U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:09 AM

11,213 posts, read 7,871,522 times
I made vegetable barley soup 3 weeks ago and froze it. I thawed it out and had some last night and it was terrible. I did not use any tomatoes in it. But something was off, it was bland and the barley was mushy. It was recipe I made up and I am usually pretty good with doing that, it was so awful we threw it out.There was garlic and onion in it, some salt, vegetables and red beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 AM

16,618 posts, read 19,298,425 times
I made creme brulee, and it never got solid. It was good custard soup, though.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 AM

981 posts, read 488,721 times
Nothing lately, because I stick with dishes that I know consistently come out well, but I've had some doozies.

Italian stuffed peppers with breadcrumbs; looked like a messy litter box. Very unappealing.
Curried avocado soup. Tasted to me like liverwurst.

The biggest fail had to be stuffed squid. I should know better than to try to cook something that I've never tried before. Ex-bf and I spent about four hours cleaning, de-beaking, and preparing these things. He accidentally dropped one on the floor, went to throw it out, and remarked that it looked like something else that was in the garbage can. I am not going to tell you what that something else was. But, when it was all done, the sauce was fine, the stuffing was fine - the squid just grossed me out. At least I got a good story out of it.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 PM

When we first lived in our house 9 years ago my mom gave me a bag of pepperidge farm stuffing, she said she had so many bags. I assumed it was like stove top, so I added butter, salt and water and made it like you would stove top. Needless to say it looked like soggy bread cubes. I had no Idea that you could put sausage, mushrooms, onions, celery because my mom always made the stuffing on Thanksgiving. Well after that my mom gave me her recipe and I plan to make it one day.I am a good cook so my husband was suprised at how it turned out.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 PM

16,618 posts, read 19,298,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
When we first lived in our house 9 years ago my mom gave me a bag of pepperidge farm stuffing, she said she had so many bags. I assumed it was like stove top, so I added butter, salt and water and made it like you would stove top. Needless to say it looked like soggy bread cubes. I had no Idea that you could put sausage, mushrooms, onions, celery because my mom always made the stuffing on Thanksgiving. Well after that my mom gave me her recipe and I plan to make it one day.I am a good cook so my husband was suprised at how it turned out.
Oh yum, that's the only kind I use.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:31 PM

4,043 posts, read 1,410,612 times
A couple of years ago I was determined to make some lowfat brownies. LOL at myself, what a contradiction the very term is. So, I tried using apple sauce but can't recall how I changed even that recipe suggestion.

It's been so long that I can't even remember what I did and just how gross they were, but I insulted chocolate that day and have apologized profusely by nibbling on some good, dark chcolate a good number of times but not having too much each time.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 AM

18,868 posts, read 15,117,900 times
Oddly enough....I made mashed potatoes and gravy...which I have done perfectly for years.....yesterday I got gloopy mashed potatoes...not fluffy....and this grey mystery gloop...not the creamy brown gravy I usually make....was it the solar eclipse?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM

14,455 posts, read 12,365,944 times
The last thing I made that didn't turn out was a dish I was making with some smelt. I remember taking my second bite and gagging and running to my balcony to spit it out and throw up.

I typically like everything that I cook, but this was so bad that I still think about it and feel sick and this was about 2 months ago

Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM

10,355 posts, read 11,049,105 times
Strawberry Smoothie..It tasted like butt so I threw it out. I'll continue to hit Smooth King from now on

Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Strawberry Smoothie..It tasted like butt so I threw it out. I'll continue to hit Smooth King from now on
LMFAO!!! that's very funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink