U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes, even though Whole Foods has some expensive products it still has plenty of affordable products or at the very least a decently good amount of it. 17 43.59%
No, Whole Foods has so many expensive products and not enough affordable cheaper options. 20 51.28%
I don't know/Undecided. 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:14 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times

Advertisements

I am a bit surprised when I encounter some people saying that Whole Foods is so expensive, and not affordable.

I disagree with that because I think Whole Foods still has plenty of affordable cheaper products, and that someone can still frequently go to Whole Foods while being on a budget. Plenty of times I am able to go to Whole Foods while being on a rather tight budget.

Also, Whole Foods has such high quality varied products so of course some of that will be more expensive for it to contain the high quality. Whole Foods is so much better and has much healthier more varied products compared to most other supermarkets.

I will list some affordable cheap products Whole Foods has right now:

Basil Pesto Pasta: $3
Pizza Supreme with Pepperoni/Sausage/Bell peppers/Onions: $5
Basil Fried Rice: $4
Beef Red curry with vegetables and brown rice: $5.50
Pad thai (in small portions but still): $2
Spicy Szechuan noodles (in small portions but still): $2
Chana Masala/Lemon Rice: $5.50.
Burrito: $1.70.
Another type of Burrito: $3.50.
Macaroni and cheese: Only $1.
Eggs 6 to 12: $3 to 5.
Many different types of Cereal in big portions: $2 to 5
Many different types of bagels such as Poppy Seed/Sesame seed bagels: Only $1 each.
Bagel+ with plenty of cheese: $4.50.
A 2 to 4 day supply of Orange juice/half of 1 gallon: $4
A 2 to 4 supply of Milk/half of 1 gallon: $4
Onions:$1.50.
Apple:80 cents per apple.
Potatoes: $5 for a dozen potatoes which means around 50 cents per potato.

I could probably mention at least 20 other similar affordable options.

Overall, Whole Foods is one of my favorite supermarkets, it is awesome, impressive, inspiring, and I enjoy all the variety of high quality products it contains.

However, I also enjoy some other supermarkets stores too that I go to sometimes such as Trader Joes, and some very local independent supermarkets.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-14-2012 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,656,746 times
I shop Whole Foods for items that aren't available anywhere else. For example, I love sesame seaweed rice crackers, and no other grocery store carries them. WF also has black bean tofu, which I don't find in other grocery stores in the area.

But many things that WF carries are also sold at other area grocery stores. I always buy Pacific veggie broth or mushroom broth, but I don't buy it at WF. The local Kroger stores carry the same brand, and their regular price is better than WF sale price. I see no reason to pay higher prices just to purchase at WF.

Our Kroger stores carry a really nice assortment of vegan food items at good prices. I know that in some parts of the country that might not be the case and people would have to shop WF for those items.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,332,937 times
Whole Foods sells grass-fed beef and pastured eggs and butter and is in walking distance of my house, so I couldn't care less about the prices of the 99 percent of items I don't buy there.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,838,411 times
I love Whole Foods, but it can be very expensive. I think it would be too expensive for many people struggling to feed their families to be able to regularly shop there. I've found some really good prices on some things there, with items sometimes even cheaper than Walmart, but in general it's pretty expensive.

I shop there occasionally, but it's not near me. If I'm in the part of town where Whole Foods is, then I will shop there, but I rarely make a special trip for it. Just recently Sunflower Market opened a store near my house, so I will probably be shopping there more than Whole Foods.

After looking over the OP's prices, a few stood out to me, which I do not consider cheap. A couple were the price for milk and eggs. $4 for 1/2 gallon is not cheap. I can buy a whole gallon for just over $3 and in many families, a gallon will only last a day or so. When both my 2 kids where home, we easily went through about 4-5 gallons a week. And as far as eggs go, I can buy 12 for well under $2 and even the supposedly better for you Egglands Best are only about $2.50. I don't know what kind of potatoes are being sold for $5, but my local store has 5 pounds of red potatoes or butter golds for $2.50 or 5 pounds of organic russet potatoes for $4. I can get Vidalia onions for $.79 a pound.

I would definitely say that Whole Foods really services a niche market.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,314,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I am a bit surprised when I encounter some people saying that Whole Foods is so expensive, and not affordable.

I disagree with that because I think Whole Foods still has plenty of affordable cheaper products, and that someone can still frequently go to Whole Foods while being on a budget. Plenty of times I am able to go to Whole Foods while being on a rather tight budget.

Also, Whole Foods has such high quality varied products so of course some of that will be more expensive for it to contain the high quality. Whole Foods is so much better and has much healthier more varied products compared to most other supermarkets.

I will list some affordable cheap products Whole Foods has right now:

Basil Pesto Pasta: $3
Pizza Supreme with Pepperoni/Sausage/Bell peppers/Onions: $5
Basil Fried Rice: $4
Beef Red curry with vegetables and brown rice: $5.50
Pad thai (in small portions but still): $2
Spicy Szechuan noodles (in small portions but still): $2
Chana Masala/Lemon Rice: $5.50.
Burrito: $1.70.
Another type of Burrito: $3.50.
Macaroni and cheese: Only $1.
Eggs 6 to 12: $3 to 5.
Many different types of Cereal in big portions: $2 to 5
Many different types of bagels such as Poppy Seed/Sesame seed bagels: Only $1 each.
Bagel+ with plenty of cheese: $4.50.
A 2 to 4 day supply of Orange juice/half of 1 gallon: $4
A 2 to 4 supply of Milk/half of 1 gallon: $4
Onions:$1.50.
Apple:80 cents per apple.
Potatoes: $5 for a dozen potatoes which means around 50 cents per potato.

I could probably mention at least 20 other similar affordable options.

Overall, Whole Foods is one of my favorite supermarkets, it is awesome, impressive, inspiring, and I enjoy all the variety of high quality products it contains.

However, I also enjoy some other supermarkets stores too that I go to sometimes such as Trader Joes, and some very local independent supermarkets.
Why spend money at Whole Foods when you don't even cook You just eat frozen foods. Come on, this isn't a healthy shopping list. And if you are going to eat frozen foods, they can be bought for much cheaper elsewhere.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,511,480 times
Wf is ok I dont really shop there though, I don't see the need.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM

15,812 posts, read 4,930,121 times
I have always found Whole Foods' cereal and bulk product prices to be quite reasonable. I refill my Quaker Oats boxes with bulk rolled oats at about half the cost of the name brand. The bargains are there, but you have to look for them.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Price per ounce is what determines value. I would suspect Whole Foods loses across the board when that comparison is calculated.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 PM

72,663 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Whole Foods is expensive because most of the food is organic. But even their non-organic fresh veggies are expensive, sometimes the same price as their organic veggies.

I don't eat most of what's on the OP's list, but in my region, there's Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocer, where everything is cheaper than at Whole Foods.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Boyfriend and I had a little picnic the other day and picked up our food from Whole Foods. Don't remember the individual costs but 4 bottled drinks, some fried chicken, two things of pre-cut fruit, a hummus/tabouli sampler, and pita chips added up to $40.

There are less expensive items, but the expensive ones outweigh them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or