U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 AM
 
Location: Oopsland
631 posts, read 770,481 times
Reputation: 585

Advertisements

I bought some chicken the other day and my attention was drawn to the sticker that said it has 149 kcal per 100 grams. The question is how they managed to count calories of chicken since it has not only meat but some inedible parts like bones. Does this figure of 149 kcal include only edible part of the chicken or both edible and inedible.

The same question bothers me when it comes to fruits that have bones within it like peaches or peel like bananas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
Reputation: 7205
Since the inedible parts are....well, inedible, I'm sure they don't count towards total calories....just like the calories of the BOX that surrounds the cereal doesn't get counted! But, calories are based on SERVING SIZE....so you have to take that into account. Many chicken breasts are larger than 1 serving, so you may be getting more calories if you eat the entire thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Oopsland
631 posts, read 770,481 times
Reputation: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Since the inedible parts are....well, inedible, I'm sure they don't count towards total calories....just like the calories of the BOX that surrounds the cereal doesn't get counted!
I see a problems here. Edibility is a matter of taste. Some dogs eat bones, some people don't eat skin, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
But, calories are based on SERVING SIZE....so you have to take that into account. Many chicken breasts are larger than 1 serving, so you may be getting more calories if you eat the entire thing!
Calories should be based on some standard weight figure like 100 grams. When a food producer specifies that his product has some amount of calories based on serving size that is neither more nor less than a slyness. I remember how Mars started to do so. Back in the day they specified on the package that Snickers had around 500 kcal per 100 grams. Then, they divided the Snickers into two parts and started to write that it had only around 250 kcal per piece. That is just a smart attempt to mislead customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 PM
 
Location: the Beaver State
6,468 posts, read 11,151,676 times
Reputation: 3513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
I bought some chicken the other day and my attention was drawn to the sticker that said it has 149 kcal per 100 grams. The question is how they managed to count calories of chicken since it has not only meat but some inedible parts like bones. Does this figure of 149 kcal include only edible part of the chicken or both edible and inedible.

The same question bothers me when it comes to fruits that have bones within it like peaches or peel like bananas.
That is a good question, I don't know.

I do know that the food is ground up and mixed with a flammable glycerin mix. It is then incinerated and the resulting amount of heat is mathematically translated into calories.

I would assume that only the edible parts are counted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 5,535,356 times
Reputation: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
I see a problems here. Edibility is a matter of taste. Some dogs eat bones, some people don't eat skin, and so on.
There are some things, though, that you can't get energy or nutritional value out of (digest) even if you ate them, and wouldn't give you any calories. They'd just pass through your system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Oopsland
631 posts, read 770,481 times
Reputation: 585
The same question bothers me relating to bananas. Here is what is written in the Wiki:
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz):
Energy:371 kJ (89 kcal)


I wonder if I should distract the weight of peel when consider these 89 kcal per 100 g.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Oopsland
631 posts, read 770,481 times
Reputation: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
There are some things, though, that you can't get energy or nutritional value out of (digest) even if you ate them, and wouldn't give you any calories. They'd just pass through your system.
Dogs and cats can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Reputation: 52030
If the inedible parts don't get eaten, their calorie count -- if they have calories at all -- don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Oopsland
631 posts, read 770,481 times
Reputation: 585
You don't eat it but it does matter. Do I have to explain why? I take it as yes. Say you have bought a package of bananas that states two things:
1) The weight of the package is 500 grams.
2) The nutrition value is 100 kcal per 100 grams.

The question is how many calories will you get if you eat the whole package? I suppose the weight of peel consists around 20 percent of whole banana. So, there are two ways of counting it:
1) 5 x 100 = 500 kcal.
2) 4 x 100 = 400 kcal.

It is just ridiculous how many people do their best to count the exact amount of calories they have every day and yet they donít even know how to count calories properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,695 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Reputation: 27747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Dogs and cats can.
I'm not a dog, nor am I a cat.

If I wanted to know or guess the number of calories in the flesh of an average banana, I would weigh the fruit peel on, peel off on a home scale a number of times and draw my own conclusions. Not every banana in a bunch is the same size. Peels can vary in thickness; is there a little or a lot of stem attached?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top