Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times

Advertisements

My dad eats peanut butter, mayo and dill pickle sandwiches. I've seen him throw a banana on top of that as well.

He also puts ketchup on almost everything. All meats, pastas, and one thing he loves to do is to put gravy on bread, then top it with ketchup. I can't even stand to watch him eat most of the time, it's so gross. About the only thing I can think of he doesn't put it on is corn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
My mom used to crumble cornbread into a glass of milk and eat the soggy mess with a spoon. Used to literally make me gag!

And my great-uncle used to put a piece of delicious homemade cherry pie in a bowl and pour milk over it.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Ok, you got me strolling down memory lane here...

Mom ate onion sandwiches - just onion and bread, she would put coffee grounds in a bowl and dab her finger into them then bite on grounds while she was reading, usually...anything burnt - toast, meat, popcorn, etc... she would only drink clear drinks like 7-up or Fresca because of potential critters being bottled in the stuff at the plant, crackers or bread in a bowl then pour milk on it (urf-gag)....
Dad liked head cheese, pickled eggs, he did the salt on raw potatoes too (it ain't half bad!!), cottage cheese covered in black pepper or ketchup.
I am sure there are more and I am pretty sure this is why I am so persnickety when it comes to food. There are still tons of stuff I will never eat because of the way I saw them eat.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
I also grew up eating crushed crackers in milk.

Lets see. My parents ate:

Peanuts in Coke
Cornbread in milk (sweet milk and buttermilk)
Hog head cheese and crackers
Ketchup and rice

Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times
My dad said he would dip french fries into strawberry shakes. I've heard about some of the older people from my church who would get a ball of raw hamburger for a snack. When I worked at a restaurant I saw some of the old people put American cheese on to a slice of apple pie.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
My husbands dad used like Uneeda biscuits crumbled up in coffee. He would eat it with a spoon then drink the rest.
In our house my mom would buy a variety of cereals and of course all of them would be opened. My dad liked to mix 3 different cereals in an extra large bowl with milk. one combo he tried was frosted flakes, cheerios and grapenuts all in one bowl.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
My mom is southern, and was raised on such delicacies as pickled pigs' feet, fried bologna, peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwiches. She also likes what she always called "a salt and pepper sandwich," which was bread spread with a thin layer of mayo, salted and peppered.

My dad's favorite things are split between things he learned how to make when cooking breakfast in the college cafeteria as work study (eggs, bacon, and other grill breakfast stuff), and tinned food like the MREs he ate in the military (sardines, Spam, potted meat).

Old 06-26-2012, 11:36 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
My dad said he would dip french fries into strawberry shakes. I've heard about some of the older people from my church who would get a ball of raw hamburger for a snack. When I worked at a restaurant I saw some of the old people put American cheese on to a slice of apple pie.

I know lots of people (including me) that will dip french fries into shakes. My personal choice would be a chocolate shake, however.

My grandparents did the American cheese on apple pie thing. Nasty!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
When I worked at a restaurant I saw some of the old people put American cheese on to a slice of apple pie.
Cheddar cheese topping warm apple pie is great, not sure about processed cheese food, though.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
My mom would concoct the most bizarre sandwiches ever. They almost always included peanut butter and mayonnaise with additions like sardines, hot pickled peppers/cauliflower and similar items. GACK!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink