U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 AM

4,640 posts, read 2,382,260 times
Default Gala apples bruised inside?

I had two Gala apples this week. Thought it was just a one time when I cut open my Gala apple the beginning of this week to see brown bruise marks in various spots. Then today, I cut open another Gala apple and see the same thing. Anyone else notice this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 AM

19,122 posts, read 11,157,692 times
You do realize those apples have been sitting in storage since last Fall if they are a USA product.

That is the flesh decomposing.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

20,116 posts, read 19,843,115 times
I also realized that we still have to buy the last year crop.
The apples right now are going bad really fast. Some are very soft, and many are brown inside.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:33 PM

2,393 posts, read 6,409,056 times
Not just Gala apples....ALL of them are "iffy" right now....yes...they have been in storage since last fall!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,344,202 times
Yes; storage and sometimes it's the sugar's beginning to rot away. And sometimes being in cold storage they have been subject to very cold temp's and have frozen.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 PM

3,482 posts, read 4,042,372 times
Cut the spots off, they'll be just fine.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 AM

4,640 posts, read 2,382,260 times
When I wrote the first post I should have said what looks like
brown streak marks throughout the inside. The outside was fine
and they did smell ok, I was just surprised by the inside because
I didn't recall the one I had sometime before looking quite like
that.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:21 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,872,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I had two Gala apples this week. Thought it was just a one time when I cut open my Gala apple the beginning of this week to see brown bruise marks in various spots. Then today, I cut open another Gala apple and see the same thing. Anyone else notice this?
Quote:
that.
There are a lot of bugs and caterpillars that can cause damage to the flesh of fruits like apples. You might see this more often with organic apples since many apple growers use a while arsenal of sprays to keep the pest numbers down. The most recent pest that has hit fruit growers is an imported and fast spreading stink bug. It cuts into the fruit to feed and sometimes leaves ugly scars but sometimes only a tiny blemish on the outside, but inside turns brown.

http://entomology.tfrec.wsu.edu/pear...kbug_apple.jpg

Apple Damage | Organic Management of Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

They have spread to all of the apple growing states and also are problems for all sorts of fruits and veggies. I don't think it will do any harm to eat but you can always cut out the parts that don't look good to you as asitshouldbe said.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM

12,777 posts, read 3,801,674 times
Quote:
that.
My apple tree produced apples with the same problem. I looked on the web, and it sounds like what they call brown rot. It does not mean they are old. I believe it's a bug. The tree is again loaded this year, hopefully it was a seasonal thing, or I'm going to have to do something. We don't use chemicals of any kind.
I too have bought them in the store that way, it's very disappointing, because you can't tell from the outside. I think we have better luck buying organic, but it's not a sure thing.
Safeway will cut one open for you, if you ask, before you buy.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

20,116 posts, read 19,843,115 times
It is disappointing, because fruit is not cheap, and what you get is already rotting from the inside.
I agree some fruit, especially peaches are stored in super cold. They feel almost frozen. Sure not good for the fruit flesh. If the temperature is too low the produce will be damaged, and also as soon as the produce leaves the cold store, deterioration starts again and often at a faster rate.

Links about fruit disorders:
http://www.hortnet.co.nz/publication...ts/hfinall.htm
http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/wvufarm8.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink