U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,542,974 times

Advertisements

I find that I sometimes get stuck in a rut of making the same foods in a cycle. Almost every meal we eat includes at least one of the following: peppers/onions/chicken/mushrooms/rice

I'm trying to make an effort to try new recipes from my many, many cook books. This week I tried beef strips marinated in an orange marmalade and soy sauce mixture. Unfortunately I forgot I don't like spicy things.

Do you feel you keep returning to the same basic set of food? How often do you try something new? Do you have cookbooks that you've never actually cooked from?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM

5,120 posts, read 12,725,202 times
I think everyone has their own, basic menu....stuff they know they like and can make easily! We more often try "new things" when we're out and about...not so much at home. If we find something that we really fancy, then I'll get the recipe or figure it out and start putting it on our menu (assuming it turned out ok!!).
Yes...I have lots of cookbooks that never get opened! I don't usually use a cookbook for most things, anyhow!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:54 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,688,588 times
I try a new recipe maybe 2 times per month. Last month was my first try at a texas style oven roasted brisket and it was a big hit.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:56 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,113,396 times
As often as I can!!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:01 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,763,789 times
I have created hundreds of recipes, but I do that also. Try opening up a cookbook at random and making the first recipe you see!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM

34,581 posts, read 42,741,316 times
I feel I am in a rut, too. I have dozens of cookbooks, but now that I work away from home, I don't have as much chance to experiment. We also used to entertain a lot, and when we did I would make some awesome things. But now, I don't really know anyone here. Other than family, we've only had one dinner party in two years.
Now we usually have steak, pork chops, or chicken breasts, potato, and a veg or salad, or pasta every night.
When I worked at home, I liked to watch the Food Channel, see what they were making that day, pick something and go shopping for the ingredients. Then I would make it for dinner. This was BIG fun to me. LOL
I still buy cookbooks, but I'm not sure why. I just bought a Back In The Day cookbook. A charming read. Will I ever make something out of it? Don't know.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,811,221 times
We definitely have our go to menus at my house. And it can feel like we are in a bit of a rut at times.

But I've been trying (and inventing) quite a few new recipes lately. Sometimes I'll make a dish that I've never tried before or haven't had in a long time. Many times I'll make an old stand by dish but instead of using a prepared bbq sauce, I'll make one from scratch. Or instead of buying cole slaw, I'll make it myself, etc.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM

877 posts, read 2,356,513 times
Yeah like most I have my standard dishes but do add try new ones about twice per month. I no longer use cook books but rather blogs. Pioneerwoman.com is by far my favorite and the one I have get new recipes from. Youtube is also good. Another fantastic one is budgetbytes.com. I often improvise somewhat to adapt to my tastes but so much info on the web. Normally if I see a piece of meat on sale that I like, I just buy it then use the internet to find a suitable recipe if I don't have one.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:47 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,688,588 times
someone here gave me a homemade BBQ sauce recipe a month ago and I have never looked back at buying bottled stuff. I make homedade BBQ sauce at least 1 every 2 weeks. I get in a rut at times too because I have certain dishes that are my favorite. Check out some of my recipes I posted and maybe you can try something new.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:56 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,612,294 times
I usually buy what is in season and on sale, so I take a look in the fridge and cook accordingly. I look at a few blogs like Pioneer Woman, Tasty Kitchen and Smitten kitchen and magazines like Food and Wine for inspiration, but don't really use recipes. There are a few staples that get repeated, but there is usually some sort of variation on the last time it was made. Breakfast and lunch are pretty much the same rotation of foods for me so dinner needs to have some excitement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink