Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I know! Our Don Pablo's in Langhorne PA was THRIVING, but they closed it down. If it was a company decision, then it was a bad one, and they sure picked the wrong branch to close. This place was always crowded--for restaurant, bar, and takeout.

Same with our Chevy's in Lawrenceville NJ. Always crowded for lunch and dinner, but closed anyway.
The one Don Pablo's left in the entire area happens to be very near my home. They are always packed in the evenings, especially on weekends, and even for lunch are very busy.

There are a lot of locally owned Mexican restaurants around that have really good food, but Don Pablo's is always busier than any of them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Maybe that's why I thought Tomy Roma's was awful when we ate at the one across the street from Disneyland a couple of years ago. Back in high school I thought it was a treat.
I think that is it exactly: we have gotten accustom to really good bar b cue; If you haven't had the real thing or when you are very young you often like things that are just so so. Even when it comes to wine, I used to think any wine was good, now I am much more particular about what kind and color I will drink..

Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
I just thought of another chain I used to love but think is gone or close to it. It was aregional chain in the mid Atlantic states: Ground Round. If I have a quarter for every $10 I spent at the one in Alexandria, Va, in the 80s I would be rich right now...

Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just thought of another chain I used to love but think is gone or close to it. It was aregional chain in the mid Atlantic states: Ground Round. If I have a quarter for every $10 I spent at the one in Alexandria, Va, in the 80s I would be rich right now...

Ground Round used to also be in Ohio.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
They probably had to close Ground Round due to suits from all those people with freaky peanut allergies. There were unlimited peanuts, and people used to throw shells on the floor!

I think that was the first place I'd ever had (or heard of) potato skins.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:59 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
Quote:
They probably had to close Ground Round due to suits from all those people with freaky peanut allergies. There were unlimited peanuts, and people used to throw shells on the floor!

Five Guys still has buckets of peanuts on the tables and people throw shells on the floor. I am surprised that they still do this, the other places that I know of that used to allow it don't anymore.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Yes, but Five Guys has 8,000 warning signs all over their store, inside and out, to warn about the deadly peanut. I don't remember Ground Round doing that, but that was back before the peanut allergy thing was invented.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and at one time Winky's was a major competitor to McDonald's. I don't think they ever expanded outside of Southwestern Pennsylvania. Their competitor to the big Mac was the Big Wink.

Winky's Hamburgers was a chain of hamburger fast food restaurants in and near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Their slogans were "Fast Food Cheap" and "Winky's Makes You Happy To be Hungry". Their signs advertised "Winky's Hamburger 15¢"; other sandwiches offered were The Big Wink, The Great One, and The Ground Rounder. Hot dogs also were on the menu. One of the television commercials for the chain featured a puppet monster reading a list of signs featuring the names of the towns where restaurants were located. Upon learning that there was no Winky's in Wilmerding, the monster ate the panel, exclaiming, "There's no Winky's in Wilmerding!"

The first Winky's restaurant opened in 1962, and the chain went out of business in 1982.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:

The Ground Round was started up by Howard Johnson in 1969. Like most franchises, it overexpanded and eventually closed about half of their stores and are mostly located in the East Coast and the Mid Atlantic states. They have been in bankruptcy court at least once.

Actually, the peanuts were discontinued NOT due to allergies but due to two fires in separate locations that were aggravated by the peanut shells.

Ground Round: Information from Answers.com

Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 PM

986 posts, read 1,665,774 times
Steak And Ale. Man they were delicious, I was really sad when they closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink