Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
You guys reminded me of that, too. My dad loved drinking buttermilk. Probably still does.
Fried green tomatos, any one? (I'm originally from Georgia.) Hog mawl with vinegar. I like it. It's very expensive now for some reason. Like ham hocks. Mmmmm ham hocks cooked in collard greens, then some white (yeah, white) vinegar poured on 'em.
You betcha!!!! Fried green tomatoes are a summer staple at my house - a plate piled high, with a glass of iced tea. I quadruple dip them before frying - milk and egg, then flour seasoned with curry powder, then milk and egg again, then a mixture of corn meal and bread crumbs. Sometimes I'll fry up a batch of zucchini fritters to go with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Or plain noodles, too, with butter, is popular.

We serve that on the ala carte line once a week at the jr./sr. high school cafeteria where I work, and it is very popular with the kids. Just the standard bow tie noodles, covered with melted margarine and seasoned with parsley flakes and garlic salt. We make several pans of it, and it's usually gone before the last lunch. A bowl costs 80 cents. Some kids will buy 2 or 3 bowls of it at a time.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
My mother in law used to make wiltef lettuce. We ate it warm. Pennsylvannia Dutch I think. I liked it.

It sure is Pennsylvania Dutch! Great over fresh endive. Fry the bacon, remove, then add egg, sugar, a little flour, and vinegar to the grease and simmer until thick. Crumble the bacon and mix it in. Ach, zo gut!!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 AM

76 posts, read 79,686 times
I grew up poor but we never went hugry. Often times we did without things that would be considered staples today. Usually we didn't have sweet stuff laying around to be picked up if we had a sweet tooth. My mother would sometimes crave "something sweet" and would mix dark Karo syrup with peanut butter and spread on bread or saltines. Karo was something we nearly always had. It must have been cheap= it certainly was sweet. My father would mix it into cottage cheese, not a very pretty sight but he ate it with gusto. At Christmas time my father would order candy in bulk and we would get our fill.
Those white creme filled chocolate drops were one of his favorites. He taught me to smash them between two saltines, like a little sandwich. They weren't as sickeningly sweet that way, as the saltiness of the cracker counteracted the sweetness.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:43 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We serve that on the ala carte line once a week at the jr./sr. high school cafeteria where I work, and it is very popular with the kids. Just the standard bow tie noodles, covered with melted margarine and seasoned with parsley flakes and garlic salt. We make several pans of it, and it's usually gone before the last lunch. A bowl costs 80 cents. Some kids will buy 2 or 3 bowls of it at a time.
In my school cafeteria we never served pasta that way. Usually red meat sauce or plain red sauce. I am sure the kids would have loved it served the other way. They can buy 3 bowls at a time??? In our school the limit is a double lunch they cannot buy triple. Not sure why. There are about 1,575 kids that attend the HS I work in. You know I have some bowtie pasta that I am going to make tomorrow at have lots of butter on it. I am craving it now LOL

Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
You betcha!!!! Fried green tomatoes are a summer staple at my house - a plate piled high, with a glass of iced tea. I quadruple dip them before frying - milk and egg, then flour seasoned with curry powder, then milk and egg again, then a mixture of corn meal and bread crumbs. Sometimes I'll fry up a batch of zucchini fritters to go with them.
think I will try it with the curry powder next time, which will most like be anyday. I have so many tomatoes they are crowding the counter tops, fridge, the table on the screened in porch and still have them on the vines like crazy. Because of the heat we will not get any more blossoms so what we have now will be the last, but it will be a few more weeks before they are all gone.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:17 AM

777 posts, read 1,336,769 times
I dunno about "weird," but i can say they ate some gross stuff. Such as: liver sandwiches. and pigs feet.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
I dunno about "weird," but i can say they ate some gross stuff. Such as: liver sandwiches. and pigs feet.
We ate a lot of liver and onions and liverwurst but never liver sandwhiches. Mom and dad loved pigs feet, I never tried one and will not.....

Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Pickled herring yuck!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Pickled herring yuck!
My grandmother insisted we eat that at midnight on NYE for good luck. However, hers was creamed. Yuck is right. My Dad and Mom loved liverwurst. Me too, though I have not had it in at least 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink