U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 PM

348 posts, read 47,325 times

Advertisements

I won't eat it...no way! Mine has to be cooked first and I love COOKED seafood. I don't eat any kind of meat raw. Even shaved ham for the deli has been cooked prior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 PM

16,128 posts, read 16,251,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Is eating sushi still considered "cool" or "sophisticated" where you live?

It doesn't exist where I live, lol.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:01 AM

19,126 posts, read 15,159,584 times
We have quite a few sushi restaurants where I'm at and even my Dad (big, tattooed biker and mechanic) loves sushi, so I definitely don't think of it as exotic. It's become a tradition in my family to go out to sushi for everyone's birthday, and my local joint sells deep friend green tea ice cream that is INCREDIBLE.
I don't touch the grocery store stuff...yick.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM

2,402 posts, read 2,026,549 times
Definitely here where I live now... where in fact, even a Mexican restaurant / a Russian / an American Chinese restaurant will be "exotic".
Because we are a resident & farm only town and we have a clause for no business / any development for our town (which I love it that way).

Now 5 miles away... in the next town over have only "American style", Italian, American Family style restaurants & a bakery cafe and an Italian ice place... thats it.

For Chinese & Japanese food, its 15 miles away to the closest one.
For Thai, it will be around 1/2 hr away.
For Dim Sum, 1 hr away.
& My country's food... 1 and 1/2 hr away.

Not too bad I think.

Grew up with Japanese foods & have Sushi since 10 yr old... so Japanese foods has never been trendy nor exotic for me... to my town maybe.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:48 AM

10,365 posts, read 17,088,670 times
Lots of sushi places where I am, but these days the trendier food is tapas ad ceviche (Peruvian) Lots of Peruvian places have opened up, plus the whole "tapas" (small plate) trend is just the in thing right now.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 AM

3,266 posts, read 2,263,370 times
Two Japanese restaurants in town, and sushi is still considered sophisticated. I'm a long time transplant from L.A. so eating sushi is as normal as eating a hamburger to me and my kids.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:28 PM

2,402 posts, read 2,026,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Lots of sushi places where I am, but these days the trendier food is tapas ad ceviche (Peruvian) Lots of Peruvian places have opened up, plus the whole "tapas" (small plate) trend is just the in thing right now.
Had "tapas" 7 years back at a specialty tapas place in Hartford, CT & a specialty ceviche place named aptly after it with over 10 types of ceviche, again 5 years back when working down close to Springfield, DC.

"If" it is "trend" than it is just an old trend revisiting... really nothing "new" nor "trendy" to me.... simply been there done that lots.

May be "new" to a second generation youngsters grown from a child transition to an out of home single adult who now likes to travel & have a little food exposure due to job & hence eat out habits... but really to an old hat like me... not so much.

Thus why my DD will never go "ooohs & ahhhs" over exotic food trend... simply just because she already has been exposed to it (so "safe" from some man trying to woo her with a few "culture tricks" from food trends down the years when she grows up). Can't help it... I craved sushi 2X a week carrying her... and she went to her 1st sushi restaurant at 2.

P.S. Like trends.. eg. Eileen Grey's designs... owning one of her pieces today may say the ultimate modern trend statement... yet, it is born in 1910s -30s... died down then brought back into life in late 1990s - 2000s... today 2012... that trend still thrives on.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM

18,152 posts, read 15,658,532 times
You can get it in Target and Hy-Vee here in the midwest, so, no, not especially exotic.

My first exposure to tapas was with my high school Spanish club in the early to mid-1990s, so I'm gonna have to go with not a new, exotic trend for that, too.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 PM

20,511 posts, read 16,839,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
It doesn't exist where I live, lol.
Oh jeeze, does food have to be 'trendy' or 'cool'? I like it because its healthy yet tasty. Who cares what makes us look like we're 'with it'!
We dont have a sushi place here in this town but there might be a place in New Holstein, next town down the road. I eat foods I like, not foods that have to make an impression on someone...

Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 AM

2,033 posts, read 2,112,309 times
No. It's as commonplace as Chinese or pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink