U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 PM

4,470 posts, read 3,811,224 times

Advertisements

If you use powdered milk; what brand/type do you find is "best"?

Costco has a brand from a farm called "Augason"
Seems to be a good buy, but one needs to buy a 14lb Pail(emergency food type).
= about .20/serving. A little too much for us, maybe a 7 lb pkg.

We are 165 miles from a store for milk so??

HW
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM

21,631 posts, read 23,874,722 times
Powdered milk?.... hmmm... not if you have cholesterol issues. There are mixed opinions about oxysterols (oxidized cholesterol).
UHT milk might be a better choice ( shelf life 6-9 months ) no refrigerator needed.
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM

11,492 posts, read 8,478,354 times
This thread reminds me of a story my husband told me. For some reason they always ran out of milk growing up, so his mom would make powdered milk. They all dreaded it. She was frugal and thought 1 gallon of milk was enough for 4 men and herself. He would ask her why she did not run to the store to get more milk if she knew she ran out, her answer was I don't know and I did not feel like it, meanwhile there was a deli 5 blocks away. He eneded up eating his cereal dry because of this. If I did have to use it I would buy carnation brand but since DH has bad memories of it It's not allowed in the house LOL

Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post

HW
that's an awfull long drive to a milk store. There isn't any convenicence stores tied to a gas station to get milk?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 PM

50,119 posts, read 42,592,590 times
When I was growing up dad went through a period (very short thank God) where we used powdered milk....Dad had some strange ideas. He loved going to nice restaurants, we had a very upscale house, we ate meat cuts like prime, and mostly had fresh everything. Then to economize we sould have things like powdered milk, dad would go to a warehouse near the train yards in Los Angeles and buy damaged canned goods by the case and we had day old bread from time to time from the Hostess store I think.

One time he came home with a case of canned plums. Of course none of us liked canned plums and when he and my step mom sold our house about 20 years later I was helping them pack for the move. What did I find in the top cupboard? Yep canned plums.

While cutting corners in some ways, he blew money in other ways, like my mom had a house keeper once a week for an long as I can remember. I didn't pick up many of his habits thank God. I never bought powdered milk, I only had a house keeper when we lived in the DC area and could easily afford one and I don't buy damaged canned goods. I do use coupons and shop for specials though.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 AM

9,496 posts, read 11,845,539 times
Powdered milk comes in handy when you need milk for a recipe but don't have milk in the house.

Nowadays, however, with milk at $1.67/gallon last week, we buy a gallon and freeze three quarts.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:23 AM

10,834 posts, read 4,005,519 times
Neither my kid nor I are big on drinking milk and I got tired of throwing away stuff that had gone bad because we didn't drink it fast enough so I switched to keeping powdered milk on hand to use in cooking; I would also mix it up and use it on my oatmeal. I don't know what brand it was because I got it out of the bulk food section of my favorite store.

I haven't bought/used it for some time, though, because I'm getting my milk in a different, more natural and fresh, way.

The powdered was ok - I really didn't have much of a problem one way or another using it - but fresh, whole, and raw is better.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Powdered milk comes in handy when you need milk for a recipe but don't have milk in the house.

Nowadays, however, with milk at $1.67/gallon last week, we buy a gallon and freeze three quarts.
Doesn't freezing milk change the taste?? I did that once and when it thawed out it tasted horrible. Maybe it's just me I don't know.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 AM

9,496 posts, read 11,845,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Doesn't freezing milk change the taste?? I did that once and when it thawed out it tasted horrible. Maybe it's just me I don't know.
No change in taste at all. You have to let it thaw out completely first.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 AM

4,005 posts, read 3,461,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post

HW

165 from a place to buy milk?

Maybe you should get a dairy cow. Powdered milk is nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink