U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM

4,466 posts, read 3,793,644 times

Advertisements

I was just listening to a radio commentator discussing that in Texas and ?California there is a "law" that "they" are trying to do away with plastic bags and paper bags and a shopper has to bring his/her "own" canvas type bags to have their groceries put in

And, a caller said that in Brownsville, Tx., the checker asked if he wanted his groceries bagged it would cost him $1.00
He walked out and left his $300.00 basket.

So, have you heard this?

I was at a Trader Joe's and a Sunflower market in Abq on Wen. and they both had the heavy paper bags which I love. I can use them again etc.

Have you heard about this or is this a practice where you live?

When I was in the grocery biz a size #40 bag cost .05 cents, now I guess they are made in China (like where else) but not sure the cost. I think the cost is passed on some how to the consumer anyway.

Thoughts?

HW standing by...and have a good weekend.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM

19,400 posts, read 11,563,828 times
Aldi has been charging for their bags since they opened, what is the big deal. You either pay for the bag or bring your own, pretty simple solution there. Grocery stores as well as a lot of other businesses are trying to encourage people to bring their own reusable bags to cut down on the consumption of plastic/paper bags which cuts down on the amount of crap put in landfills and helps the business sustain the "going green" environment.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM

21,591 posts, read 23,714,857 times
While I agree that we should cut on the plastic bags usage, a dollar for a bag is way to much ( except its heavy duty reusable bag). A price of 5-10 cents is more appropriate.
I noticed in my grocery store that the current free bags are very small, and very thin. The store baggers put only 1-2 items in it, because they rip so easily. They double-bag and I often come home with 10+ bags. What a waste! When I ask for paper bags, they are always out of it.
Maybe when we have to pay for the bags, we will have a better control over the quality and quantity...
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 AM

4,005 posts, read 3,432,871 times
In many areas plastic bags are completely banned. I have at least a dozen heavy reusable bags that I have been using for years. They are sturdy, have easy-to-carry handles and hold much more than paper or plastic bags.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,771,702 times
Here in eastern Pennsylvania we have a large discount grocery chain called Bottom Dollar Foods.
They do not bag your groceries for you and will charge for plastic bags.
You can also bring your own.
The bags they sell for five cents apiece are heavier plastic so they can be reused many times.
I have no problem bagging my own groceries when shopping there.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
Grocery stores have always charged for their bags. Did you think that they somhow provided them for free? It is rolled into your grocery price.

Some stores give you a discount if you bring your own bags. I think they give you .25 cents off the bil for each back you bring. It might be less than that I am not sure.

We bought a bunch of those canvas bags, we we rarely remember to bring them with us. Most of our grocery shopping is done on the spur of the moment when we are on our way home form somthing. We have found a use for those canvas bags we bought thugh. They are great for storing plastic grocery bags. You can fit 30-50 plastic grocery bags in one of those canvas bags.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 AM

4,466 posts, read 3,793,644 times
I just talked to the store manager at Sunflower mkt in Abq. and he said the cost for a #40 bag, which is the large paper bag is .10 cents and he said there are no plans to stop using them and the cost is absorbed as CODB=cost of doing business.

Hey a dollar here and a dollar there adds up for me.

Watch your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

HW

Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 AM

21,591 posts, read 23,714,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You can fit 30-50 plastic grocery bags in one of those canvas bags.
^^^ ????? How BIG are the canvas bags???
I don't think anyone could lift a canvas bag with 50 plastic grocery bags inside.....

Hunter Wold: like Coldjensens said - they are NOT free. You just don't pay for them separately.
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 AM

50,021 posts, read 42,368,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
I was just listening to a radio commentator discussing that in Texas and ?California there is a "law" that "they" are trying to do away with plastic bags and paper bags and a shopper has to bring his/her "own" canvas type bags to have their groceries put in

And, a caller said that in Brownsville, Tx., the checker asked if he wanted his groceries bagged it would cost him $1.00
He walked out and left his $300.00 basket.

So, have you heard this?

I was at a Trader Joe's and a Sunflower market in Abq on Wen. and they both had the heavy paper bags which I love. I can use them again etc.

Have you heard about this or is this a practice where you live?

When I was in the grocery biz a size #40 bag cost .05 cents, now I guess they are made in China (like where else) but not sure the cost. I think the cost is passed on some how to the consumer anyway.

Thoughts?

HW standing by...and have a good weekend.
HW, I haven't heard that but I can believe it. Our favorite local store gives us .05 credit for each cloth bag but certainly doesn't charge for plastic or paper. We try to use recycleably as much as possible but we do need a few plastic bags in our house for lots of things.

We too love the Trader Joe's bags we used to get in Albuquerque. In fact our names would go into a drawing if we returned them to the store for future use. We always did.

Missik, I don't think plastic bags are banned in many places, a few maybe..

Nita

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM

50,021 posts, read 42,368,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Aldi has been charging for their bags since they opened, what is the big deal. You either pay for the bag or bring your own, pretty simple solution there. Grocery stores as well as a lot of other businesses are trying to encourage people to bring their own reusable bags to cut down on the consumption of plastic/paper bags which cuts down on the amount of crap put in landfills and helps the business sustain the "going green" environment.
Yes, Aldi's always had and I don't think it is the big deal issue, it is trying to pass a law that bothers many of us. We have too many laws now. Going green is wonderful as long as it isn't carried too far. Eliminating plastic is fine, but we have always had paper bags since I was a small child (many years ago) If we have to pay for all our bags what about things like buying lettuce, squash, tomatoes or other produce and what about buying products from the deli, how will they be packaged?

Charging for economically reasons is one thing. Yes, Aldi's and similar stores do this plus they don't take credit cards, they have a deposit for carts, etc. They also sell as discount prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink