U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2007, 05:08 PM

696 posts, read 2,190,091 times

Advertisements

I used to eat at McDonalds because it was the only fast food restaurant in our town. The meat never tasted like anything that I could make at home. McDonalds says that it is 100% Beef. I never gave it a lot of thought until a Burger King was built here. I tried Burger King and their meat tastes like meat that I can grill at home. This made me wonder if McDonalds has something mixed into their meat or does "100% Beef" mean that ANY part of the cow could be in there.

Anyone else think that McDonalds Beef is not like real meat?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:52 AM

2,551 posts, read 5,297,762 times
It is gray, I certainly can't replicate a sad looking gray patty at home. I don't eat there anymore but I am certain I don't want to know what part of the cow is in there.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:13 AM

3,220 posts, read 4,070,416 times
McDonalds doesn't use completely real beef. They take the lowest grade of meat (what restaurants don't want), the real fatty and "grisley" kind, and put in in the meat grinder to make their patties.

My friend worked in a meat packing plant in Pennsylvania that packed for McDonalds, and in every twenty five pound box they packed they had to put fifteen pounds of fat, so fat and probably soy filler is in there along with enough beef so that the government will let them tell the public its all beef

I don't know what the other fast food chains buy, but if McDonalds is any indication - no thanks!!!

A Heart Attack Meal is what one buys!

Yes I know it's gross!

You're much better off with Pizza.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM

6,986 posts, read 16,689,007 times
Beef that is aged, which is what you buy at the supermarket, tastes a lot differently than beef that wasn't aged. Aged beef also costs more. McDonalds is fatty too. Fat has a much different taste than the red muscle meat.

Somewhere I read, don't know if it's true, that McDonalds used Argentine beef as it was cheaper. Even with paying for shipping, it was supposed to be cheaper. How the steer is fattened before slaughter affects the taste too.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 PM

54 posts, read 401,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I used to eat at McDonalds because it was the only fast food restaurant in our town. The meat never tasted like anything that I could make at home. McDonalds says that it is 100% Beef. I never gave it a lot of thought until a Burger King was built here. I tried Burger King and their meat tastes like meat that I can grill at home. This made me wonder if McDonalds has something mixed into their meat or does "100% Beef" mean that ANY part of the cow could be in there.

Anyone else think that McDonalds Beef is not like real meat?
I had a professor who swears that back in the late 60's McDonald's used worm protein because the government declared their burgers to be too low in protein so they went to worm farms and bought worm additives to add to the beef to increase it protein level. Of course I had to investigate, I did a little research of my own. I didn't find anything that said worm was in their burgers, but when I went to the U.S. government site It stated that if a restaurant has a secret ingredient it doesn't have to disclose what's in the secret recipe. Attention McDonalds says they have a secret recipe; that was enough for me I have't eaten McDonald's in over a year.

I have cravings sometimes for their double cheeseburger, but I refuse to eat worm and who knows the beef might come from China now. It might be dog?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:30 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,382,905 times
McDonalds and real beef....haha...McD's is disgusting as are most other fast food/ burger joints.
That's not real food not even close it's all fat and grease....YUM...

Oh, I'm sure they mix something into their mystery meat...

Old 09-12-2007, 10:47 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,667,331 times
If that's 100% beef then I am the Pope.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:59 PM

6,444 posts, read 8,988,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Somewhere I read, don't know if it's true, that McDonalds used Argentine beef as it was cheaper. Even with paying for shipping, it was supposed to be cheaper. How the steer is fattened before slaughter affects the taste too.

Snopes'd it. It's not true. They were experimenting with foreign beef, but it was from Australia and New Zealand. According to Snopes, the foreign beef is slightly cheaper and it was leaner, and McDonalds needs a certain amount of lean beef for.... God knows what. American beef is usually grain-fed, which makes it too fatty.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 AM

8,820 posts, read 15,361,372 times
You know, worms are kinda gray...and the gray meat in a mcdonalds burger...
I'm just glad i don't eat that stuff. *barf*

Old 09-13-2007, 08:56 AM

54 posts, read 401,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Snopes'd it. It's not true. They were experimenting with foreign beef, but it was from Australia and New Zealand. According to Snopes, the foreign beef is slightly cheaper and it was leaner, and McDonalds needs a certain amount of lean beef for.... God knows what. American beef is usually grain-fed, which makes it too fatty.
IT'S TO POUR IN THAT SECRET RECIPE, IF ANYBODY IS SMART YOU WILL TAKE MCDONALD'S OFF OF YOUR EAT OUT MENU. ALSO DID ANYBODY SEE THAT STORY ABOUT THE GUY AT THE CHINESE RESTAURANT SMASHING THE GARLIC WITH HIS FEET ( SHOES ON) THAT'S WHY I DON'T EAT CHINESE EITHER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.