Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 03:44 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

My kids agree with you, OP. I could not get any of them to eat raw tomato if it were the last food on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 04:03 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
I don't like, or eat raw tomatoes, but I only wish I did, they look so succulent.
How can it be that something that looks so good, doesn't appeal to me?
I've tried, but I just don't like the taste.
However, if they are in a cooked meal, Indian for example, I'll eat them, likewise if I'm in Dixie and see fried green tomatoes on a menu, I'll go for them all day long.

Somehow I have the feeling that I've posted this before, maybe it was another forum, I hope so.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:19 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I'm one of those people who are like this.

I don't like the taste of eating a tomato at all and in fact, would say I hate it. If I were to bite into one as if it were an apple, I'd feel like I'd want to retch -- the sheer taste, the texture etc. all feels distasteful to me.

I don't like it at all, but I'm fine with a slice of tomato in a sandwich or whatever so long as it is a small thin slice and drowned out by the flavour of other things (though you may ask, why eat it at all if you dislike it). I also quite like bruschetta though which I thought to myself was kind of odd, but then again I don't really taste the tomato-like taste strongly in it among the other flavours.

I'm okay with tomato-based sauces and ketchup though and don't dislike them at all. To me, it's different from the taste of raw tomato itself.

Anyone else? Is this common would you say? I don't really care if I'm weird -- I'm just curious as to if any others feel this way.
I used to be this way (though couldn't even stand a thin slice in a sandwich) until a friend told me about putting salt on them. Now I can't get enough of tomatoes! Never thought I would like them. I like cherry/grape/romas the best, but any will do. Without salt on them, still think they're gross. I used to order sandwiches without tomatoes, but now when I do I take them out and put salt on them and eat it that way; still don't like them in sandwiches, hamburgers, etc.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:14 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
My step kids were like this...drove me nuts....no tomatoes or onions but they'd eat salsa....

Old 10-31-2016, 02:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Let's face it: most of the year, in much of the country, raw tomatoes are worthless. I love them in the summer, but I wouldn't pay five cents for a pound of them ten months out of the year. I love them when they're good. I eat them with mozzarella and pesto during August and September, for as long as they last.

Sauces made with canned tomatoes are a completely different product. I don't find them comparable.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:12 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
It's the same or worse with onions..
If I had a dollar for every time I heard I hate onions, cant eat onions, I'm allergic!!!

Onions are in just about every savory food ever made..

Old 10-31-2016, 05:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I used to hate tomatoes in any form outside of sauce or ketchup Or salsa.

I realized that I had eaten too many bad and tasteless tomatoes.

Now I like fresh ones, but only if it is tomato season. Cherry tomatoes can be tolerable at off-peak times. But I'd rather just not eat tomatoes fresh if they aren't tasty.

I don't like tomatoes in sandwiches or anything. They make things soggy to me!

Old 10-31-2016, 08:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I like tomatoes, but if they're on a sandwich and have soaked into the bread, no thanks. I don't like soggy, tomato juice-sodden bread.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:21 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
It's the same or worse with onions..
If I had a dollar for every time I heard I hate onions, cant eat onions, I'm allergic!!!

Onions are in just about every savory food ever made..
Apples and giraffes. Onions aren't a thing that are only good two months out of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink