Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times

Advertisements

^^That's disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,150,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
^^That's disgusting.
Try having to sit at the table with her doing that

Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 PM

Oh i can imagine...My grandmother was the worst cook EVER. Which is why I guess it never bothered my father that my mother couldn't cook, after all he didn't know any better! We HATED going to her house! She'd always insist on feeding us something...anything...whatever she could scrounge up. And I mean SCROUNGE! Cookies that had been in the jar so long you couldn't tell what they used to be...apples that had long turned to dried apple chips..
One time, she insisted we all stay for dinner. My parents were wise enough to spot the pressure cooker bubbling away on the stove, AND the box of "Shake 'n Bake" on the counter and got the heck out of there. Can you imagine??? Shake 'n Bake covered chicken in a PRESSURE COOKER!!??

Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Ew!!!!!!!!!!!

My mother used to make steak with vinegar poured all over it. It was THE nastiest thing. But to this day she insists it's the best and ONLY way to eat steak.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 PM

Wow! How weird! Where the heck did she get THAT idea???? Was she raised in the jungle or something??? You mean just plain white vinegar like you clean a coffee pot with??? Who would ever eat THAT?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Wow! How weird! Where the heck did she get THAT idea???? Was she raised in the jungle or something??? You mean just plain white vinegar like you clean a coffee pot with??? Who would ever eat THAT?
Yup.

No idea where she got it from, but was beyond disgusting, almost inedible because it just tasted so bad.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Did she eat nothing BUT weird stuff? How about her family? Did they all eat this way? I've seen some weird stuff in this thread, and others, but your mother's certainly take the cake so to speak.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My grandfather liked torn up cornbread in buttermilk
I don't remember the corn bread and buttermilk, but I do remember toast and milk or soda crackers and milk. YUK!!! As for the bacon grease, we still sometimes save ours. I don't use it often, but on a few things. I think most of us,over 60 grew up on bacon fat;;fried eggs, veggies, gravy, everything.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Bean with Bacon was my favorite soup growing up, I totally forgot about it, I need to get some.
As canned soups go, it is still my husbands favorite. He likes home made soup better, but he loves Bean and bacon.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Creamed Chipped Beef on toast, ($hit on a shingle, was what my dad called it -- he was a Marine)

New England Boiled dinners - cabbage potatoes and some meat - corned beef or something.

Liver and onions.

Toast and milk. In a cup mushed up together. Variations of this one come up a lot here - also Uneda biscuits mushed up with milk.

pickled herring in a jar, black German bread - really thin Pumpernickel bread that was very heavy (actually pretty good)
with a sliced red onion and butter, salt and pepper. Actually, that last one may sound weird but it's not bad.
I forgot about that bread and I rather like it.

sardine sandwiches ..with heads. Horseradish my Nana made it and gave it do us. Pickled mushrooms, cucumbers, peppers - pickled stuff.

Limberger cheese which stinks.

Norwegian pancakes. They are good.With sugar and berries.

Cottage cheese and ketchup.

My Grandmother made Depression Cake - a chocolate cake with no eggs made with vinegar. I still make that because it's vegan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink