 12;30 or 1pm) we would clean up the kitchen, while the men went into the living room. Late in the afternoon we brought all the food back out and ate supper.

I remember going to her house for lunch (yes, it was lunch cause it was Sat,not Sunday) just before we were married. She served Stuffed bell peppers, corn on the cob and baked potatoes plus vegetables, cottage cheese, sliced tomatoes and dessert. Years later I asked my mother in law why Aunt Freda and the rest of the family always served potatoes with bell peppers when the peppers were already filled with rice: she said, well if you are heating up the overn you might as well have baked potatoes. As for the corn on the cob, another carb I aked the same thing. Why another carb, I got a strange look, as if they had no idea what a carb was or what I was talking about. My being a foods and nutrition major I had a little trouble understanding this, but I will say, Aunt Freda was an awesome cook.

Nita

Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,202,722 times
Lol, in the south they did not know carb! My family was the same way (Dad originally from KY)!

Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,234,968 times
What is interesting to me, in reading this thread, is that most folks had home cooking, big meals, not any prepared foods, and yet, there was less obesity problems back then. Interesting. The advent of "Kraft Mac and Cheese" has been the downfall of our society. No more homemade mac and cheese, just the blue box...yuck. And yet, sadly, I myself have made the Mac and Cheese with the packet of cheese food powder...and that is what my kids think of when they want "Mom's Homemade Mac and Cheese"...just been too busy to cook much I guess.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 PM

16 posts, read 19,482 times
In "the old country" it was usually rice, beans, cheese, cream some type of meat (every other night) and tortillas. The tortillas were made by the ladies who lived next door to us and the whole neighborhood would send their kids to pick them up right before dinner time. I got really good at wrapping the cloth around them to keep them warm.

When we came here, my grandma moved in with us and it was usually a meat with rice and beans that she prepared while our parents were at work. We had to get used to Mexican tortillas and Mexican dairies. We would watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeapordy while eating and the 8' o clock movie afterwards. It's how my brother and I learned to speak English.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What is interesting to me, in reading this thread, is that most folks had home cooking, big meals, not any prepared foods, and yet, there was less obesity problems back then. Interesting. The advent of "Kraft Mac and Cheese" has been the downfall of our society. No more homemade mac and cheese, just the blue box...yuck. And yet, sadly, I myself have made the Mac and Cheese with the packet of cheese food powder...and that is what my kids think of when they want "Mom's Homemade Mac and Cheese"...just been too busy to cook much I guess.
I think it goes deeper than just prepared foods. Remember, in the days before prepared foods kids walked everywhere or rode their bikes, they played outside, had rescess and P>E> at school daily. Moms didn't have someone clean the house, we didn't even have dryers until the early to mid 60s (in many cases) so we hung the clothes on the line, we ironed everything, didn't have light weight vacumes, and many families didn't have 2 cars. All these things made a huge difference. Yes, fast food has added to the obesity problem as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink