Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,506,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy~O View Post
Isn't this more of an opinion???
if it gets repeated enough times, some people will believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,959,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy~O View Post
Isn't this more of an opinion???
That's what I've learned from reading articles on nutrition as there is lots I still need to learn. Unfortunately, I grew up in a poor household where proper nutrition wasn't the norm and I'm trying to educate myself on how to change years of poor eating habits to healthy ones. It isn't easy then you have all these "health" experts being condescending when you are stating what you've learned. Sometimes the fight to eat healthy just makes me want to throw my hands up in the air and just say forget it! Not once can I find any advice that addresses the challenges of eating healthy when you have multiple jobs on a budget. Every time I stock up on healthy foods, I wind up throwing a lot of stuff out because they spoil fast. I don't really care for my own cooking and the last thing I like to do is eat the same leftovers all week long. When you are single, it's hard to prepare well-balanced, healthy meals without having tons of leftovers. I like my foods freshly prepared and cannot stomach leftovers beyond one day and won't eat it.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,910,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I did not realize that ham was healthy? Since when is pork considered healthy?

Nothing wrong with ham.

Like anything, moderation is key. The ham in a meal like this is small pieces, not a gorged meal of ham itself and it is far better than eating the fast food meals that are being discussed, or are you attempting to claim eating those fast food processed meals are the same as a bit of ham in the recipe I mentioned?.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:04 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,910,576 times
Quote:
Red meat isn't very healthy which is one of the reasons why I don't eat much of it. I have no issues with a little pork here and there but I would not even pretend that it is a healthy option.

Garbage. In fact, a healthy diet requires a certain amount of red meat in it.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
That's what I've learned from reading articles on nutrition as there is lots I still need to learn. Unfortunately, I grew up in a poor household where proper nutrition wasn't the norm and I'm trying to educate myself on how to change years of poor eating habits to healthy ones. It isn't easy then you have all these "health" experts being condescending when you are stating what you've learned. Sometimes the fight to eat healthy just makes me want to throw my hands up in the air and just say forget it! Not once can I find any advice that addresses the challenges of eating healthy when you have multiple jobs on a budget. Every time I stock up on healthy foods, I wind up throwing a lot of stuff out because they spoil fast. I don't really care for my own cooking and the last thing I like to do is eat the same leftovers all week long. When you are single, it's hard to prepare well-balanced, healthy meals without having tons of leftovers. I like my foods freshly prepared and cannot stomach leftovers beyond one day and won't eat it.
you are listening to people who need to complicate something that is very simple because nobody buys a 2 page book on nutrition.

you dont have to stock up on "healthy foods" or avoid anything. just limit your daily intake.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you are listening to people who need to complicate something that is very simple because nobody buys a 2 page book on nutrition.

you dont have to stock up on "healthy foods" or avoid anything. just limit your daily intake.
My issue isn't limited my daily intake, it's getting enough daily nutrients and eating more fresh versus processed foods. That's the battle I'm having.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
My issue isn't limited my daily intake, it's getting enough daily nutrients and eating more fresh versus processed foods. That's the battle I'm having.
those "nutrients" are overrated. there is no magic in fruit or vegetables. you really dont need to worry that you are getting enough unless you actually have found that you have a deficiency.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,161,135 times
An eight pack of hot dogs is what a couple bucks? 8 Buns add another dollar. Ramen 5/dollar. I haven't bought cheapo mac and cheese in awhile but its gotta still be about 3/dollar. A turkey pot pie is about a dollar too.

You'll get no argument from me on how good for you that stuff is, but I remain unconvinced that a meal of junk food is more expensive than a healthy one.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:41 PM

5,325 posts, read 8,498,491 times
I think a big factor in eating healthy, home-cooked meals on a regular basis is the planning aspect of it.

In order to eat this way on a regular basis, a person needs to

A. have access to a collection of recipes and the ability to evaluate them to know if they are going to taste good, be too-time consuming, etc.
B. have some cooking skills
C. have the cooking utensils, pans, etc.
D. have the spices, oils, and other regular ingredients commonly needed in most recipes
E. be able to think ahead for more than a couple of days- decide what they will want to eat and when
F. think about how to buy ingredients that can be used in multiple recipes before they go bad
G. be able to time the cooking of the perishables so that they are used before they go bad

I could go, but you get the point.

As someone who loves to cook, but at times, has been too busy/stressed out to do so, I realize that the list above can be a huge deterrent to regular at-home cooking even if I greatly desire to eat healthy home-cooked meals.

So..... for this reason, I am not one to judge the busy single parent, or the two-parent family with long commutes, or the person who takes public transportation....or those with other reasons that make it very challenging to regularly do all of the things on that list.

That being said, learning to cook at home can be done..... I think it becomes cheapest when one is regularly using up all the ingredients they buy and using up all the perishables before they expire.

I want to put a plug in for this awesome blog - I think this person has created an awesome collection of very user-friendly, not-super-expensive, and generally very tasty recipes. She prices out each of her recipes, so of course her costs are going to be based on the time she posted them and the region she lives in , but I think its helpful for people trying to think about the cost of the food they are cooking. And no, I am not the blogger. Budget Bytes

Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 PM

Every time I buy fresh foods to cook, they wind up not being used in time ... It's more cost-effective for me to buy the pre-packaged stuff than fresh foods ... I'm trying to eat healthier but have difficulties mustering up the energy to cook a well-balanced meal for one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink