U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 AM

17,130 posts, read 12,502,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
They still have the original Sambo's location in Santa Barbara, CA. The chain really did have a racist name (originally it was "Little Black Sambo's") which was acceptable in the 20's through 50's but not so much these days.
Not true at all.

Sambos restaurant was founded in 1957 and the name was a combination of the names of the owners - it was not originally called "Little Black Sambos". They did later utilize that theme in conjuction with a popular children's story of that name, but they did not name the restaurant after the story, did not do it to be racist and the restaurant wasnt' around in the 20's through the 50's for it to be "acceptable" to be racist.

And they had darned good pancakes.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-02-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM

25,630 posts, read 32,569,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I prefer having the ladies standing behind the glass, wearing hair nets and gloves, serve my food than all the grubby hands people touching the tongs and food. Not to mention the unattended children touching everything on the buffet.
Who wouldn't?

But the reality is: Those "ladies" don't exist. And what "glass" are you talking about?

Spend a few hours in a commercial kitchen and see if that doesn't loosen your mindset against a buffet just a little.

Six of one and a half-dozen of the other. The food prepared in the kitchen is fresher, I'll give you that. A buffet on a slow night is not a good place to be.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM

4,005 posts, read 3,469,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not true at all.

Sambos restaurant was founded in 1957 and the name was a combination of the names of the owners - it was not originally called "Little Black Sambos". They did utilize that in conjuction with a popular children's story of that name, but they did not name the restaurant after the story, did not do it to be racist and the restaurant wasnt' around in the 20's through the 50's for it to be "acceptable" to be racist.

And they had darned good pancakes.
There was a Sambo's in Ft. Wayne back in the 60's, and it was decorated with tigers, trees and pictures of a small black child. They even had a Tiger Club for kids.

Before it closed down it was renamed Jolly Tiger and then something like Sam's Place. Now it is a Denny's.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:13 AM

20,420 posts, read 16,784,661 times
I always liked Red Lobster however our nearest one now is a 4 hour drive to Glenns Falls.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Who wouldn't?

But the reality is: Those "ladies" don't exist. And what "glass" are you talking about?

Spend a few hours in a commercial kitchen and see if that doesn't loosen your mindset against a buffet just a little.

Six of one and a half-dozen of the other. The food prepared in the kitchen is fresher, I'll give you that. A buffet on a slow night is not a good place to be.

The ladies in these types of cafeterias stand behind glass with the food on display, like on steam tables. The glass separates the customers in line from the ladies serving the food on to your plate. You walk along the outside of the glass and point out the food you want a serving of, like meat loaf, steak, mac and cheese, veggies, bread or corn bread, etc. You choose what items you want, the ladies serve it on to your tray and slide it down the line to the next lady and then after it passes the dessert lady she hands you the tray and you pay at the register.

These ladies exist - I have seen them. And they wear aprons, gloves and hair nets.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 AM

17,130 posts, read 12,502,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
There was a Sambo's in Ft. Wayne back in the 60's, and it was decorated with tigers, trees and pictures of a small black child. They even had a Tiger Club for kids.

Before it closed down it was renamed Jolly Tiger and then something like Sam's Place. Now it is a Denny's.

Yes - those murals depicted scenes from the Story of Little Black Sambo. An Indian children's story. Which the owners of Sambos utilized because it happened to match up with the name of their restaurant.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 AM

469 posts, read 174,568 times
I used to think the controversy over the name of "Sambo's" was responsible for the company's demise. I thought the NAACP filed a lawsuit against them and put them out of business. But from what I read on the Internet, I learned that wasn't the case. I remember two of them in Mississippi, one in Greenville and the other in Hattiesburg. The first one later became Season's and is now a Huddle House. The one in Hattiesburg stayed closed for many years, was reopened as a Beagle Bagel Cafe while I was a student at USM, then demolished some years after I left.

God bless,

CKB

Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 AM

565 posts, read 535,140 times
Picnic n' Chicken
Square Pan Pizza

Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 AM

There was a chain of restaurants in Indianapolis called Gay Dan's that began in the '50s. They were named for the "Gay 90's" but changed their name to Mr. Dan's in the '70's.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:56 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,257,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Someone mentioned "Ward's" as being defunct. They are still in business. As far as I know, they have always been a south Mississippi chain:

Wards Restaurants: Locations

They also make their own root beer!

God bless,

CKB

P.S. Here is a "master list" of defunct U.S. restaurant chains from Wikipedia:

Categoryefunct restaurant chains of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, that was me. But I also stated that there are still a few in the south. They just aren't as widespread as they were when I was younger.

Yep, a Big One and a root beer would hit the spot right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink