Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:09 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,371,193 times

Advertisements

I use the baskets-had to much fish fall through the grate on the grill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I've recently started grilling my fish on the outside grill.

I cannot seem to turn it over without it falling apart. Do you use non stick foil, fish basket? Do you spray anything on the basket or foil?

Since I monitor my calories, It's important the each piece stays in tact so I can know how much I am eating.

Thanks,
Ron-"The Frustrated Fish Flipper"
some fish do not grill well because of exactly what you are saying. The filets usually are a bit to thin to flip easily plus they cook so fast it is easy to ruin them by drying them out. We do have a fish basket which you can order on line or check with any local store that sells a lot of bar b que products. If you use one and turn it very gently the fish isn't as inclined to fall apart.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do mine wrapped in foil with a little butter, lemon, salt, and pepper. I just did salmon tonight. Skin side down, 12 minutes, no need to turn it.
yep, that is another way. I think salmon is by far the best and easiest fish to grill, whether filets or steaks, but of course, I prefer Salmon Steaks. it is important for people to realize the butter is almost a necessity when grilling fish. You don't have to use a lot, but with none, even Salmon can come out dry.

Nita

Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 AM

17,027 posts, read 16,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If you don't have a basket, you can put foil over your grates....use a fork to punch a few holes... (that non-stick stuff is great!)...and just flip as usual!
That's what we do for the more delicate fish (like tilapia). Swordfish, tuna steaks, mahi mahi get brushed with olive oil and seasonings and go right on the grill.

Sometimes we wood smoke them. Really good.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:29 PM

5,585 posts, read 979,590 times
When fixing fish on the grill, I'd place it on foil, with a few holes poked through, baste the fish with either butter or vegetable oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That's what we do for the more delicate fish (like tilapia). Swordfish, tuna steaks, mahi mahi get brushed with olive oil and seasonings and go right on the grill.

Sometimes we wood smoke them. Really good.
What is the process you use when using the method of wood smoke in fixing fish? This way sounds good, since I like smoked fish, I've bought smoked fish but never fixed it like this. Or can anyone else fill me in on how they wood smoke their fish? Do you put the fish in a foil then wrap it up? or put the fish in a wire basket? Put the fish on tongs?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:39 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,253,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yep, that is another way. I think salmon is by far the best and easiest fish to grill, whether filets or steaks, but of course, I prefer Salmon Steaks. it is important for people to realize the butter is almost a necessity when grilling fish. You don't have to use a lot, but with none, even Salmon can come out dry.

Nita

I cook salmon steaks, I never use any butter, I end up with a pan full of salmon fat and the salmon melts in your mouth! I think you're overcooking it.

I cook mine quickly on a high heat so the skin crisps up but it's medium rare inside...eg still a teensy bit uncooked. It's perfectly safe (think sushi) and leaves it lovely and moist. It also keeps cooking a bit while it's on the plate so take it out of the pan just before it's cooked through...no butter needed and perfect, moist salmon.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I cook salmon steaks, I never use any butter, I end up with a pan full of salmon fat and the salmon melts in your mouth! I think you're overcooking it.

I cook mine quickly on a high heat so the skin crisps up but it's medium rare inside...eg still a teensy bit uncooked. It's perfectly safe (think sushi) and leaves it lovely and moist. It also keeps cooking a bit while it's on the plate so take it out of the pan just before it's cooked through...no butter needed and perfect, moist salmon.

sounds like a winner and a great way to keep the fat down. I was thinking more the fillets with the butter, especially when grilling. You are talking about cooking in a pan, which can be a little different. I do not use any butter or oil when cooking salmon on the stove...I might add a little soy sause or some other sause the last couple of minutes.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,862,931 times
Ron--if you're grilling tilapia, you don't need to flip it. It's thin enough it will cook through without flipping it at all. Here's how I do tilapia on the grill--Spray the fish basket, lay the tilapia in it, sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning. Then put chopped cilantro on top, then lime slices on top of the cilantro. A few minutes on the grill and you're all set. Squeeze some more lime juice on top if you like.
Easy and low calorie too!!!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Ron--if you're grilling tilapia, you don't need to flip it. It's thin enough it will cook through without flipping it at all. Here's how I do tilapia on the grill--Spray the fish basket, lay the tilapia in it, sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning. Then put chopped cilantro on top, then lime slices on top of the cilantro. A few minutes on the grill and you're all set. Squeeze some more lime juice on top if you like.
Easy and low calorie too!!!
sounds similar to what we are having tonight, but I am baking ours (only cause it is easier that starting the grill for just a couple of pieces). There is nothing as tasty in our view than lime and cilantro.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 PM

17,027 posts, read 16,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post

What is the process you use when using the method of wood smoke in fixing fish?
I'm not actually the grill master in our family - that's dh. But in general:

We usually presoak the wood chips and put them in a little metal smoker box and let that heat up/smoke in the grill before the fish is put on. Fish cooks pretty fast so you want the grill to be as smokey as possible when you put the fish on. You can place the fish in a basket or on tin foil with holes punched in it - I think dh elevates it a bit above the grate to slow down the cooking time a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink