U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 PM

3,489 posts, read 4,371,235 times
Default Brown bananas are healthier.

Who Knew??

According to Japanese Scientific Research, a full ripe banana with dark patches on yellow skin, produces a substance called TNF (Tumor Necrosis Factor) which has the ability to combat abnormal cells. The darker patches it has, the higher the immunity enhancement quality; Hence, the riper the banana the better the anti-cancer quality.
Yellow skin banana with dark spots on it is 8x more effective in enhancing the property of white blood cells than green skin version.
Eating 1-2 banana/s a day increases immunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,510,155 times
Bananas with brown spots are for sure sweeter.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

21,010 posts, read 22,187,467 times
Ripe bananas have a taste. The still green ones taste like cardboard. One more reason to let the bananas get really ripe at home! Thank you for the info, asitshouldbe!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,510,155 times
Yep, many people think that bananas where the peel is turning brown are spoiled...they're not, they're ripe. The banana inside is still fine (if the inside is discolored or changing in consistency in a bad way, then, no, obviously)...but darkening peel is a sign of the banana becoming fully ripe. Lots of people are used to eating underripe bananas. I have a coworker who will only eat bananas if they are still green.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 PM

To think of all the bananas I've thrown out for being brown.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

21,010 posts, read 22,187,467 times
Did you??? Because they were soft? or brown? or just taste funny??

Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Soft and gooey they went in the trash, unless I made banana bread.
Now I freeze them for smoothies.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM

3,991 posts, read 3,163,804 times
I don't care for the mooshy gooshy texture of ripe bananas.

I admit it, I am a green banana eater. There are lots of us around. When I eat breakfast at the hotel continental breakfast the green ones always get chosen first. If I get there too late the only bananas left are the ripe-ish ones.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 PM

4,318 posts, read 1,428,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I don't care for the mooshy gooshy texture of ripe bananas.

I admit it, I am a green banana eater. There are lots of us around. When I eat breakfast at the hotel continental breakfast the green ones always get chosen first. If I get there too late the only bananas left are the ripe-ish ones.
Me too. I just can't eat those ripe soft mushy bananas. They are great to cook with but I cannot eat them plain. When I buy them, I get the greenest ones I can find. I eat them during the week as they ripen. That way, I never have to throw any away.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM

706 posts, read 774,369 times
When they are so brown they are no longer "nice" to eat, put them in the freezer. Get them out when you're having something Mexican like beans and rice, and just warm them up on the side. Or get them back out and quickly thaw them to spread on a piece of toast with peanut butter. Or, on a hot summer day, get it out of the freezer and eat it like a popsicle or a frozen smoothie. Or throw it in the blender to make a real smoothie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink