Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Tuna steak in a cast iron skillet on the grill. (I have been banned from cooking fish inside) Just heat up the cast iron skillet, add olive oil, place the tuna steak on the skillet, season with black pepper and oregano, rosemary pinch of lemon juice, sear for about 2 or 3 minutes, and flip for a few minutes then serve.
I like to make a sauce to go along with it My favorite is to cook down mango with rum, brown sugar, and cinnamon BUT raspberry, when available, cooks down to a good sauce as well.
I don't get why you would do that to tuna. I think you're losing the charring and flavor from grilling that way. Everything from salmon's texture and consistency and up should just be placed directly on the grate. All you have to do is rub olive oil on the fillet or steak and/or the grate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I don't get why you would do that to tuna. I think you're losing the charring and flavor from grilling that way. Everything from salmon's texture and consistency and up should just be placed directly on the grate. All you have to do is rub olive oil on the fillet or steak and/or the grate.

THIS! If you are putting the fish on foil or in a skillet, you might as well cook it inside. And the basket gets a little bit of smoke, but you loose the searing effect of the grill. As mentioned above, oil the fish and/or grill. In addition, get it GOOD AND HOT before you put the fish down, and make sure it is very clean before oiling.

Put your fish FLESH-SIDE down first, cook it long enough to set a good sear into it. Leave it alone, and let it go long enough. Figure total cooking time of 10 minutes per inch of thickness for "cooked through" fish, less if you want some opaqueness left in (recommended for tuna, salmon, and others).

Here is a trick that will really help you. When you finally go to flip your fish, turn your spatula upside down. The angle of approach works better, and you are less likely to destroy your fish. Just slide it in there carefully, separating the fish from the grill.

Grilled fish is one of God's gifts to foodies. Don't ruin it by pan-frying on a grill and thinking that you've done anything more than pan-frying.

(If you are worried about oiling your grates, you can either take an old rag, coat it in cooking oil and rub it on the grates using long tongs, or you can even take a piece of beef fat (throw away from a butcher) and rub it on the grill. Either way, do it just before the fish goes on, and be sure the grill is HOT and CLEAN before doing so.)

Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Depends on the fish. Salmon I grill directly on the grill skin side down, season with a little butter. Tuna steaks the same way. Trout, I wrap the entire fish (gutted of course) in foil, season with butter and lemon pepper. Catfish, I coat with corn meal and fry.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:30 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
It depends upon the fish for me, too.

If it's a steak like halibut or salmon, or small like shrimp, I use a wire BBQ basket. If it's more delicate and filleted, like tilapia, flounder, etc., I put it into a foil tent and poke a few small holes in the foil.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:01 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post

Put your fish FLESH-SIDE down first, cook it long enough to set a good sear into it. Leave it alone, and let it go long enough. Figure total cooking time of 10 minutes per inch of thickness for "cooked through" fish, less if you want some opaqueness left in (recommended for tuna, salmon, and others).
Oh, and if you are cooking a fish with skin (salmon fillet, for example), leave the skin on. Flesh side down first, then flip it, so the skin is down. When fully cooked, the fish will peel right off the skin, leaving a nice, clean fillet for your plate. Likely the skin will stick on the grill, and the flesh will pull right off.

Don't get frustrated if the tricks in both of my posts don't work the first time. They are easy, but take a little practice.

(Same with Trout. Butterfly the entire, de-boned fish. Flesh side down till it's 'set', then flip, then pull off the grill when done. With trout, the skin comes off with the fish (because it's not thick like salmon).

Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
ON a grill that may work, but on a campffire, camping out we sometimes have no grill, but we do have campfire, and that cast iron skillet cooks everything from sauage and eggs for breakfast to fish for dinner. (The cast iron dutch oven makes desserts like peach cobblerr and biscuits as well)
I have gotten into using the cast iron so often, that even on a grill, I heat it up and sear food on it. I use it indoors too for just about everything. I have a nice set of cast irons that cook most things.
I rarely cook steak, as we eat very little red meat, but i do cook it on a grill when I do.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:07 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
I sit my fish down and start with small talk...just to get friendly. Once I gain their trust, I start with the harder questions. If they seem hesitant to answer, I bring in the lighter fluid, the matches and charcoal to scare them a little with that.

And that's how I grill my fish.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:53 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
what if you like like the skin on the salmon? How do you prevent the skin from sticking to the grill even after you oil the grill grates??? I just bought fresh salmon today and want to grill it tomorrow night.My husband likes the skin and he likes his salmon rare in the middle. Up till now I have cooked the salmon in a fry pan. Never did it on the grill, I have only done shrimp on the grill.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Default How do you "flip" your fish without is falling apart on the grill?

I've recently started grilling my fish on the outside grill.

I cannot seem to turn it over without it falling apart. Do you use non stick foil, fish basket? Do you spray anything on the basket or foil?

Since I monitor my calories, It's important the each piece stays in tact so I can know how much I am eating.

Thanks,
Ron-"The Frustrated Fish Flipper"

Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I use a grill basket spayed with cooking spray. If cooking a thick tuna steak or something like that I just put it right on the well oiled grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink