Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:04 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I remember eating sushi for the first time in SF back in the late 80's. It seemed exotic to me because I'd never had it and just figuring out what was what (fish wise) took some doing. CA rolls were a staple for awhile but over the years I figured out what I liked I started going more and more and now it's just part of my regular diet.

I get the sushi vs sashimi thing but everyone refers to the fish/rice combo as "sushi". Kind of a generic term now like "coke" and "kleenex"...haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Another confused sushi critic. You're thinking of sashimi. Sushi is vinegared rice. It may or may not have a piece of uncooked seafood on it, but there are versions that have bbqed eel, or cooked egg, boiled sweet shrimp, etc. One of the sushi places I go to has teriyaki chicken rolls. Almost all sushi places will do a tempura vegetable roll with no seafood at all.

At least know what it is that you so abhor.
Exactly ... I don't do Sashimi but LOVE the various types of sushi that doesn't involve raw seafood

Old 06-05-2012, 04:37 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Not at all. We have a good restaurant here in Merrimack County, Nh that serves Sushi (Chen Yang Li) in Bow.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Up until 2006, there was only one place to get sushi in the Duluth - Superior area, and it was an obscure bar on the Superior nightlife strip. The first sushi restaurant opened in a space that formerly held a burger joint and drive-through gyro place, adjoined to a gas station.

Now in 2012, the original sushi restaurant has expanded its operations to a downtown "shopping mall" and two additional restaurants have since opened, at least one targeting the "cool" element in town. Sushi is also served at a trendy "lounge", along with "flatbread".

So sushi seems to be the reserve of the "in crowd" in Duluth, or the sophisticated people. Many, especially those above 30 years of age or so, still think of it as bait or express repugnance at its very mention.

However, I have heard that there are places in this country where it is just another food, and it is long passe as far as "food trends" go. One area where this seems to be true is the L.A. area.

Is eating sushi still considered "cool" or "sophisticated" where you live?
I live in rural Livingston County, MI -- sushi has been hip in nearby Ann Arbor for 30 years, but it just arrived a couple of years ago here, only 25 miles away. Most local people avoid it as if it were rat-on-a-stick.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,913 times
No, but a lot of people including me don't like them. I won't even touch one with a ten foot pole. I don't know how more people don't get sick from them, there was even a man in Japan who got maggots in his brains from eating too much sushi.

I think Asians have the nastiest foods, except for the Chinese. I try to also avoid any "exotic" places as they tend to be dirtier. Americans have the best foods and restaurants.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
No, but a lot of people including me don't like them. I won't even touch one with a ten foot pole. I don't know how more people don't get sick from them, there was even a man in Japan who got maggots in his brains from eating too much sushi.

I think Asians have the nastiest foods, except for the Chinese. I try to also avoid any "exotic" places as they tend to be dirtier. Americans have the best foods and restaurants.
Is this post satire?

I know it isn't, even as I wish otherwise.

Anyway... where I live now, in a blue collar neighborhood, it is neither exotic nor common. Many people here still eat in a manner you could describ as middle American. Cream of mushroom recipes and pizza for takeout. In Buna, TX, it was pretty exotic.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:

If eating too much sushi caused maggots on the brain, I'd be long dead and buried. I think you have your food-borne gross-out stories confused and you are probably thinking about the woman, in Arizona, who contracted a worm in her brain from consuming undercooked pork in a taco, right here in an American restaurant. I hope you like Mexican, yum yum.

Worm Removed From Woman's Brain

If you have a credible source for a story about a man in Japan getting maggots in his brains from eating too much sushi I'd love to read it. Please post a link.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
Quote:
Well everyone is entitled to their opinon! But you are missing out on a lot. To each their own though.

Personally I LOVE sushi, and like Hunter Wold posted, I make it myself as well. It's easy once you get the hang of it. The first time I had sushi in 1992 I thought it was exotic but now, living in the Bay Area, CA there are Japanese restaurants everywhere. Still love it. I'm craving it now after reading this thread!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,657 times
I never thought of sushi as trendy and hip, it's another food choice as other poster's mentioned. Although it does seem to be more liked by the younger population. It is also thought of as "healthier" generally than pizza and fast food, which could have lead to it's increase in popularity over the years.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
I first had sushi somewhere in midtown Manhattan on a school field trip in 1970. My mother got POd because I was a picky eater, so how could it be that I'd eat raw fish?

There's a sushi case in nearly every supermarket in Pittsburgh, where I live now, so I'd say it's beyond trendy just about everywhere.

However, omakase is a hot thing here, probably 5-10 years behind the major cities. Gets people to try things beyond spicy tuna rolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink