Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,809,426 times

Advertisements

I have always used pure vanilla extract. Lately it seems like there are more brands of imitation vanilla available now than real vanilla. Last time I really had to search the shelves to find the vanilla extract because there are so many brands and sizes of imitation vanilla.

Maybe it is becoming more popular because real vanilla has gone up in price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,254,679 times
If you belong to Costco or BJ's, they have McCormick's pure vanilla extract. Sam's Club probably has the same. At Costco, it is under the Kirkland brand, but it is McCormick's. The prices are very reasonable (I think it's now about 9.99), and you get the 16 oz bottles.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM

45,010 posts, read 59,991,288 times
Imitation Vanilla?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
I actually used imatation for years. Then I got the real stuff from Mexico. I still have a bottle of faux vanilla, but think I will through it out.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,809,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
If you belong to Costco or BJ's, they have McCormick's pure vanilla extract. Sam's Club probably has the same. At Costco, it is under the Kirkland brand, but it is McCormick's. The prices are very reasonable (I think it's now about 9.99), and you get the 16 oz bottles.
I usually get my vanilla extract at Sam's. I ran out and had to grab some at the grocery store, and I was surprised to see the amount of imitation vanilla on the shelves.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,721,892 times
I only use the real stuff. I try to always have good Mexican vanilla on hand.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 AM

20,855 posts, read 28,185,423 times
I always use the real stuff too

Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,075,735 times
I use the real stuff but I have some imitation on the shelf just because....a long time ago I read on a website that you can rub vanilla on your arms and neck to keep the bugs off while outside. One day I used the imitation vanilla before going outside and it kept the bugs from landing on me....so now I use imitation vanilla as I don't want to use bug spray on my body with DEET in it. Now I use it all the time for bugs and the real stuff when cooking.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,254,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I use the real stuff but I have some imitation on the shelf just because....a long time ago I read on a website that you can rub vanilla on your arms and neck to keep the bugs off while outside. One day I used the imitation vanilla before going outside and it kept the bugs from landing on me....so now I use imitation vanilla as I don't want to use bug spray on my body with DEET in it. Now I use it all the time for bugs and the real stuff when cooking.
I did not know this, but how nice not to smell like insecticide.

I have also gotten excellent vanilla in the liquor stores in Mexico--excellent vanilla and great prices.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,887,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Funny story: For a while, I used to use vanilla extract (I don't remember if it was real or imitation) as perfume. A little dab on each wrist, a few little dabs on the neck.

One day, I was in a store, in line at checkout, and there were two women in front of me. One kept sniffing -- I thought she had allergies. Then she turned to her friend and said, "I smell cookies. Do you have cookies in your purse?"

'Twas me. I smelled like cookies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink