U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:08 PM

34,541 posts, read 42,708,506 times

Advertisements

Ok, so if you have delicate sensibilities, stop reading right now.
Today, I bought some very nice looking Cod at Publix (never frozen). I had a hankering for some fried fish (which was a huge mistake, because it makes a big mess on my stove, but at least I can examine it before I cook it).
So, I placed the fish on a board, salt and peppered it, and dredged it with corn starch (per Alton Brown). I go back to begin putting on the batter and frying it, and there was a worm wiggling around next to the fish.
Worms gross me out. This makes me think I don't want to ever eat fish anymore.
Tomorrow, Publix is getting an earful.
This just freaks me out. I wonder how many worms are in previosly frozen fish, but they're not still moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,607,415 times
I found a worm in fresh Alaskan Salmon I bought at Publix. It wasn't their fault. My love of Alaskan Salmon came from a friend who fished in Alaska and brought it to me fresh. He said he bet I had eaten other fish with worms, but never knew because most fish is previously frozen.
Publix refunded my money--their customer service is outstanding. But, I haven't eaten Salmon since

Old 04-07-2012, 07:03 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
All wild animals have parasites. The ones in seafood are all harmless to humans. Nearly all in all other animals are hamless, too, and all are harmless if thoroughly cooked.

You're just lucky that the jilllions of parasites that have been in your food were too small to see.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
I have found worms in walleyes and bass that I have caught out of very clean lakes.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:37 PM

33,555 posts, read 51,767,813 times
I learned that there are over a hundred species of parasites that can be found in fish, but only 3 of them are potentially harmful to humans: Pseudoterranova decipiens (a.k.a. "cod worm" or "seal worm"), Anisakis Simplex, and Tapeworm ( most common in wild salmon and fresh water fish).
Becoming a host to anisakis worms by eating them live, can make you very sick - this disease is known as anisakiasis (symptoms mimicking Crohn's disease). Anisakis and cod worm can't reproduce in human and tape worm rarely make it into humans.
BTW: FDA requires all fish with a potential hazard of parasites that is intended for raw consumption to be previously frozen. ( freezing kills the parasites), so generally all that "fresh" sushi you've been eating is previously frozen.
If you cook you fish well ( 140+F) then you eat dead worms. Not a pretty picture, but no harm to your body. You can also freeze your fish at -4F for 7 days. ( Home freezers may not be cold enough to kill the parasites ).
Most worm infected fish: amberjack, sea trout, mackerel, catfish, salmon, pike, perch, lake trout, halibut, grayling, orange roughy, grouper, and turbot. Pretty much the common fish on market and in restaurants - make sure you order them well done.
Parasites > Fish and Parasites

Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,536,761 times
Makes sushi sound a bit off-putting!

Old 04-08-2012, 05:22 AM

34,541 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I know it would have probably been harmless, and that we eat questionable things every day. It just grosses me out. Also, if I sold fish, I would at least look at it before I sell it...the worm was brown, the fish was white.
Part of me is thinking, if the worms are still alive, then at least the fish is probably fresh.
I guess I'm off of fish for awhile.

Elnina, I want to click on the fish parasites link, but I can't make myself do it.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,607,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know it would have probably been harmless, and that we eat questionable things every day. It just grosses me out. Also, if I sold fish, I would at least look at it before I sell it...the worm was brown, the fish was white.
Part of me is thinking, if the worms are still alive, then at least the fish is probably fresh.
I guess I'm off of fish for awhile.

Elnina, I want to click on the fish parasites link, but I can't make myself do it.
It really grossed me out too! But only for salmon; I still eat other fish.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
Most fish or seafood sold in America is SUPPOSED to have been frozen...it kills worms/parasites!

That's why you shouldn't be too concerned about "fresh" sushi or other seafood. Previously frozen has the same taste, texture and nutrients....without the worms and other creepy crawlers!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
I am very wary about eating sushi. I have read that a freezing protocol for sushi is required......do they do it.....who knows. I prefer to cook my own or eat canned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink