U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:20 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,621,674 times

Advertisements

I'm not on this forum a whole lot but I don't recall seeing this as a topic. I feel that this could be as controversial as the religion or political threads So, is it charcoal or gas guys and gals? I myself am a charcoal man. I don't care how busy I am, I find the time to light my charcoal and get the maximum flavor out of my meats!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 07:58 AM

746 posts, read 3,273,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm not on this forum a whole lot but I don't recall seeing this as a topic. I feel that this could be as controversial as the religion or political threads So, is it charcoal or gas guys and gals? I myself am a charcoal man. I don't care how busy I am, I find the time to light my charcoal and get the maximum flavor out of my meats!
You are not alone. Gas may be more convenient, faster and popular, but charcoal has better flavor. Sure it takes more time, is messier, but good food never comes easy, does it!

I like to add bits of hickory or other fragrant woods and dampened herbs to the coals to enhance the flavors a bit, too. The results with fake coals is less savory IMHO.

The fakery of gas and those ceramic briquettes lack the finesse of charcoal, and when I see people line everything with aluminum foil, I wonder why they bother.

I know it is controversial, my guests often have the temerity to ask why I don't get a gas unit, like I am cheap or something. They don't realize that it is a matter of taste, not ostentation, for me.

Some people have these gourmet ranges but only use the microwave or toaster oven on a regular basis. I'll take a battered old cast iron pan over an unused set of Caphalon any day.

And when I invite people over, you better believe they say "yes". If they find my food snobbery annoying, they sure don't say anything.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:02 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,771,582 times
You can't control the temperature on charcoal
It flares up worse than gas because there are no heat deflectors over the flame.
The duration of charcoal is short lived
I like to cook after work and it takes to long to get the coals ready to cook.

I hate cheap gas grills too but a good one that has a heavy grill and the ceremic bricks, oh thats nice.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:25 AM

1,408 posts, read 7,587,690 times
charcoal all the way! While it may take longer you can't be the taste. If you know what you're doing you can certainly control the temp of charcoal (moving them around, a little pile on one side, a high pile on the other). also you don't want the grill right on top of the charcoal you want it set high (at least that's how mine is, well actually it's dh's).

litlux, my cast iron pan is over 25 years old and is amazing to cook on. I wouldn't trade it for any of the fancy new stuff out today.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:27 AM

15,784 posts, read 28,917,284 times
Grew up with charcoal and use gas now. We have an electric smoker that is wonderful.

Not gonna argue this one; both gas and charcoal have pro's and con's.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:30 AM
rfb

1,987 posts, read 5,438,715 times
I have and use both. Gas is more convenient, but charcoal adds better flavor.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:13 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,120,645 times
For years I was a charcoal guy. Give me a Budweiser and my charcoal and I would cook.

Then, I broke down and purchased a gas grill. I'll never go back.

Flavor? I control the heat. I bought a grill that takes volcano rock, but I threw them away and went with ceramic. Nice even heat. But I'll throw 5 or 6 charcoal bricks on the ceramic. I'll also soak some apple wood, or mesquite, or hickory chips over night. I'll throw them in on top of the ceramic bricks along with those 5 or 6 charcoal bricks. Good smokey flavor and I control the heat so I can cook it long and slow. Meat just falls apart.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:20 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,771,582 times
Yes!...or you can buy a smoke box throw in what ever kind of seasoning wood you want and set that on the gas grill to get the wood smoke flavor you want.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:41 PM

52,773 posts, read 30,989,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Yes!...or you can buy a smoke box throw in what ever kind of seasoning wood you want and set that on the gas grill to get the wood smoke flavor you want.
I don't use charcoal or gas, I grill my steaks or poultry using mesquite, which is very plentiful here in the desert regions of Arizona. You can't beat that mesquite smoke flavor.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:17 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,889,006 times
I prefer charcoal but I just am not patient enough to mess with all of that. Right now I have a stainless-steel Weber Summit 6 burner propane grill, it's my baby. Most of my kitchen appliances such as the stove or oven rarely get used, I love to grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink