Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer buffets or cafeterias?
Buffet 13 65.00%
Cafeteria 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:13 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes, I think you are over reacting and no, I have never seen anyone sneeze on the food. If you don't eat at them how would you know? That is why they have the plastic shields, to protect people just in case. I will tell you, most of us have gotten food poisoning from something or another in our lives and to think it can happen at any buffet is really over the top. It did not happen due to someone picking up food and putting it back, it happened due to improper storage and this happens in all kinds of establishments. Do you read the health reports in your local pape? That being said, many people do not like buffets, me being one of them, but not for the reason you give. How do you know your waiter at a sit down restaurant does not have cold and has not washed his/ her hands since they sneezed? Is this going to keep you from eating at a sit down restaurant?

One of my co-workers at the high school cafteria took a summer job at our local diner last year during the months school was closed. She told us the grossest stories - how they didn't practice any of the hygiene methods we observe at the school cafeteria (such as wearing gloves when handling food), and the kitchen was filthy. There was seldom any soap in the employee restroom. DH and I will never eat there again.

I once got food poisoning at a Christmas party buffet, not from the food, but from contaminated ice in my pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,023,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes, I think you are over reacting and no, I have never seen anyone sneeze on the food. If you don't eat at them how would you know? That is why they have the plastic shields, to protect people just in case. I will tell you, most of us have gotten food poisoning from something or another in our lives and to think it can happen at any buffet is really over the top. It did not happen due to someone picking up food and putting it back, it happened due to improper storage and this happens in all kinds of establishments. Do you read the health reports in your local pape? That being said, many people do not like buffets, me being one of them, but not for the reason you give. How do you know your waiter at a sit down restaurant does not have cold and has not washed his/ her hands since they sneezed? Is this going to keep you from eating at a sit down restaurant?
I no longer eat at buffets. I did at one time and got sick. The cause of the food poisoning (from multiple cases) was the improper temperature at the buffet, not when cooked. As for waiters at a sit down restaurant, I've never gotten sick after eating at one. I do look at the health dept rating as soon as I arrive
It's sort of like not being able to eat the last thing you had before getting sick, whether the food had anything to do with it or not.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:52 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
I no longer eat at buffets. I did at one time and got sick. The cause of the food poisoning (from multiple cases) was the improper temperature at the buffet, not when cooked. As for waiters at a sit down restaurant, I've never gotten sick after eating at one. I do look at the health dept rating as soon as I arrive
It's sort of like not being able to eat the last thing you had before getting sick, whether the food had anything to do with it or not.

That was one of the FIRST things I learned when I started working at the school cafeteria - both as cook and helping out in the serving line. Take temperatures often and record them! We take temps when taking food out of the ovens and steamers, when received at the outside schools in the hot boxes, and we periodically take and record temps when the food is on the serving line, between lunches. You can't be too careful! We also do not touch any food unless we are wearing gloves (we change them when we switch working with foods, such as chicken or other meat to vegetables) and wash our hands before changing our gloves. We go through boxes of them. We also go to seminars periodically on safe food handling and procedures. I don't know about what they do in restaurants with the public, but we can't have kids getting sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink