U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
20,126 posts, read 19,855,771 times
Reputation: 45410
Just something to ponder:
Pink Slime = "boneless lean beef trimmings" (BLBT) or "lean, finely textured beef" (LFTB).

Mechanical separated beef, sheep and goats are not allowed as meat fillers in Europe since 2001.
In America the ban started 3 years later in 2004.
This prohibition is due to the risk of ruminants carrying mad cow disease or Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) in their spinal cords or heads and these being passed on through mechanically separated meats and onto humans.
So, how to get this bovine meat off the bone and used legally in America?
The production of boneless lean beef trimmings, otherwise known as pink slime was created.

Due to FSIS regulations enacted in 2004 to protect consumers against Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, mechanically separated beef is considered inedible and is prohibited for use as human food. It is not permitted in hot dogs or any other processed product.

Beef head, spinal cord and other parts of the carcass carry risks of passing along different bad bacteria such as E-coli in the food chain. Does use of ammonium hydroxide prevent us from getting Bovine spongiform encephalopathy?


BTW: mechanically separated pork or poultry (MSP) is safe to eat, and may be used as a meat filler. However, it may not be described simply as “meat” on food labels, but must be labeled as “mechanically separated” pork, chicken, or turkey in the ingredients statement.
Meat and Poultry Labeling Terms
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums: Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating.
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 690,615 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
The problem is the lack of appreciation for a First Amendment right.

Slander would be lying about what Pink Slime is.

Vegans probably refer to pure ground beef as Pink Slime. They have the right to.

I like to call some of them Pink Slime. I have the right to do that.
And your right to free speech may come to an extremely expensive end when your exercise of it harms somebody else. What you consider your exercising of free speech may also be legally liable slander.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 690,615 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Beef head, spinal cord and other parts of the carcass carry risks of passing along different bad bacteria such as E-coli in the food chain. Does use of ammonium hydroxide prevent us from getting Bovine spongiform encephalopathy?
Ammonia is used for safety reasons. It kills the e coli bacteria. It then dissipates. Because of this "process" there has not been one single "pink slime" related health problem in the nearly 30 years that it has been being produced. Can the same be said for higher-end beef products during that same period of time?


I remain dumbfounded that people will gladly eat bratwursts, hotdogs, braunschwager, liverwurst, sausage, chicken nuggets, turkey loaf, pepperoni, salami, pickled pigs feet, and a whole host of other food made from "meat scraps." But these same people will scream and throw a fit about what is supposedly in "Pink Slime."

Last edited by Big George; 03-30-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque
5,554 posts, read 8,810,769 times
Reputation: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
What you consider your exercising of freespeech may also be legally liable slander.
I can call it anything I want. -- I can't lie about what it is.

What you consider slander is nothing of the sort.
Slander is any false or defamatory words spoken about a person.

Even if I say Pink Slime is made of eel guts, it still is not slander.
It would be lying, but not slander.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 690,615 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I can call it anything I want. -- I can't lie about what it is.

What you consider slander is nothing of the sort.
Slander is any false or defamatory words spoken about a person.

Even if I say Pink Slime is made of eel guts, it still is not slander.
It would be lying, but not slander.
Yes, yes, yes... If you want to split hairs we can split hairs about the nuanced differences between defamation, libel, and slander.

But to put the screws to it, the question is this: Did Gerald Zirnstein SAY the phrase "pink slime" in addition to it being written? Yes, he did. So even by your narrow definition, it is slander, and can result in a defamation lawsuit.

It's not just about quibbling the details of a statement's truthfulness. It's about damage caused.


Gerald Zirnstein can, and should, be on the receiving end of a multi-billion dollar defamation lawsuit for his slanderous statements.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
20,126 posts, read 19,855,771 times
Reputation: 45410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I remain dumbfounded that people will gladly eat bratwursts, hotdogs, braunschwager, liverwurst, sausage, chicken nuggets, turkey loaf, pepperoni, salami, pickled pigs feet, and a whole host of other food made from "meat scraps." But these same people will scream and throw a fit about what is supposedly in "Pink Slime."
I am not really throwing a fit about pink slime. Lots of people eat junk, enjoy eating it, or simply don't care. They can eat whatever they want.
All what I want is that meat containing pink slime to be properly labeled.
Unlike "mechanically separated" products, which do appear on food labels, the "pink slime" wasn't required to be labeled (other than as "beef"). That’s what lead to all of this hysteria when people found out where it was being used.
Hopefully the USDA will realize that meat packers will need to properly label their meat products if they want to sell them, so people that do care what they buy and eat could make informed decision.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums: Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating.
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 690,615 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not really throwing a fit about pink slime. Lots of people eat junk, enjoy eating it, or simply don't care. They can eat whatever they want.
All what I want is that meat containing pink slime to be properly labeled.

Unlike "mechanically separated" products, which do appear on food labels, the "pink slime" wasn't required to be labeled (other than as "beef"). That’s what lead to all of this hysteria when people found out where it was being used.
Hopefully the USDA will realize that meat packers will need to properly label their meat products if they want to sell them, so people that do care what they buy and eat could make informed decision.
I think that would be a VERY good thing, and for a lot of reasons.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque
5,554 posts, read 8,810,769 times
Reputation: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Did Gerald Zirnstein SAY the phrase "pink slime" ... Yes, he did.
I'm still not getting the part where he lied about anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM
 
3,897 posts, read 2,749,057 times
Reputation: 5819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Microbiologist Gerald Zirnstein arrogantly and ignorantly coined the term, "Pink Slime" back in 2002. Recently, millions of uninformed, paranoid people began to panic, thinking that they've recently started eating some zombie product.

Turns out, "Pink Slime" has been being produced and consumed for nearly 30 years, and there has yet to be ONE single health-related incident involving it.

So what is this mysterious "Pink Slime?" Basically it's the same thing as hot dogs, liverwurst, and braunschwager. It is "boneless beef trimmings." It is treated with ammonia in order to kill all e coli bacteria.

So today, due to the ignorant hysteria caused by these uninformed scare-mongers, thousands of packing plant workers are out of work, packing plants are shutting down, whole towns will soon begin facing severe financial shortfalls, we'll soon be facing meat shortages, and the price of beef is guaranteed to skyrocket.

And for what purpose?


I sincerely hope that the Beef Industry sues that crap out of this idiot Zirntein, and all his paranoid fear-mongers. It's nothing less than they deserve!

Consumers used to eat quite a few things that weren't good just because they were uninformed. Remember when the story broke back in the 60s about the nasty things that were in hotdogs? Once informed, people stopped purchasing hot dogs until they quit putting garbage into them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 690,615 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Consumers used to eat quite a few things that weren't good just because they were uninformed. Remember when the story broke back in the 60s about the nasty things that were in hotdogs? Once informed, people stopped purchasing hot dogs until they quit putting garbage into them.
Remember the Alar Scare?

D'Oh!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top