Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 06:45 PM

251 posts, read 203,829 times

Advertisements

I'm a senior member of a team that's half Indian, half Caucasian. We're a mix of Muslim, Christian, and Unknown backgrounds. After solving a difficult problem, the team asked for a potluck as a treat.

I know goat would be appreciated. I know where to shop for it so it's halal.

What I want to do is somehow blend a theme of people's favorite foods with a theme that brings it together. Here's what I've got to work with:

an entree featuring goat (my personal responsibility)
zucchini bread
a dessert with no sugar (almond-stuffed figs, maybe)

Spices could unify things, and here the standouts are cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, and probably one other one I can't think of just now.

I have the meat, a "bread" that feels more like a cake/dessert, to me, even though it's labeled a vegetable, and a dessert.

1. What am I missing that would help pull this together?
2. Can I use goat in a recipe designed for lamb, or do any of you have some recipes that are specific to goat?
3. Where online can I go to find a reliable-yet-modern understanding of Muslim cooking restrictions or better yet, cool menu design ideas?

Any help appreciated. I hate making this up as I go...which is what I'm doing right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
yes,,,you can use goat for lamb recipes..

how about some fruit kabobs on a stick,,,,colorful,,,,and fruit doesn't offend anyone!

as far as I know,,,muslims don't like pork,,,their meat has to be halal processed..
so you are covered..

Old 04-07-2016, 07:22 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Naan? A vegetable curry or spices from the Middle East?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-08-2016, 03:28 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Rice! Either plain or a rice pilaf or other rice dish

Also maybe lentils or chick peas would go great with all of that

I agree with the naan or even just pita or papadum - mmmmm hummus too

Green salad or crudités could work too. Some pickles or olives maybe

Raita or tzatziki - a nice cool yogurt sauce/dip

Dates are a sweet dessert without processed sugar but lots of natural sugars. Medjul dates are especially good.

I'm used to work pot lucks not having such a rigid theme but it sounds delicious to me.

Last edited by toosie; 04-08-2016 at 03:37 AM..

Old 04-08-2016, 08:09 AM

126,272 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Vegetable samosas are always great with tamarind sauce and always served at my parties
A chick peas salad
Vegetarian Biryani
Saag with paneer with naan or chapatis
Lauki kofta curry
definitely yogurt or mint cucumber raita,or boondi raita

for dessert my favorites to serve when my inlaws come or I have a party
Semolina halva
Carrot halva
Ras malai
How about brownies

Old 04-09-2016, 01:15 AM

251 posts, read 203,829 times
Default Omg, you guys are awesome!

Rice, d'oh, of course!
I looooove ras malai, will probably get it from restaurant. I'm not patient enough to boil all that milk down.
Fruit kabobs, never thought of that, gonna do it.

These are great, thank you, keep 'em coming.

The group's had a rough ride, it's been "reforming" for months. We need to affirm our joint identity and we decided to do it over food. The last potluck was an ice cream social and people loved it, but not the sugar crash afterwards. So I'm presenting some healthier, more "unified yet diverse" ideas. One way to simplify this is take all the suggestions here and see what if any flavors or motifs repeat. Two are emerging: tropical fruit-nut combos, and geographies.

Chocolate is Universal.

I'm excited about all your suggestions! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink