Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times

Advertisements

In foreign countries, it is very normal to ask for a dish that is not on the menu. In fact, the advice we received from the locals when we travelled through Asia was never to order from the menu, because the freshest ingredients are rarely available in large enough quantity to put on the menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
It's not uncommon for the reasons people stated: the majority of "Chinese" or "Thai" or ____ food would be unrecognizable in China, Thailand, etc.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
It's not uncommon for the reasons people stated: the majority of "Chinese" or "Thai" or ____ food would be unrecognizable in China, Thailand, etc.
very true and hard for most of us to realize. Most ethnic restaurants have adjusted their menues to appeal to the American taste buds, thus, what we think is typical for their country is only partially true.

Nita

Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
I've had that experience when going out to lunch/dinner with a couple we knew. The wife was Asian/the husband American - they planned on opening a restaurant when he retired so they visited a lot of places, and we always let them do the ordering....

Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
very true and hard for most of us to realize. Most ethnic restaurants have adjusted their menues to appeal to the American taste buds, thus, what we think is typical for their country is only partially true.

Nita
They want to stay in business. Only a few cities would generate enough business for truly "authentic" dishes.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
They want to stay in business. Only a few cities would generate enough business for truly "authentic" dishes.
oh, I agree with you on that. For those of us who have been lucky enough to travel to some other countries, we know the difference between real ethnic foods and American ethnics. Our daughter, who used to travel world wide, for her coumany, spending a lot of time in India, and the mid east can tell us some stories about what the eat. Believe me, we would not want to see some of this on our menues. We even found this to be the case when traveling to Hong Kong.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Somebody here (several years ago) posted about a truck stop in Wyoming near the Nebraska line, owned by a family from India, and upon request, they would serve a customer the same kind of Indian food that they ate themselves.

In Cyprus, in the 1960s, after eating in the same restaurant for several days, the owner offered me ambelopoulia, but even then, serving wild songbirds was considered controversial enough that it was not on the menu and not every customer was offered the delicacy. If we had just walked in an asked for it, there would have probably been denials.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-03-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 06:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
There's a taqueria I go to regularly here in my area. They have a typical taqueria menu: you can get taco, tostado, burrito, quesadilla, with your choice of protein: tongue, marinated steak, chicken, beef head, etc. etc. etc.

But then I look over at the table (I usually sit at the counter) and see the diners being served family-sized bowls of what looks like hot steamy tomato sauce, and breaded flat things, with wedges of lime on the side, and rice and beans.

After observing this _only_ when I go during typical meal times (I go there often for a single taco after working out just to get a quick protein boost), I realized...

Mexicans, in Mexico, generally eat family style. They generally don't eat tacos for dinner. Stews with tomato base are common, and they enjoy breaded fish. Rice and beans, of course, is a Mexican staple, in some families enjoyed as a main meal, not a side dish. It's also inexpensive and filling.

So the proprietors, who are from Mexico, are serving their Mexican guests, what they already know they like. They don't have to explain the menu, this is typical "local" fare to Mexicans living in Mexico. This isn't stuff that non-Mexicans would generally want, let alone ask about. So they don't bother putting it on the menu.

One of these days when I come in with an appetite (instead of just looking for a quick snack - the tacos are small, maybe 1.5 ounces of meat, cilantro, and onion, and that's all that's on there), I'll ask about the bowls. This guy's really sweet, so's his whole family. I'm sure they'll let me try a little if they have any made that day.

It -appears- as though they make this for their own family, but they make enough of it to serve to any customers who already recognize it enough to ask for it.

I don't believe they're intentionally trying to prevent others from asking for it, more than, it'd take up a lot of space (they make these in big vats), and that'd mean less room to make the things they already know most customers ask for, and pay for. So they're just not advertising these things, since:

a) most people wouldn't want it anyway
b) if word got out to people who would ask about it, they'd have to make more and it'd cramp the kitchen that's already stressed for space
c) it's not cost-effective to add it to the printed menu
d) they really only make it as a convenience for their own family meals, and make enough for the few guests who know it exists and to ask for it.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
I often order the fresh water snails at Asian restaurants, it's not on the menu , during the summer they usually have snails, they are the black type with lots of sauce

sometimes I like to order bullfrogs in black bean sauce with bitter melon

http://images.chinahighlights.com/re...ver-snails.jpg

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Yes, I used to go to this Itlalian restaurant by my mom's and they had this one dish that was only on the menu as a "special item"I saw it may 3 times and then it was gone. Since we frequented this place at least 2 times a month the waiters/waitresses and owner got to know us so if I wanted that dish or any other special they featured at one time they would make it for me. Most places will make any dish you want even if it's not on the menu. My husband like to get fried chicken cutlet on top of linguini with garlic and oil. It's not on their menu but they do make it for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink