Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 AM

246 posts, read 329,148 times

Advertisements

What's the best grub you've had and where?

Two locales to start:

Mejor Que Nada, San Angelo, TX -- sets the bar high for chicken fajitas.
Kopp's Frozen Custard, Glendale, WI -- one taste & you'll never suffer the sight of ice cream again.

Others?

Magpies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 10:45 AM

46 posts, read 362,771 times
Default Best food

In the grub category:

Navajo Tacos at Gouldings by the Navajo Tribal Park, Monument Valley, Utah. One's a meal!

Philly Cheesesteaks at Verdugo Pines Christian Retreat Center by Wrightwood, California. I know, a long distance from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but take it from a friend of mine who is a Pittsburgh native and knows the original: it rocks! One's more than a meal. . . It's a monument to sheer indulgence!

In the food category:

Steak at the Best Western Hotel in Jasper, Alberta, Canada. Juicy, flavorful, and most likely, just cut from the carcass that day! You haven't eaten real steak until you've been to the wilds of Jasper. Your taste buds will thank you!

Shrimp in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (actually, just over the bridge to the north of Vancouver). Much better and plumper than anything now offered at San Francisco's (very overrated, IMHO) Fisherman's Wharf, and with the seafaring fresh flavor that adds to the experience! Nothing frozen here. Any restaurant located at the bay should do a fantastic job supplying your desires.

And yes, I think these locations are worthy of including on your itinerary. When I was paid to drive foreign tourists to these locations, I looked forward to stopping at 'em! Notice also that I've not mentioned the usual tourist traps (I've seen them a'plenty. . .) such as Las Vegas and San Francisco. They're alright, but not the best food out there.

For dishonorable mention, I would do everything I could to avoid ARA's cafeteria food service operations at the Grand Canyon. How can they make enchiladas so bad and Phoenix can make them so good?

s/AV Native

Old 09-18-2006, 11:08 AM

262 posts, read 2,022,045 times
Thumbs up in Maryland...

Great topic by the way...

Mexican street food (lamb, tripe, and beef tacos) in Little Mexico (Riverdale) - and the neighboring bakery La Flor de Puebla for sugar & cream donuts

Peruvian Chicken at El Pollo Rico and Crisp & Juicy w/ yuca fries & Inca Kola.

Hand-dipped donuts at the Fractured Prune in Ocean city (and now Annapolis!) Just had the Maple Glazed Bacon flavor - amazing...

Steamed MD blue crabs across the state - yupscale Cantler's on Annapolis waterfront, redneck-y but awesome Gunning's in Brooklyn Park, many more...

Hand-dipped, homemade ice cream - 100s of flavors - at the Daily Scoop in Pasadena.

The BBQ truck that parks on Rt 1 between Muirkirk Rd and the MVA in Beltsville

Huge deli sandwiches at My Butcher & More (Boar's Head meats, fresh veggies, awesome owners) in Gambrills on Rt 450 (also, the best butcher case in the state - Kobe beef & pork chops!)

The Chesapeake Bay Martini!!!! (a 40 oz. Natural Bohemian, poured in a martini glass, garnished w/ a chicken wing!)

Plus other great local treasures like stuffed ham, MD fried chicken (both St. Mary's county favorites and the now ubiquitous fried-oysters. The best versions are found at Charleston in Baltimore and The Inn at Easton, a full meal at either will run you $100+ a head with wine. Both are WELL worth it.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:16 PM

bringing this topic to the top so more people post...

I like this topic a lot as you may be able to tell...

Old 09-19-2006, 02:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Default Within 75 miles of DC

Crab Cakes and Crab Imperial at Snyder's Willow Grove in Linthicum, MD. Play Keno while you're there. Sit in the bar area, the crowd is cool, and I always thought the dining room was too staid.

Italian food at Olive Grove in Linthicum, just up from Snyders. Huge salad bowls, lots of real food.

Pizza at Emilio's in Sterling, VA, just off RT 28 in the Belfort shopping area. Try the Roma. Best in the region.

Cheesesteaks and fries at Philadelphia Mike's in Chantilly, VA.

Chinese at Golden China in Chantilly, VA. Best storefront Chinese ever, they also do the Mongolian BBQ thing.

Burgers at Five Guys, various spots in Northern VA (Skyline, Chantilly, more).

Crab Cakes, Crab Imperial, any crab dish at Dean's in Hampstead, MD. Homemade pies. Karaoke on Friday nights.

Subs and Stromboli's in King's Pizza in Brunswick, MD. Real Italians, from the old country (hey, I'm talking 'bout Brooklyn).

Burgers, chain style, the Double R Burger at Roy Rogers, in Frederick and Brunswick, MD, or Leesburg, VA.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-19-2006 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: brevity

Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 PM

Default five guys

Mike, sadly the Five Guys legend has diminished due to their rapid overexpansion - they're in Laurel MD now (gasp!)

But they still make a solid burger...it's just that the quality varies by location.

Snyder's is good, but their steaks leave a lot to be desired. AS you said, stick w/ the crab!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:39 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Hot dogs and meatball sandwiches at The Last Stand in Holmes, PA. Mrs. Robino's for Italian in Wilmington, DE.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:56 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Tiny little place in Ambler, PA called Rich's Deli makes THE BEST cheese steak on the planet. You can not possibly eat a whole one in one sitting. If you ask them to hold the peppers they will look at you like you have sprouted a second head.

The Hungry Trout in Lake Placid, NY for trout any way you like it (as long as that includes the head still on it when it is served).

The Alpine in Lake Placid, NY for awesome German food and an awesome selection of imported beers. I am partial to the jaegerschniztel.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:29 PM

246 posts, read 329,148 times
pkoons, thanks for keeping the ball in the air. Agreed, this is a topic that merits discussion!

Magpies

Old 09-19-2006, 09:53 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
I've tried to come up with something, but my old haunts are exactly that, haunts

As far as chains, I love Cracker Barrel's Grilled Chicken Tenderloin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink