U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2012, 11:28 AM

1,436 posts, read 718,281 times
My parents....rest their souls, would tell that story all the time. Be happy you didnt have to walk 12 miles uphill in the snow,.with cardboard in your shoes, she would say. So we used to joke with them all the time. They would have been 83 and 85 this year.. sorry you took offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 12:47 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,969,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Well, for starters...

Tripe, pickled and slimy - there was always a jar of it in the refrigerator.
Souse.
Scrapple - my grandmother fried up a huge pan of it every morning for my dad (no wonder he had two heart attacks). I was forced to choke it down for breakfast before school in the winter. I guess she forgot kids didn't have to hike 12 miles to a one room coal heated school house in the '60's.
Limburger cheese.
I also remember my dad putting milk on jello.
Oh god. Milk on Jello is killing me.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I'll grab one from time to time. We rarely even get them, but when we do and if I am hungry for just a snack I will eat one. It is almost like eating balogna. (spelling)
jrsysrl51, as mentioned rice, sugar and cream or milk is almost exactly the same as rice pudding. We ate it as kids all the time. I don't anymore. As for butter on everything, I use it on a lot, but not liverworst...
When I mentioned the rice, milk and sugar thing, I believed it was a Depression era staple. It sounds as if alot of you confirmed that. The butter on everything, I believe was because they ate something called oleo. Once butter was available again, she never used oleo.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 AM

11,198 posts, read 7,818,235 times
My grandmother on my dad's side always used margarine never butter. That stuff tasted like plastic and never melted on toast LOL. Luckily my mom's parents loved to use butter. My mom puts butter on everything, crackers, breadsticks, bread, pound cake, Irish soda bread. I love butter too but I limit my consumption these days.She even likes eating plain pieces of butter.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My grandmother on my dad's side always used margarine never butter. That stuff tasted like plastic and never melted on toast LOL. Luckily my mom's parents loved to use butter. My mom puts butter on everything, crackers, breadsticks, bread, pound cake, Irish soda bread. I love butter too but I limit my consumption these days.She even likes eating plain pieces of butter.
Being from an Irish family, we were big tea drinkers. Its funny what you remember....my mom used to sit with me when I was young and we would have tea in porcelain cups with graham crackers with butter and jelly. I would do anything just to be sitting at our kitchen table having tea with them!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:22 AM

7,211 posts, read 7,899,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Oh god. Milk on Jello is killing me.
My father did that too.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 AM

287 posts, read 338,184 times
Mom was pretty normal. Dad had some interesting sandwiches. Peanut butter and sardine, peanut butter and tomato, peanut butter and pickle, and peanut butter and butter (please pass the coronary blockage..). I also recall coming home from elementary school one day and finding a giant cow's tongue on the kitchen counter, which my Mom planned to make for dinner, at Dad's request. Thank God, she made spaghetti for us kids that night, and for herself as well. ACK!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 AM

17,393 posts, read 14,577,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
I don't think ....liver...is that wierd. ( I'm not crazy about it,though )

I still see it featured on menus as a "special" one night of the week at a truck stop/cafe near my former residence.
Liver and onions continues to be a menu staple at my hometown's longtime, 24-hour diner.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind15 View Post
Mom was pretty normal. Dad had some interesting sandwiches. Peanut butter and sardine, peanut butter and tomato, peanut butter and pickle, and peanut butter and butter (please pass the coronary blockage..). I also recall coming home from elementary school one day and finding a giant cow's tongue on the kitchen counter, which my Mom planned to make for dinner, at Dad's request. Thank God, she made spaghetti for us kids that night, and for herself as well. ACK!
Omg!!!! That peanut butter and sardine, tomato,.etc makes me want to hurl!!!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 12:55 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,113,396 times
My parents and grandparents ate anything and everything. Much of it wildly disgusting.

Let me begin - pig feet, raw clams and oysters, raw chopped meat with salt pepper and Worcestershire sauce, sardines, chicken innards (boiled with salt and pepper) snails, lobster, (no thanks) and calf brains.

Why people with money would eat such crap is beyond me.

I totally understand eating chitlins for example if that's all you have but I will never understand the weird crap my parents and grandparents ate.

YUK!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink