Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times

Advertisements

We do a lot of meatless meals, both for the savings and for purposes of developing a more varied diet that isn't built so heavily around meat entrees. Wasn't initially doing this for the monetary savings, but it is a nice side effect.

When I do cook with meat, it's more likely to be a minor ingredient in the meal (some bits of meat in a stir fry, salad, or soup) than taking center stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 AM

20,862 posts, read 28,209,689 times
Nothing really except red meat because it's not good to have it all the time. If we do have red meat like steak we have it twice a year and go out to a nice restaurant to get it. I have not stopped buying anything because of price. If it's expensive then I wait for it to go on sale. Latley Breyers and turkey hill have been having sales like buy one get one or 2 for $6.00 so I will buy a half gallon if on sale.I don't mind paying $3.00 or $4.00 for a half gallon of ice cream but at almost $6.00 that's just insane.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:25 AM

492 posts, read 627,410 times
We have stopped buying potatoe chips. Hubby was looking for a reason to quit and the high price just helped him.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 AM

771 posts, read 1,454,365 times
Avocado. Maybe I haven't stopped eating it at all, but I certainly don't buy it as often as I used to. I remember I would always have one at the table for every meal, now I treat it more like a luxury item for special meals.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,032,130 times
I have not cut anything from our grocery list and do not use smaller portions either. If we want it we buy it and use it. There is NO skimping on food in this home EVER.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,411,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have not cut anything from our grocery list and do not use smaller portions either. If we want it we buy it and use it. There is NO skimping on food in this home EVER.
I'm with CSD. I don't skimp... but I do budget. I don't naturally gravitate towards the most expensive meats - we like the cheaper (more flavorful) cuts of meat, and I'm used to purchasing things on sale. There is always some kind of meat or cheese we like on sale. Where I don't skimp at all is on fresh vegetables, though if I can make it to Sprout's that week we can even eat cheap on those!

I also have certain things I only get at Costco and Aldi's is a great resource for cheap butter and meats also.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
My husband loves thick sliced applewood smoked bacon--Wright's is the brand I think--and it is usually $6-$8 per pound. But he works hard, home before me and cooks most nights, so I think he deserves his bacon. We have cut our portions like nmnita and cut back in other areas. I will cook with bacon occasionally, but do not eat it by itself--so DH gets my portion!
I can't understand what is with this bacon stuff? Sausage isn't all that expensive and we eat more pork than anything because it is the least expensive meat there is and yet bacon is out of sight. It makes very little sense to me. Oh another thing that has gone up over the past few years: potatoes. We get 5 lbs for about $2 or 2.50 on sale but I can remember buying them for .99 for 5 lbs only a couple of years ago. OK, once in awhile we see them dirt chreap, but not often. Try buying them by the lb? The little white, new potatoes, a few weeks ago were .99 lb. Thank goodness we have cut back of potatoes as well. WE eat more rice and pasta than we used to. But pasta has gone up as well.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My use of red meat and other animal products such as pork/cheese has dropped significantly due to:

1. health reasons (cholesterol, high BP, weight gain, dairy allergies resulting in inflammation/joint pain)
2. costs (see below)

I've found that the more vegetables/legumes/beans I eat, the healthier and thinner I am, so it all works out rather nicely.

A can of beans of 16 oz. for $.69 gives me all the protein I need versus $4.99.lb. and up for a steak or ground round.

I love cheese, but it doesn't love me (especially the yummy bleu cheese and other moldy types), so it's rare around my house any more.

Saving money, saving my health.
69 cents for a can of beans is a good price, but have you thought about using dried beans instead, they have more fiber and are a heck of a lot cheaper. A lb bag will run from $1 to $1.50 and you can feed almost the entire neighborhood by just adding a little onion, garlic, peppers, or whatever. Just a suggestion. As for the blue cheese, I have to admit, that is one thing I have not cut back on. All cheeses are my best friends.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,974,220 times
Ok, lets see here:
Bacon---won't buy the cheap stuff anyway...
Avocados---unless they are about .50cents and bigger than a lemon...
Seafood----saw some "old" 'fresh' Halibut at a Albertsons in Gallup and they wanted $37.00/lb...nuffsaid.
I will buy some if the price is what it should be and the item is really "fresh".
Cheeses- the ones we/I like are just too darn expensive anymore.
Some breads....I will pay up to $3.99 for a good rye bread.
and yes, Potato chips...$4.49 for a few ounces of potatoes that are fried....nuts to that.

Sodas-unless really a good sale price. Do buy some "store" brands that are just as good.

Pastries---well yes I miss the really good brands, but $6.00 for Swensens' is just too much.

Meats----since we have a fair supply of beef from our beef, I only will buy Pork when it's on sale and that is only about every 3 months. Lamb, once every 6months.
Chicken when it's on sale and freeze it. Still also have elk, vension left, but will run out by June.

Cottage cheese, yikes $2.49/pint at Safeway....only if the budget allows it every 2 months or so.

Cereals: buy the bulk granola, etc.

and the list goes on and on.

HW

Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,614,513 times
Chicken wings are expensive at the Glendale supermarkets. I love wings so I try to buy them at the Armenian meat markets because the price is more reasonable but I still don't buy them the way I used to.

Olive oil is really overpriced and I only buy avocados on sale now.

Last edited by Praline; 04-23-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink