Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,385,082 times

Advertisements

I use a leftover ham bone with lots of meat on it.

My mom uses a smoked turkey leg these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,140,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I really love split pea soup, but I have an issue with ham hocks.

Looking for ideas to use so that I end up with a good flavored soup, without the ham hock. I am not opposed to using meat in the soup, I just don't like ham hocks.

I would be using a recipe like this one: Budget Bytes: chunky split pea soup $4.75 recipe / $0.79 serving (by the way, I highly recommend this blog- really nicely formatted and great recipes!- no I am not the author!)
is your concern with using ham period or just ham hocks? I always use the left over ham bone with a little ham cut up in the soup. I first heat the bone in the crock pot for several hours, then pull off all the ham. I cook the peas until they are done, add a shredded potato, carrots (also shredded) a little bell pepper, the ham, and chopped onion. Just before serving I add a little lemon juice and some sherry wine. I don't think there is a better soup in the winter than split pea.....

If you really don't want the ham period you can use bacon or smoked pork, If this still doesn't satisfy you make the soup vegetarian style with no meat. It won't have the same flavor.

Nita

Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,219,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
I make my split pea soup using a leftover ham bone.
Whenever I cook a smoked half ham with the bone in I cut as much meat off as possible then freeze the remaining bone and whatever small pieces
of ham that are left...these get used to make my split pea or white bean
soup...makes a delicious pot of soup and wastes nothing...mmm good....
I agree with this.

Plus, if you'll just let a little skin cook in it and then remove it, it will add plenty of flavor and fat for the peas to taste great.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:18 PM

20,821 posts, read 28,146,353 times
I made spit pea soup for the first time today using my neighbors recipe ,however I used spam in it.It was great.

1 lb dry split peas
2 garlic cloves minced
1 can of spam diced
1 onion minced
2 medium carrtots peel and minced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 block of cream cheese (8oz)
2 cups chicken broth
2 cup water

Take the spam out of the can and dice, heat a fry pan and cook until spam gets nicely browned and crisp on the edges. puree spam until it becomes smooth. Add chicken broth, water, peas and spam to a big pot and bring to a boil. simmer 1 hour. In a food processor combine carrots, onion and garlic and pulse until it make a paste. after 1 hour add the veggies. Cook 1 more hour and add cream cheese at the end and stir until it melts. Transfer soup in 2 batches into food processor and puree until smooth. I did not think I would like the spam in it but it gave the soup a great flavor and my husband really enjoyed it. The spam was my idea since that is what I had. My neighbor says she has done it with spam, bacon, canned ham, ham hocks and even canadian bacon.someone gave us a can of spam and I decided to try it in this soup, I myself have never tried spam before. The consistency was not as thick as hers or my MIL's but if you like it thicker use less liquid.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:11 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,179,967 times
I make mine with flanken and serve red horseradish to eat with the flanken at the end.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:07 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,073,069 times
Last time I made it, I used a combination of chopped bacon, turkey smoked ham, and smoked sausage cut in small pieces - I sauted all togther and then added it to the soup. It was tasty.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,981,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
I make my split pea soup using a leftover ham bone.
Whenever I cook a smoked half ham with the bone in I cut as much meat off as possible then freeze the remaining bone and whatever small pieces
of ham that are left...these get used to make my split pea or white bean
soup...makes a delicious pot of soup and wastes nothing...mmm good....
Same here. Nothing flavors like a ham bone!

Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 AM

175 posts, read 364,166 times
I don't flavor it with smoked anything. I just make it with peas, onions, salt and pepper.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,519,210 times
Hambone with a fair amount of ham and fat
2# split peas
2 big onions, chopped
1# carrots or more
many garlic cloves, say a couple bulbs' worth
basil, fresh or dried
dash or two of Tabasco
milk or cream
water, 6 quarts or more at higher elevations
Bay Leaf
salt
pepper

Saute the onion in ham fat until soft but do not brown. Then add all of the other ingredients except the milk/cream and garlic. Go easy on the basil and Tabasco; you can always add more. Simmer for six hours or so partially covered until you like the viscosity. I prefer the carrots to remain intact but you can puree it if you wish.

Ladle out enough very hot soup into a heated bowl for the meal. Then and only then add the garlic; wait five minutes. Add milk or cream to taste.

Sourdough bread with lots of butter goes well with this soup.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM

20,821 posts, read 28,146,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I made spit pea soup for the first time today using my neighbors recipe ,however I used spam in it.It was great.

1 lb dry split peas
2 garlic cloves minced
1 can of spam diced
1 onion minced
2 medium carrtots peel and minced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 block of cream cheese (8oz)
2 cups chicken broth
2 cup water

Take the spam out of the can and dice, heat a fry pan and cook until spam gets nicely browned and crisp on the edges. puree spam until it becomes smooth. Add chicken broth, water, peas and spam to a big pot and bring to a boil. simmer 1 hour. In a food processor combine carrots, onion and garlic and pulse until it make a paste. after 1 hour add the veggies. Cook 1 more hour and add cream cheese at the end and stir until it melts. Transfer soup in 2 batches into food processor and puree until smooth. I did not think I would like the spam in it but it gave the soup a great flavor and my husband really enjoyed it. The spam was my idea since that is what I had. My neighbor says she has done it with spam, bacon, canned ham, ham hocks and even canadian bacon.someone gave us a can of spam and I decided to try it in this soup, I myself have never tried spam before. The consistency was not as thick as hers or my MIL's but if you like it thicker use less liquid.
Today I had yellow spilt peas so I decided to do this in the crockpot. I put carrots, onions, garlic, split peas, 2 bay leaf,8 slices of bacon that I cooked first. added4 cups water. I simmered everything on high for 4 hrs. Then at the end I added cream cheese and some grated parmesan cheese and used my immersion blender. The house smells great and the soup tasted good. I think less liquid next time because mine does not come out as thick has my MIL's. I am told it thickens as it cools though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink