Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:26 PM

849 posts, read 1,946,361 times

Advertisements

Here in Phoenix area I can find them at Asian markets. They are very inexpensive. I can get a big bag of dried quick cooking boba for aroud $5.00. A bag of those BIG strows are like .99cets. I like mie with Thai iced tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,222,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
Here in Phoenix area I can find them at Asian markets. They are very inexpensive. I can get a big bag of dried quick cooking boba for aroud $5.00. A bag of those BIG strows are like .99cets. I like mie with Thai iced tea.
i'm oh phx, too!! i like to go to the asian market on 202/44th st.

how do you cook the boba? i always thouhgt you had to have a pressure cooker and mine broke.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:57 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,935,509 times
I have tried it here in NC, I have had the honeydew, cantaloupe, and cherry, I am still not used to the tapioca balls...lol...so I sip carefully and leave some of them...has a gummy bear/worm consistency...not sure if gummy bear/worms are made the same way...

Old 10-24-2008, 10:00 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,723,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I found a post on craigslist about bubble tea and it got me thinking about the wonder CD posters! Anybody try this stuff before? The first time I ever had it was in the early 90's when its popularity made its way to Houston. LOVED IT. Then I went to Taiwan for a summer during college and had "real" bubble tea and now the ones in the States just don't compare but alas, I guess I'll just have to settle!

If anybody's ever had it, do you like it? When DH tried it the first time (he's white) he wasn't impressed but he warmed up to it and probably likes it more than I do now. If you ever get the chance to try it, be adventurous! I've seen them at the Virgin Record Stores, though they are not that good there but bubble tea stores are popping up everwhere. Give it a go!

All about bubble tea: Bubble tea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Bubble tea finally came to Minnesota. I tasted it first in Vancouver, BC in 2001. At first it didn't appeal to me that much but I liked chewing the pearls and now I really like it! Favorite is coconut - like a shake.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:14 AM

my favorite is taro!

Old 10-25-2008, 01:14 PM

849 posts, read 1,946,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
i'm oh phx, too!! i like to go to the asian market on 202/44th st.

how do you cook the boba? i always thouhgt you had to have a pressure cooker and mine broke.
Check the bag. I buy one that says "quick cooking" or something like that. It cooks in 5 minutes in boiling water. Very easy.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:28 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,898,133 times
Yeah I tried it in Taiwan-delicious stuff. I also like the other cold milk tea you can find in street stands over there.

I don't think there's any here in South Carolina but if I find a place I'll drive there immediately!

Old 07-06-2015, 10:57 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,163,519 times
Hey guys - bumping an older thread because I recently got interested in bubble teas when I had then while on vacation in Portland, Oregon. Excellent!

So, I would like to start making them for myself. To those who make bubble tea, what do you use as ingredients? My only criticism of the bubble teas that I had was that they were too sweet, so I don't want to add too much sugar to them.

I have looked online for some recipes, but wanted to see what others used - since I'm guessing there are some fans of the Bubble tea on this thread.

Also, does anyone know which store(s) in the U.S. sell the Tapioca balls? Those are the licorice-like jelly balls that are at the bottom of bubble teas.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2015, 12:02 AM

Wow this is a really old thread!

I tried making the tapioca balls only once and it didn't turn out great. For some reason the balls would not soften. This was years ago (probably around the time of the original post)! I recall my friend saying something about using a pressure cooker might be better. Don't quote me on that.

Chinese/Asian/International grocery stores would be your best bet in finding the tapioca pearls. Maybe World Market. I've never seen them there but I've never looked for them there either. I have, however, seen some pretty obscure stuff so that's why I mentioned it. Otherwise, online is your best bet. I searched "tapioca pearls" on Amazon and found them.

Also, I don't want to alarm you and I believe truly everything in moderation is fine but you may want to Google "bubble tea and cancer". It could all be blown out of proportion but I just felt like I should share the info. I live in an area now where bubble tea is hard to find so it's a treat for me anyway.

I agree, the drinks from the stores are definitely too sweet. You can make your own milk tea to control the amount of sugar you put in the drink. You can also find Thai tea online or in ethnic grocery stores - prepackaged and you just add hot water ... and the pearls of course! I don't have any homemade recipes though. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2015, 05:13 AM

43,341 posts, read 44,052,401 times
I have tried bubble tea in Mainland China and it was okay. But a colleague of mine got sick from it as it turns out that she is lactaid intolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink