Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Few diners head to Friendly’s or Waffle House expecting top-of-the-line cuisine, service or ambience. The results of a new survey indicate that these chains seem to live up to their expectations.

Read more: 'Consumer Reports': Friendly's, Waffle House Miss Mark | Moneyland | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
It depends largely (almost exclusively?) on the management of the local restaurant.

I live in a city that's big enough to have (for instance) multiple iHop Restaurants. While one may be absolutely horrible, another one several miles across town might be absolutely outstanding.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,566 times
I love Waffle House, especially for breakfast on a long road trip.

I don't know, there is something about Waffle House...whenever I see one on the highway I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I've never been in a Friendly's that appeared clean or cheerful. I've gone into several locations in NJ and PA, usually because that's where someone (who has kids) wanted to meet me, or because I was getting an oil change or other car work done, and it was right next door. There are usually broken floor tiles, sticky tables, cracked booths, and overhead lights that are flickering. If I must have a Fribble, I'll use the walk-up window, but inside is just sad and bleak.

Only went to one Waffle House in Lancaster PA, (near F&M University). It was very clean, but very run-down and dreary.

I do think for most chains there is a big difference in how places are run.
There's should not be so much difference in my opinion. The reason people go to chains is for consistency (not for the gastronomic experience). I thought that chains and franchises had company-wide standards that all locations must meet, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

For example, I just went to a Pizza Hut for lunch when I had to go to a meeting in Edison NJ. The Pizza Hut near me has a wonderful all-you-can-eat buffet at lunch, with salads, all kinds of pizza, made fresh and hot, and dessert pizza. The Pizza Hut I'm familar with is also bright and clean, with nice staff, and the customer are all middle-class-looking folks getting lunch during the work day or taking their kids out for a cheap pizza buffet.

This dump in the Edison area was cruddy (I didn't notice until I was already seated), the table was sticky, and I had to ask for another drink, because my cup seemed dirty. They had a very "stingy" pizza buffet, only 4 new pies at a time came out, and the remainder of two older ones were dried up and just sat there. They wouldn't bring out new pies until the 4 newest ones had gone. They only made pan pizza, not a single thin crust pizza (my favorite) came out the whole time. The salad was wilted and looked old (and no one was eating it). It seemed they were waiting to bring out new salad when people finished what was there, but it looked so awful, no one would finish it. And you would expect "normal" pizzas to come out: pepperoni, mushroom, plain, in addition to the other combinations of toppings.

This place just brought out pan pizza with the most fattening toppings: No mushroom, but a "ham, sausage, and mushroom." Or they also brought out, one after another, pan pizza with jalapenos and black olives. Yech! How would they think that was a common combo to put in the buffet? The clientele seemed a little "different" from my usual Pizza Hut, and they all seemed to want the fattening stuff and the jalapenos.

I was pretty much stuck there, as I didn't know my way around, and had to get back at a certain time, or I'd have walked out and found another place. I also kept harboring the hope that they would suddenly bring out 8 really good thin crust pizzas and new salad. They also did not have unsweetened iced tea like the Pizza Hut near me has. They only had sickening sweet raspberry tea.

I politely tried to voice my complaints to the manager, but I don't think she understood English, as she just smiled at me and nodded.

I really think chains need to be consistent from location to location and they should get spot-checks to see that they are staying up to company standards.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I had stopped off the interstate at an exit about 50 miles north of Indianapolis to get some coffee. There were six or seven gas stations at the exit and a waffle house. My coworker doesn't care for gas station coffee, so we went into the Waffle House to get large coffee to go.

We ordered at the register, and my coworked added that he would like cream and sugar. The hostess, an older woman wearing a starched white uniform, said that he could have creamer but they didn't have sugar.

Then she gave us an "are-you-dumber-than-dirt" look and said. "We had THE SUPER BOWL here last week, OF COURSE WE DON'T HAVE SUGAR!!"

This was hilarious because first, the Super Bowl had been ten days before, and second, this little town 50 miles north of Indy was a long way from the Super Bowl venue. If they had truly run out of sugar because they had such an incredible rush of business for the Super Bowl, couldn't they have run to the grocery store to buy a bag some time in the past ten days?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
As far as I am concerned all family restaurants suck.

What is a "family restaurant" anyway? A place with boring gross fried food and no alcohol"

Yeah, that's what I thought...

Local etnic restaurants are inexpensive and offer more healthy fare.

Now THAT'S a family value!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
And when I do go to chains, I prefer the ones with booze!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As far as I am concerned all family restaurants suck.

What is a "family restaurant" anyway? A place with boring gross fried food and no alcohol"

Yeah, that's what I thought...

Local etnic restaurants are inexpensive and offer more healthy fare.

Now THAT'S a family value!
In my hometown of Cleveland, "family restaurants" are local, ethnic (Greek-run) restaurants. Just not the kind you like, I guess.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
We rarely frequent chain restaurants, we're not interested in their "food" (and I use that term loosely) or their "ambience". I don't understand why Americans frequent chain restaurants in droves, and I'm an American. If they are not expecting real food, good service or cleanliness, why even go?

Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
We go to very few chain restaurants. We are blessed to live in an area with a lot of unique and wonderful places to eat.

There was a "Friendly's" in our area that went out of business last year. I always laugh when I think of that place because I once read a review on the internet from some disgruntled customers that complained their waitress was terrible and also kept telling them how she was suffering from "the Big "D"... LOL That was enough to turn me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink