U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:29 AM

50,096 posts, read 42,486,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I see it as more a matter of laziness. Why should they labor in the kitchen when they can buy a frozen box of who-the-heck-knows-what, add some vegetables out of a can, rehydrate some instant mashed potatoes, have it done and ready to eat and still have the time to water their crops on Farmvile in Facebook?

I'd also contribute it to a lack of know-how. Plus, when they have products using labels like "old World" that make them think the product will be every bit as good as if they had made it themselves, they likely wont know any different and just skip the whole "
from-scratch" way of cooking. This applies to both women and men.

Another problem is, many people just dont know what good food is. They were raised on frozen, boxed, or canned. So those are the only foods they know. One time I ate at someones house and they just couldn't get over how what they were eating was just sooooo darn good. I was shocked at that opinion because I had had the same meal cooked from scratch and I knew just how bad what I was eating really was. I don't think they did though.
The not knowing what good food is, I totally agree with. I do not think people who do not cook some things from scatch are all lazy. I know families who cook everything from scratch on weekends, but during the week simply do not have time. My own daughter was a perfect example. While her 2 girls were growing up and both competitive swimmer, among other activities there was no time for much cooking from scratch unless we are talking a simple grilled dinner or something thrown in the crock pot. Kids swam until about 7pm, mom and dad got home from work around 6pm, swim meets on weekends plus both parents were involved in the swim club and one granddaughter took piano, while the other was active in scouting. At least 2 nights a week dinner consisted of ordering in or picking up take out. Our daughter was a great cook and loved to cook when she had time. Today both girls are married, daughter is semi retired and she lives in the kitchen, just like I always have.

Yes, as I have said, many people do not know good food, they do not realize how bad frozen and canned foods can be, but there are many who just simply do not have time. For better or worse, we are living in a totally different culture than even 25 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:32 PM

8,981 posts, read 4,161,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The not knowing what good food is, I totally agree with. I do not think people who do not cook some things from scatch are all lazy. I know families who cook everything from scratch on weekends, but during the week simply do not have time. My own daughter was a perfect example. While her 2 girls were growing up and both competitive swimmer, among other activities there was no time for much cooking from scratch unless we are talking a simple grilled dinner or something thrown in the crock pot. Kids swam until about 7pm, mom and dad got home from work around 6pm, swim meets on weekends plus both parents were involved in the swim club and one granddaughter took piano, while the other was active in scouting. At least 2 nights a week dinner consisted of ordering in or picking up take out. Our daughter was a great cook and loved to cook when she had time. Today both girls are married, daughter is semi retired and she lives in the kitchen, just like I always have.

Yes, as I have said, many people do not know good food, they do not realize how bad frozen and canned foods can be, but there are many who just simply do not have time. For better or worse, we are living in a totally different culture than even 25 years ago.
If you don't have the time thats one thing, but if you do and just decide not to thats another.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 AM

50,096 posts, read 42,486,188 times
Quote:
If you don't have the time thats one thing, but if you do and just decide not to thats another.
You are right. I do realize, not everyone loves to spend time in the kitchen, but if they took the time to do more cooking from scratch they might be amazed at how much better the food tastes. Of course the whole subject depends on one priorities.

Nita

Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM

4,784 posts, read 8,037,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think it might be called a sales gimmick!!! They want you to think it is made the way it is in the country where that particular food originated, just like grandma made.
What?! LOL, the grandmas in our families had nothing to do with the "Old World". Our families have been here centuries, we'd have to go a lot further back than grandma to get to the "Old World". People began immigrating to this country more than 400 years ago. But as you pointed out, this is where the gimmick comes in, people will see "Old World" on a label and throw it in their grocery cart without even reading the label. With that name, surely it must be high quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It sounds like a reference to something European-style - Europe is the old world - North America is the new world. It's meant to make consumers believe they are getting a superior product, like something that tastes made from scratch.
That is my assumption. Also, the ingredients should be as close as possible to "scratch", and not include a lot of artificial or inferior ingredients. I'm sure that if one were to read most of the labels though, that wouldn't be the case at all.

Quote:

Another problem is, many people just dont know what good food is. They were raised on frozen, boxed, or canned. So those are the only foods they know. One time I ate at someones house and they just couldn't get over how what they were eating was just sooooo darn good. I was shocked at that opinion because I had had the same meal cooked from scratch and I knew just how bad what I was eating really was. I don't think they did though.
Ohhh, I know exactly what you mean. It's appalling how people think that kind of food is good. I see people throw together meals from boullion cubes and canned soups, and call it "homemade from scratch" and praise it wildly. Meanwhile I'm gagging. Someone I know recently made bacon wrapped tator tots and thought it was a gastronimical delight, worthy of feeding to guests.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Ohhh, I know exactly what you mean. It's appalling how people think that kind of food is good. I see people throw together meals from boullion cubes and canned soups, and call it "homemade from scratch" and praise it wildly. Meanwhile I'm gagging. Someone I know recently made bacon wrapped tator tots and thought it was a gastronimical delight, worthy of feeding to guests.
I dont think I would feed it to my dog much less my guests.

I dont know though, I love me some tator tot casserole every now and again. { yes, it's really a thing. Look it up lol }

Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 PM

14,517 posts, read 13,070,070 times
Conclusion of thread: people are taking a term waaaay too seriously.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 PM

Not exactly how I envisioned the thread playing out but I'm glad it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink