Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

We have an old friend coming down from NY this weekend...I'm so excited! Whenever we used to get together, we always went the home-cooked Italian or steak on the grill route. Keep in mind that food for us NY Italians is a social thing and that we'll probably be hanging out all day/night reminiscing over cold beers, so we'll also be foraging.

Soooo, now that I'm a "southern girl", I figured I'd impress our guest with a nice southern meal. The centerpiece will be TampaKaren's pulled pork, along with sides of baked beans, coleslaw, corn-on-the-cob and mac & cheese. For dessert I'm making 5-cup fruit salad, chocolate pound cake and Key Lime pie.

The only thing that I'm stuck on is appetizers/picking foods. I'm leaning towards rock shrimp hushpuppies, but I cannot think of something else that would be appropriate (and easy). Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
If you really want a southern appetizer, how about fried gator tenders, lol. How about deviled eggs, or spinach dip in a bread bowl?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
If you really want a southern appetizer, how about fried gator tenders, lol. How about deviled eggs, or spinach dip in a bread bowl?
all classics, and how about jalepeno poppers with ranch dipping sauce? I personally love gator, with honey mustard sauce!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:58 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
Besides the usual veggies and dip, you could do bacon wrapped scallops or artichokes, they are always a hit. Or one of those herb cheese spread, with crackers....or baked brie with some chutney on top??? Or shrimp with cocktail sauce, nothing is easier and so tasty!!

I'm not from the South, so don't know traditional southern foods for appetizers....

Oh yeah, my mom always makes something called polish roses ..... scallion that is wrapped with cream cheese and corned beef....good finger food!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 PM

we do a similar thing here in the south, ham or turkey with herbed cream cheese, and a scallion or steamed asparagus in the middle, yum!
another southern thing would be steamed shrimp with cocktail sauce, you wont go to a cocktail party in the south without that!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Besides the deviled eggs and cocktail shrimp you could do stuffed jalapeno's - stuffed w/ a great cheese mixture (or a shrimp if you use large peppers), wrapped w/ bacon and coated w/ a lil brown sugar . Or stuffed shrimp - a sliver of a jalapeno. Bacon wrapped shrimp and then grilled is also good but that requires cooking just before serving and not really to nibble on all day. Chips and hot sauce would ALWAYS be an option as would chips and queso.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
Thanks guys, you've solved it for me. I can't go wrong with shrimp cocktail. I would love to try deviled eggs, but my egg peeling skills are the pits. My eggs always look like they had really bad acne when I'm done with them! What's the secret?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:20 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Grilled Prosciutto-Wrapped Shrimp, Appetizer Recipe, Shrimp Recipe

this looks yummy, like a tapas thing, can be eaten hot or cold

Old 03-26-2008, 08:20 PM

I always peel them in water, something about it makes peeling easier, but I still get stubborn ones sometimes. I always boil a few extra, and eat the stubborn ones!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Thanks guys, you've solved it for me. I can't go wrong with shrimp cocktail. I would love to try deviled eggs, but my egg peeling skills are the pits. My eggs always look like they had really bad acne when I'm done with them! What's the secret?
Don't let them cool down, as soon as they are done cooking I run them under cold water and peel. The longer the shell stays on the harder to peel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink