Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Rice cooker also frees up a burner for the other stuff I am making.
This is a good point too. And I like the portability of it as well, I can easily take it to work to cook lunch or to to any location for a potluck meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:12 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
You can substitute turkey or chicken broth for the water to make your rice have a different taste.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:13 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
To me, rice (like pasta) is merely a vehicle for a sauce. Add a sauce you like, and you will like your rice. I don't eat rice or pasta because they don't play nice with my PCOS.

I make a Thai peanut curry chicken with stir-fried veggies that the carb-eaters will eat over rice. I eat it without and don't miss the rice at all.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
^^^ Does anyone know what "PCOS" is?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
polycystic ovarian syndrome

Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Has the op tried adding wild rice or nuts to brown rice?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
A fairly common endocrine disorder affecting women.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Sorry, I should have provided at least a link. PCOS is an insulin resistance disorer, basically. So those of us who have it should not eat much in the way of starches and sugars.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
Brown Basmati for me, I always cook more than I need, and then use it for other things like the Fried Rice that DandJ described. I put a little bit of meat in mine sometimes, like leftover steak/chicken/pork, or I'll just chop and fry up a slice or two of Bacon, or Andullie Sausage along with the other stuff.

Garlic, a bit of Tumeric, salt and "spices" in the water is good too.

One thing though, I've never understood the fascination with Rice cookers. It is almost impossible (for me) to screw up rice. Main point is just to get the water to rice ratio correct, and your timing. I am not trying to brag, but I make perfect rice in a sauce pot every single time. I don't understand why people are so gung-ho about the cookers?

I do think brown rice is somewhat of an aquired taste. The Basmati has a wonderful nutty flavor that is very unique and oh-so-good. But once I've grown used to brown (any form of brown) I really have a hard time wanting white.

EDIT> I see my question was already asked and answered, sorry for that. :-)
To OP, also try Quinoa if you are trying to introduce healthy grains into your diet.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Brown Basmati for me, I always cook more than I need, and then use it for other things like the Fried Rice that DandJ described. I put a little bit of meat in mine sometimes, like leftover steak/chicken/pork, or I'll just chop and fry up a slice or two of Bacon, or Andullie Sausage along with the other stuff.

Garlic, a bit of Tumeric, salt and "spices" in the water is good too.

One thing though, I've never understood the fascination with Rice cookers. It is almost impossible (for me) to screw up rice. Main point is just to get the water to rice ratio correct, and your timing. I am not trying to brag, but I make perfect rice in a sauce pot every single time. I don't understand why people are so gung-ho about the cookers?

I do think brown rice is somewhat of an aquired taste. The Basmati has a wonderful nutty flavor that is very unique and oh-so-good. But once I've grown used to brown (any form of brown) I really have a hard time wanting white.

EDIT> I see my question was already asked and answered, sorry for that. :-)
To OP, also try Quinoa if you are trying to introduce healthy grains into your diet.
You just reminded me, by specifying "Brown Basmati," that we always have "Brown Jasmine" rice. Maybe the OP would find either one of those more flavorful than the one that he's currently eating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink