Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 07:51 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times

Advertisements

With the E-Coli outbreak just wondering if anyone is afraid of eating fresh spinach once this is all resolved?

I have to admit I'm a little bit weary myself .
I love fresh spinach,don't care much for cooked spinach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 07:54 AM

502 posts, read 2,295,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
With the E-Coli outbreak just wondering if anyone is afraid of eating fresh spinach once this is all resolved?

mystree, Even before the e-coli outbreak, I've always been afraid of Spinach !

Old 09-20-2006, 04:35 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post

Not me. I love spinach and I don't get very concerned about these sorts of things.
Funny enough, a week before the news broke I actually bought and cooked two bags of organic spinach - it was on sale cheaper than the regular kind. I think it was the organic stuff that was the culprit, right?

Old 09-20-2006, 04:53 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
mystree, Even before the e-coli outbreak, I've always been afraid of Spinach !
I'm with you, sister! Blech! Keep your hateful old green vegetables and give me something that has been deep-fried!

Old 09-20-2006, 05:54 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Default What's Left to Eat???

Beef: Mad Cow disease
Poultry: Upcoming Bird Flu
Spinach: e-coli

Have we exhausted all the food groups yet?

Old 09-20-2006, 05:55 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
We still have chocolate!

Old 09-20-2006, 06:00 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Ugh... I could have told anyone who asked, and I've claimed it for years!, but Spinach is not only nasty, it's snasty!! I think it belongs on a permanent banned list along with brussel sprouts (another major regurge factor), and peas. How anyone can down a brussel sprout... those round little acrid balls of ick, or...live through a mouthful of peas... is beyond me. I learned early on as a baby to automatically projectile vomit any one of these three and my parents finally learned, despite trying to force me to eat them, that the kitchen would be covered in personal eww-blech if they forced me! Eventually they stopped

Old 09-20-2006, 06:00 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Default Yesss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
We still have chocolate!
Yeah....that is a food group I forgot about!

Or does chocolate have us???

Old 09-20-2006, 06:09 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Ugh... I could have told anyone who asked, and I've claimed it for years!, but Spinach is not only nasty, it's snasty!! I think it belongs on a permanent banned list along with brussel sprouts (another major regurge factor), and peas. How anyone can down a brussel sprout... those round little acrid balls of ick, or...live through a mouthful of peas... is beyond me. I learned early on as a baby to automatically projectile vomit any one of these three and my parents finally learned, despite trying to force me to eat them, that the kitchen would be covered in personal eww-blech if they forced me! Eventually they stopped
Different folks etc...!
I find the taste of soda pop - every kind - absolutely nauseating. Doubly so if it's "diet," OMG that is nasty.
And yet I'd wager the vast majority of people in this country drink soda pop daily; something I could never understand but c'est la vie.
And hot dogs and bologne and just about any of those pink meat-type substances...even when I was a little kid you couldn't get me to eat those things and I'd rather not ever taste one again in my life.
But I've never met a vegetable I didn't like - even okra is OK if it's deep fried just right!

I wonder how much of taste is learned behaviour, and how much is hard-wired?

Old 09-20-2006, 06:19 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Default You're right travelling_paws!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelling_paws View Post
Different folks etc...!
I find the taste of soda pop - every kind - absolutely nauseating. Doubly so if it's "diet," OMG that is nasty.
And yet I'd wager the vast majority of people in this country drink soda pop daily; something I could never understand but c'est la vie.
And hot dogs and bologne and just about any of those pink meat-type substances...even when I was a little kid you couldn't get me to eat those things and I'd rather not ever taste one again in my life.
But I've never met a vegetable I didn't like - even okra is OK if it's deep fried just right!

I wonder how much of taste is learned behaviour, and how much is hard-wired?
I don't drink soda pop or fizzy drinks at all anymore, and I used to have all three major Coke varieties, Classic, Vanilla, and Cherry, in my refrigerator. Now I get ill drinking them and I avoid them. And you're absolutely right...diet drinks are the WORST! Most people don't know that aspertame turns into formic acid above 87F in your body (the same substance fireants use to kill their prey -correct me if I got that wrong!), or might have already converted into it in the can if it got heated in any way before purchase during transport, etc. Or that the aspertame is blamed for multiple schlerosis symptoms, headaches, and it collects in your retinas, fatty tissues on your hips and buttocks, makes you crave carbohydrates, and is poisonous! But I was doing my major grocery shopping early this afternoon as it's supposed to rain the next few days and I drive a basic Toyota truck so all groceries go in the back and I didn't want to drive them through the rain back to my house out in the country! But, that said, I love hotdogs, but when I bought regular ones last time, I barbecued them on the grill, melted cheddar on them, and nearly threw up. So today this time I bought Kosher hotdogs and hope they go down alright If anyone wants the BEST meatloaf recipe...let me know privately. I got one that's so good that everyone who's had it asks for more! I'm going to make more of it this weekend, but tomorrow I'm going to make potato cheese soup from scratch and cross my fingers it turns out alright!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink