Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,681,743 times

Advertisements

Made dandelion porridge for less than 50 cents....
Dandelion = free (can be eaten as salad raw)

I experimented with dandelion for its anti-cancer properties as well as a "forage" forest "free" food project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 01:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
1/2 pound ground beef for $1.75??? Not here on LI, 1/2 ground beef is at least $4.00
At wegman's during promo... 1 lb ground beef is $1.99... most inexpensive of many places.
Weis is like $3.99 per lb.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:47 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
No problem, beef and noodles, spaghetti, chicken and noodles, tuna salad stuff, fresh vegetables in a salad with a jello dessert. Lots of things can be prepared with $5.00 in my house.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:39 AM

16,903 posts, read 16,116,328 times
A large can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew added to a 16 ounce bag of fresh cooked egg noodles. Keep eatin' out of that big ol' bowl over and over.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
A large can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew added to a 16 ounce bag of fresh cooked egg noodles. Keep eatin' out of that big ol' bowl over and over.
Thats does sound good, DAMN good for a camp meal as well. Toss a fried egg and some salsa on top and you have breakfast. I am all about multitasking when it comes to meals.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
While I like mackerel (grilled), I'm not sure it would be considered "brilliant".
It probably depends on where in the world we live, the same with SArines. They make a mice, enjoyable and healthy lunch, but hardly would they be considered brillant by any stretch of my imagination. The same with salmon patties, I could make them plus a small salad for about $5 for two, but certainly that isn't what most would think of a brillant. The more I think of this, the more I realize, there is no way anyone can fix a brillant dinner for $5 for 2 people, especailly starting totally from scratch...

Old 07-14-2012, 09:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Leg quarters are usually ~.50/lb here. I'd get a pound.

Broccoli is usually ~.75/lb. I'd get one pound of broccoli.

Egg noodles are $1.

A can of cream of mushroom soup ~.75.

One of those cheap salt/pepper combo packs $1.

The remaining change would be used to buy deli cheese.

Chicken and broccoli casserole!

This may not be stellar but I think I did okay.
Maybe those prices are avail where you live, but we are seeing how they vary from place to place. I get ground chuck for about $3.50 a lb on sale here all the time, sometimes even a tiny bit less but the cheapest we have seen the leg quarters lately, even on sale, in 10 lbs bags has been about .50 a lb. usually they go on sale for .69 lb. Broccoli hasn't been less than $1.29 a lb for a year or more here, mushroom soup used to be about .69 at $ General for instance, now the cheapest it is anyplace, even on sale is closer to .85 a can. The chicken and broccoli casserole sounds great, would be pretty inexpensive, but I still don't think you could do an entire brillant meal for $5.00, but you could come close.

The secret word here is "brillant" what does that mean? it seems to mean something different to each of us....

Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe those prices are avail where you live, but we are seeing how they vary from place to place. I get ground chuck for about $3.50 a lb on sale here all the time, sometimes even a tiny bit less but the cheapest we have seen the leg quarters lately, even on sale, in 10 lbs bags has been about .50 a lb. usually they go on sale for .69 lb. Broccoli hasn't been less than $1.29 a lb for a year or more here, mushroom soup used to be about .69 at $ General for instance, now the cheapest it is anyplace, even on sale is closer to .85 a can. The chicken and broccoli casserole sounds great, would be pretty inexpensive, but I still don't think you could do an entire brillant meal for $5.00, but you could come close.

The secret word here is "brillant" what does that mean? it seems to mean something different to each of us....
I live in an area with a huge diversity of people. The prices I quoted are from a huge international market that caters to the diversity. Chicken in some form is always much less than $1/lb. Even breasts go on sale for .99/lb here and there. The catch is they are usually packaged in ~$5 increments.

When I first moved here in 2009 they had a fall sale where smaller whole frying chickens were $1. The sale last 3 days and limit was 2 per purchase. By the end of that sale we had over 20 chickens cut up, bagged for meals, and in my deep freezer. I've been waiting for that sale again but unfortunately it hasn't happened since.

The produce here is usually dirt cheap, especially this time of year. They sometimes run 10/$1 sales. Maybe in the winter broccoli is over $1/lb but it averages .75/pound when not on sale.

Taxes are high here(IL) but the food prices and sales tax on grocery is doable.

Btw, I think I could make a couple cheap pasta dishes and maybe even tacos of some sorts.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
A brilliant meal is one I'll remember with pleasure for the rest of my life as outstanding artistry. I'm 68 and I've had perhaps fifteen in my life, and I have eaten at good restaurants my entire life. It often means doing something unexpected. I recall a lobster and asparaus omlette, simple but magnificent.
Brilliant meals are always marked by the best ingredients and care in preparation. Whether they're simple or complicated isn't relevant.

A brilliant meal needs no occasion; it's an occasion in itself. When it's unexpected the pleasure is only heightened.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Any meal, when you are really hungry is good. Today, we had pancakes with fresh strawberries, pancake mix, $2.D0, strawberries, free from garden. Cup of coffee, purchased small pack Millstone, $2.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink