U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 PM

69,163 posts, read 79,301,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
DH likes something his mother used to make for him - egg gravy. Gravied up scrambled eggs served over toast. I tried to make it for him once when he was sick and I cheated - I just poured some jarred chicken gravy over the scrambled eggs. I know that is not how she makes it, because she is vegetarian. Either way, I think it is gross.

I could write a chapter of some of the unusual things my mother-in-law cooks. She's a good cook, and innovative with being a vegetarian, but DH advised me never to ask what was in it. She makes something called "Depression Cake" with no butter, or sugar, or eggs - not really sure what's left to put in it. It's kind of...flat. Her cakes and pies are usually "health" oriented - no eggs, milk, shortening, sugar, or chocolate - unless you count carob as chocolate, which I don't,
We used to have something similar, mom called in creamed eggs on toast, but she boiled the eggs, made a white sause and chopped or sliced the eggs into the sause. Because she was raised Roman Catholic we pretty much stuck with meatless Fridays. This was one of her dinners. As we got older and balked at stuff like that she switched more to fish or mac and cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 02:20 PM

76 posts, read 57,955 times
My mother in law made bologna gravy. I actually liked it. but her kids didn't. It was a milk gravy sort of like sausage gravy except she cut up bologna chunks and fried them a little instead of sausage. She made a vinegar pie once that she and I ate too as her kids didn't want any part of it.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:20 PM

6,209 posts, read 7,381,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
DH likes something his mother used to make for him - egg gravy. Gravied up scrambled eggs served over toast. I tried to make it for him once when he was sick and I cheated - I just poured some jarred chicken gravy over the scrambled eggs. I know that is not how she makes it, because she is vegetarian. Either way, I think it is gross.

I could write a chapter of some of the unusual things my mother-in-law cooks. She's a good cook, and innovative with being a vegetarian, but DH advised me never to ask what was in it. She makes something called "Depression Cake" with no butter, or sugar, or eggs - not really sure what's left to put in it. It's kind of...flat. Her cakes and pies are usually "health" oriented - no eggs, milk, shortening, sugar, or chocolate - unless you count carob as chocolate, which I don't. She does make a carob pecan pie that sounds "weird", but is DELICIOUS.
She called it Depression Cake because that was the name of it. I've made it on days when I didn't have all the ingredients necessary to make a "real" cake. I have to tell you, it ain't half bad. Little ice cream, little chocolate (or caramel) topping and life is good.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 AM

6,209 posts, read 7,381,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
When I was a kid in Philadelphia, I used to eat a Campbell's soup called Philadelphia Pepper Pot. Haven't seen it in years. But I later learned that it was tripe soup. It was speecy spicey and I loved it. On cold winter days, I often wish I could get my hands on a can of that yummy stuff.
For years, I thought that our local (northeastern PA) grocery stores just didn't carry the Pepper Pot soup from Campbell's. Sadly, I learned today that Campbell discontinued making it and so it's no longer available. Looks like I'll have to suck it up, go buy me some tripe and make it myself.

It does have quite an interesting historical note, though, since it's purported that the Continental army under Genl. Washington was suffering through the harsh winter and when the general ordered the cooks to make pepper pot soup, the men were so rejuvenated that they went on to defeat the Red Coats. Thought you'd like to know.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 AM

5,318 posts, read 7,643,106 times
My great aunt used to make a depression -era recipe called Mock Apple Pie. It had no apples or fruit at all, but used Ritz crackers for the filling.

She baked it for me a couple of times just for fun, and it really did taste like apple pie.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 AM

14,273 posts, read 12,538,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
My great aunt used to make a depression -era recipe called Mock Apple Pie. It had no apples or fruit at all, but used Ritz crackers for the filling.

She baked it for me a couple of times just for fun, and it really did taste like apple pie.
I remember that pie!

RITZ Mock Apple Pie recipe

Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 AM

6,117 posts, read 5,139,350 times
How about a "milk tart"? "Slop Johnny" is what my grandmother called it. It was milk, vanilla, egg, and sugar baked in a pie crust. Wasn't really a custard, just a pie with a plain, semi-runny filling. She usually made it with leftover pie dough from her other baking.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM

5,318 posts, read 7,643,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I remember that pie!

RITZ Mock Apple Pie recipe

Very similar to my great aunt's recipe, however, she used home made pie crust rather than refrigerated.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
For years, I thought that our local (northeastern PA) grocery stores just didn't carry the Pepper Pot soup from Campbell's. Sadly, I learned today that Campbell discontinued making it and so it's no longer available. Looks like I'll have to suck it up, go buy me some tripe and make it myself.

It does have quite an interesting historical note, though, since it's purported that the Continental army under Genl. Washington was suffering through the harsh winter and when the general ordered the cooks to make pepper pot soup, the men were so rejuvenated that they went on to defeat the Red Coats. Thought you'd like to know.
As often as we had Campbells as a kid and as often as I bought it for my kids, I don't think I even remember Pepper Pot. Of course we pretty much consentrated on a few kinds: Tomato, chicken and noodles, Bacon and Bean plus Clam Crowder and the cream soups. I still use the cream soups for cooking, but we rarely use any other.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

You are right, we had a neighbor that made it a few times, amazingly it did taste like apple pie...I don't think I have even thought about it for 40 years or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink