Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Candied grasshopper. Raw horse meat. A fish that was still alive while we tore bits of its body off with chopsticks. Ths was all in Japan.

That's not sashimi. That's Mister Ed.

This video will give you nightmares. If you love animals...don't click this. In fact, if you can't handle seeing some serious fish cruelty, don't click this. This is pretty much exactly how ours looked like. You pick a fish from a tank, and a few minutes later, you're eating it ..... while it's still moving.

The Japanese girls is saying "Chotto Kowai" which means, "I'm a little scared."

Live Sashimi - YouTube
They serve live sushi at some restaurants in Chicago. IMHO that is just sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Armadillo. Tricked into taking a bit of a barbecued armadillo sandwich in Texas years ago. I thought it was beef or pork--once I tasted it, I knew something was very, very wrong.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Just in case you ever change your mind Mooseketeer I found the recipe for you.

Peach & Mayonnaise Salad

No. 2 can peach halves
¼ cup chopped nuts
½ cup sliced Pascal celery
½ cup chopped dates
â…“ cup mayonnaise
Crisp lettuce

Chill peaches in can. When preparing salad, drain peaches. (Juice may be used in a fruit juice beverage or as part of the liquid in a fruit gelatin dessert.) Mix chopped nuts, celry and dates with mayonnaise. Place a spoonful of this mixture in center of each peach half. Serve on crisp lettuce. 5 servings.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
Just in case you ever change your mind Mooseketeer I found the recipe for you.

Peach & Mayonnaise Salad

No. 2 can peach halves
¼ cup chopped nuts
½ cup sliced Pascal celery
½ cup chopped dates
â…“ cup mayonnaise
Crisp lettuce

Chill peaches in can. When preparing salad, drain peaches. (Juice may be used in a fruit juice beverage or as part of the liquid in a fruit gelatin dessert.) Mix chopped nuts, celry and dates with mayonnaise. Place a spoonful of this mixture in center of each peach half. Serve on crisp lettuce. 5 servings.
Darling I am touched but you shouldn't have !! Really.... What did those peaches ever do to anyone to deserve such callous treatment ?!?!

That "Gravy" photo made me feel a little queasy ! Gravy ? I think not.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
You've obviously never had REAL string cheese. It's simply dry mozzarella. Nothing plastic or fake about it.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Too many weird foods have passed my lips to list them all, most of them actually pretty tasty though.

Hakarl- Rotten Shark Absolutely vile. Never again until I really do need it to stave off starvation
Rotten Ram's testicles - Same as above - I don't drink Booze but both of the two last ones could turn me to drink. I think I would need some pretty strong spirits to try these again. In fact I would have to be so pickled I did not care anymore....

Tree rat, monkey, insects, snakes, armadillo, anteater, snakes, grubs, ostrich, kangaroo, zebra, springbok, hippo, crocodile, antelope, turtle,moose,elk, reindeer, name it and if it was offered to me I ate it...

Fresh Cow's blood in Kenya , A little Clotty but actually quite nice once you got used to it.
Seal Blubber - Horrid
Seal Liver - Quite nice
Seal Intestines - Horrid
Cow's foot served still with the hair on it - Horrid

Marmot in Mongolia. Tough, chewy and really not my cup of tea. Almost impossible to swallow, the gag reflex stopping you from ingesting what tastes like sinews and string and tastes like sweaty feet. Would certainly give it a miss next time

Horse meat which I know is considered odd by many people but still common in many countries. A good Horse fillet tastes like the most tender beef you have ever had.

Common to me but odd to other people I would say Wild Boar , Hare, Rabbit,and Venison which I simply adore and Game Birds like Pheasant, Partridge. etc.....

And finally very odd to me but not perhaps to others :

Peach and Mayonnaise salad in the US - Really weird and not very nice at all
Marshmallows - Why would anyone want to eat rubbery over sweet little pillows of foam?
Treacle - Yuk, Yuk and Yuk again
Jellies of any kind
Starfruit, Chinese Gooseberries and Kiwi- The most pointless fruits in the Universe IMO -
Rhubarb - Stringy and Bitter. Not my favourite combination
Super sweet desserts and candy- Horrid, makes my face pucker just thinking about it
"Brown Sauce" a devilish concoction in the UK which is about as appealing as it sounds
Marmite/Vegimite - Why would any human being with tastebuds like those ?
String cheese - "Plastic" cheese - Why not have real cheese instead ?
"Plastic" white sliced bread
Step aside Jim9251, I'm pretty sure that Moosketeer [who very well may be Anthony Bourdain's Daddy] has you beat!

As for me:
Uni (Sea Urchin in a Sushi bar) was probably the nastiest.
Menudo (with Pig intestines/chitterlings) runs a close second.

other than that, toungue, cheek, head, and other "parts" are all good. In fact, I will go out of my way to order them. I'll try anything once, and have found very few foods that I really would not eat.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:36 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Puffer fish. And, obviously it didn't kill me, but I had to try it once (and never again).
It really isn't any food to write home about.
Also, raw fish eyes.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:38 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
I'm still wondering why anyone would eat green things out of a cow's intestine...
of course I guess that's better than eating the BROWN things in a cow's intestine!!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
I tried Cricket Tacos last year in Chicago. They weren't bad. Kind of nutty/crunchy tasting.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM

242 posts, read 465,378 times
In equatorial Africa, at a village wing-ding, I was served, and ate, barbequed Monkey. It wasn't bad at all. Yup....I did go back for seconds. Even though the "Barbeque" sauce was palm oil based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink