Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times

Advertisements

I miss Chi Chi's soooo much! The Chevy's in my area all closed down, too, but they aren't on the "defunct" list, so they must still exist somewhere. We also lost our Don Pablo's, so no chain mexican for me

I remember Rustler steakhouse, but we really didn't eat there so I don't really miss it. Ditto for Bob's Big Boy. Drove by, but rarely, if ever, went in. I'm pretty sure Howard Johnson's is still open, but I can't say I've ever gone in. Thought it was just a motel that maybe had breakfast for the guests.

We still have Roy Roger's but they are only in rest stops on the NJ and PA turnpikes, not in malls or free-standing stores anymore. We used to have Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips too, but I haven't seen one in years. But I see they do still exist somewhere.

I remember Sambo's was still around in the 70s when I was a kid. It was almost the same as Denny's.

We used to have Gino's, which sold burgers and fries, and also sold Kentucky Fried Chicken. In my region, the Gino's all closed down due to a "rat hair" rumor, but then a whole bunch of Kentucky Fried Chicken places opened (later renamed KFC of course, since "fried" became a dirty word) but a lot of people seem to foget that Kentucky Fried Chicken was just a product at a restaurant called Gino's and not always a restaurant unto itself.

I used to LOVE Little Caeser's, and thought they had closed, but then learned here on CD they still exist, but just not near me. But last week I saw in a strip mall "coming soon: Little Caeser's"!!!!

There are some chains that I think SHOULD have closed down, and I don't know how they do any business, while some great places have closed. But that could be a whole other thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I miss Chi Chi's soooo much! The Chevy's in my area all closed down, too, but they aren't on the "defunct" list, so they must still exist somewhere. We also lost our Don Pablo's, so no chain mexican for me

I remember Rustler steakhouse, but we really didn't eat there so I don't really miss it. Ditto for Bob's Big Boy. Drove by, but rarely, if ever, went in. I'm pretty sure Howard Johnson's is still open, but I can't say I've ever gone in. Thought it was just a motel that maybe had breakfast for the guests.

We still have Roy Roger's but they are only in rest stops on the NJ and PA turnpikes, not in malls or free-standing stores anymore. We used to have Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips too, but I haven't seen one in years. But I see they do still exist somewhere.

I remember Sambo's was still around in the 70s when I was a kid. It was almost the same as Denny's.

We used to have Gino's, which sold burgers and fries, and also sold Kentucky Fried Chicken. In my region, the Gino's all closed down due to a "rat hair" rumor, but then a whole bunch of Kentucky Fried Chicken places opened (later renamed KFC of course, since "fried" became a dirty word) but a lot of people seem to foget that Kentucky Fried Chicken was just a product at a restaurant called Gino's and not always a restaurant unto itself.

I used to LOVE Little Caeser's, and thought they had closed, but then learned here on CD they still exist, but just not near me. But last week I saw in a strip mall "coming soon: Little Caeser's"!!!!

There are some chains that I think SHOULD have closed down, and I don't know how they do any business, while some great places have closed. But that could be a whole other thread.
There is a Don Pablo's less than a mile from my house. Probably one of the few left, as all the others I knew of closed down.

There are at least a dozen Little Caesar's that have opened in strip malls in our area over the past several years. One is even an all-you-can-eat pizza, salad and breadstick buffet.

Hardees bought Roy Rogers, and some of the Hardees here sell Roy Rogers food.

I loved Chevy's too, they had the best "fresh smashed" guacamole.

But Chi Chi's was where we had all of our special occasions, we all loved it. One by one they all closed in our area. When the Chi Chi's closest to us closed then we went to the next closest. Finally they all closed in Indiana but there was one left in Illinois. That was the last Chi Chi's that I knew of.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
I remember Hardee's! I thought they all closed years ago too. At least they did in my area.

When Roy Rogers first arrived in my area (South Jersey in the early 70s) their fried chicken was "Pappy Parker Fried Chicken." Only later did it all go by the Roy
Roger's name.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:46 PM

203 posts, read 511,569 times
Ponderosa
Steak N Ale
Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips
York Steakhouse
Der Weinersnitzel (sp?)
The little diner in JCPenney's
Shakey's Pizza
Pusch's Cafeteria

Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I remember Hardee's! I thought they all closed years ago too. At least they did in my area.

When Roy Rogers first arrived in my area (South Jersey in the early 70s) their fried chicken was "Pappy Parker Fried Chicken." Only later did it all go by the Roy
Roger's name.
lots of Hardees still around but I don't know about Roy Rogers. We loved them when we lived in Alex, VA. We loved to put our own condiments on the burgers. I think they are gone now, but I am not sure. We don't have either around here.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:42 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Lum's, Horn and Hardarts, and Gino's (supposed to be coming back).
They are "back" in Towson, but it is not the same Gino's quality.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoptstrays View Post
Ponderosa
Steak N Ale
Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips
York Steakhouse
Der Weinersnitzel (sp?)
The little diner in JCPenney's
Shakey's Pizza
Pusch's Cafeteria
Still have Der Weinersnitzel in Texas I think and we were just told Shakey's is still in So Ca. We loved Arthur Treasters Fish and chips when our kids were little.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM

To think of a few..

Burger Chef
Farrells ice cream
Bob's Big Boy
Ponderosa
Quincy's
Stuckey's
Ho Jo's
Sizzler
Saturdays..This was back in the 70s
Horn and Horn smorgasbord
Hot Shoppes
Morrison's
A&G cafeteria (a New Orleans chain)

Old 07-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
While I LOVE the southern cafteria chains - Picadilly's. Luby's, and Furr's, I find that about 80%+ of the clientele are 50+. In other words, they are dying off gradually. I like those places as I can get a vegetable plate of 3-4 vegetables and a salad. Where else can you get vegetables at a restaurant these days? (And when I am in Texas, you need a break from all that BBQ.)

I liked Morrison's the best.

As for Pizza Inns, they are around, especially in teh central states. I like their pizza buffet at lunch. It os a lot better than Pizza Hut.
Love Picadilly when I get down South. I did try Luby's when we were in Tx..Was OK, but wouldn't go out of my way to go again.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
To think of a few..

Burger Chef
Farrells ice cream
Bob's Big Boy
Ponderosa
Quincy's
Stuckey's
Ho Jo's
Sizzler
Saturdays..This was back in the 70s
Horn and Horn smorgasbord
Hot Shoppes
Morrison's
A&G cafeteria (a New Orleans chain)
Frisch's Big Boy still has locations in Ohio, similar menu to Bob's Big Boy.

Several Ponderosa locations in Indiana that I know of, and at least a couple of Bonanzas.

A few Stuckey's left in Indiana.

There is a Sizzler where my parents live in Ohio.

Sounds like you need to take a trip to the Midwest to visit some of your favorite restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink